Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

what do you guys do for $ care to share.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you guys do for $ care to share.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

comes quick, usually go quick. Florida is usuaaly full of promoters of "the fountain of youth". You'd figure people learn after 300+years that it doesn't exist.

Right ideas come easy, but it takes the right people AND the right time. Hard work always pay off in the long run. If ou're a marketing guru, hook up with a visionary and a technical guru . . . guarantee success. In a company setting, it's about networking with the right people.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

like he say, Hard work always pay off in the long run.
I whated to start a business myself in HK but itis very hard.

I in HK so dont know much about FL, been there very nice I like the place.
I am lucky I have a few house for ranting and made alot of money on selling house and liveing off my stocks and intress in the bank and I do have a full time job in doing 3D in HK and full time on E60 forum
Itis very hard in HK to find a job doing 3D 5 day work and 9am to 5.30pm. :thumbsdown:
Old 11-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Hey guy, it really sounds like you don't know what you want yet, the only thing is clear is you want the big money. You can make money so many different ways if you just commit yourself to trying to be the best at what you do. My uncle is an investor with merril lynch and had to take a $20k pay cut when he went to work for them about 15 years ago. (thats was lot of damn money 15 yrs ago) He had is eye on the prize and realized he had to sacrifice for the ultimate payoff, which he has now in the mid 6 figures. You are young, enjoying some high dollar toys that may not be appropriate for your income (assumption). Don't be afraid to give up on some of the good life for the big payoff down the road and try to be the best at whatever you do. Most will tell you that many successful people have given up a lot to enjoy what they have. You could be the next one to repeat those words.

I am from Ft Lauderdale and it is easy to get caught up in the hype of big money and fast cars, too many people are driving around south beach in a pretty car but still living in moms house.

Good luck in life!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by lightfytr' post='493179' date='Nov 12 2007, 06:07 AM
Hey guy, it really sounds like you don't know what you want yet, the only thing is clear is you want the big money. You can make money so many different ways if you just commit yourself to trying to be the best at what you do. My uncle is an investor with merril lynch and had to take a $20k pay cut when he went to work for them about 15 years ago. (thats was lot of damn money 15 yrs ago) He had is eye on the prize and realized he had to sacrifice for the ultimate payoff, which he has now in the mid 6 figures. You are young, enjoying some high dollar toys that may not be appropriate for your income (assumption). Don't be afraid to give up on some of the good life for the big payoff down the road and try to be the best at whatever you do. Most will tell you that many successful people have given up a lot to enjoy what they have. You could be the next one to repeat those words.

I am from Ft Lauderdale and it is easy to get caught up in the hype of big money and fast cars, too many people are driving around south beach in a pretty car but still living in moms house.

Good luck in life!
What he said..... Congrats & good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:18 AM
Contributors

Personally I find the most profitable lines are drug dealing, prostitution and human trafficking. Ideally you should work your way up the ranks quite quickly, as the higher you get, the less likely you are to be caught and the more money you make. This is especially true in prostitution where the entry level positions are, well, quite literally, entry level positions.

In addition to the above, you also need a "front", which is a 9-5 mon-fri job which you can do so that your friends, family, neighbours, tax man and the police do not suspect anything. I personally am in the IT industry ... started out in tech support around 11 years ago and worked my way up through hard work, sweat and dedication (I have to write that in case my boss is reading - and if you are - the first paragraph isn't true). I generally found promotion (and the accompanying pay rise) by speaking out, getting myself known, and being the pioneer and person who got things done. I stayed in the same company for nearly ten years and by the time I left was responsible for IT and Database systems across 10 countries and 25 offices. Whilst working, I gained a BSc Degree through open university and OCP Oracle Database qualification which all helped (self funded). I left there and joined my current company where I have been for just over a year. I took a small pay cut to move. At the last company, I was at the peak of where I was going to get. Here, I am at the bottom (of the management chain and what I can potentially achieve in the organisation). Within 3 months of joining this company I took my first promotion and pay rise and was earning more than my last company. You _HAVE_ to be prepared to make sideways and sometimes backward steps. It is better to be at the bottom of a very long ladder working your way up, than at the top of a very short ladder with nowhere to go. I am currently studying towards an MBA. This takes around 3 hours a day. On top of my "9-5" job. On top of being married and having to help "run the house". On top of having 3 young demanding children (ages 10, 8 and 6). And on top of everything else. Many people think I'm mad ... but I'm 33, will have an MBA by the time I am 34, and then I can put study on hold (or stop altogether, but one day would like a pHd) and start pushing forward in my career again.

The main thing is to try and get in to an industry / job that you enjoy. When you are in your 30's or 40's, there is no point getting up at 6am and going to a job you hate just to have an extra few hundred pounds/dollars in your bank each month.

You have asked on a forum the same question that everybody finds themselves asking. But ultimately only you can find the right answer.

Good luck young man
Old 11-12-2007, 04:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='493201' date='Nov 12 2007, 09:18 PM
Personally I find the most profitable lines are drug dealing, prostitution and human trafficking. Ideally you should work your way up the ranks quite quickly, as the higher you get, the less likely you are to be caught and the more money you make. This is especially true in prostitution where the entry level positions are, well, quite literally, entry level positions.

In addition to the above, you also need a "front", which is a 9-5 mon-fri job which you can do so that your friends, family, neighbours, tax man and the police do not suspect anything. I personally am in the IT industry ... started out in tech support around 11 years ago and worked my way up through hard work, sweat and dedication (I have to write that in case my boss is reading - and if you are - the first paragraph isn't true). I generally found promotion (and the accompanying pay rise) by speaking out, getting myself known, and being the pioneer and person who got things done. I stayed in the same company for nearly ten years and by the time I left was responsible for IT and Database systems across 10 countries and 25 offices. Whilst working, I gained a BSc Degree through open university and OCP Oracle Database qualification which all helped (self funded). I left there and joined my current company where I have been for just over a year. I took a small pay cut to move. At the last company, I was at the peak of where I was going to get. Here, I am at the bottom (of the management chain and what I can potentially achieve in the organisation). Within 3 months of joining this company I took my first promotion and pay rise and was earning more than my last company. You _HAVE_ to be prepared to make sideways and sometimes backward steps. It is better to be at the bottom of a very long ladder working your way up, than at the top of a very short ladder with nowhere to go. I am currently studying towards an MBA. This takes around 3 hours a day. On top of my "9-5" job. On top of being married and having to help "run the house". On top of having 3 young demanding children (ages 10, 8 and 6). And on top of everything else. Many people think I'm mad ... but I'm 33, will have an MBA by the time I am 34, and then I can put study on hold (or stop altogether, but one day would like a pHd) and start pushing forward in my career again.

The main thing is to try and get in to an industry / job that you enjoy. When you are in your 30's or 40's, there is no point getting up at 6am and going to a job you hate just to have an extra few hundred pounds/dollars in your bank each month.

You have asked on a forum the same question that everybody finds themselves asking. But ultimately only you can find the right answer.

Good luck young man
yes that is 100% right I know a few, in HK.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lightfytr' post='493179' date='Nov 12 2007, 06:07 AM

Good luck in life!
good reply, yes i know of a couple people like your uncle at the insurance office i am appointed to.. couple guys made a lame 20k their 1st year and now 3 to 4 years they are in 6 figure #'s. I hear you but dont worry i don't get caught up with the hype of south beach.. iv'e just been into cars my whole life.. i dont really spend much of my disposable income on other things like my friends clubs, clothes,jewelry ect.. my happiness is a nice car... and yeah dont be fooled i got my e60 CPO and my payments are the same as if I had an accord V6.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='493201' date='Nov 12 2007, 08:18 AM

Good luck young man
that 1st paragraph was halarius.... I enjoyed reading your reply i like the latter analogy I agree... I do know some what where I want t go with my career.. just interested in seing what the e60 community does.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

It really doesn't matter what any of us do. We all know the obvious high-paying jobs - doctor, lawyer, CxO, drug dealer... Some (many?) of us have chosen those areas for our careers. Most others are probably more obscure. As an example, I have a friend that paints houses, yet he has a garage full of $60k+ cars, a multi-million dollar home, and anything most of us could ever want. The difference is he started doing it by himself and now has a crew of 150+ employees doing it for him.

Some things I think are critical to success in one's career, financial or otherwise, include:

1. Passion - There is no substitute for loving what you do, whatever it is. If you don't love it, motivating yourself to do it and be VERY good at it will be almost impossible.

2. Ownership - I don't mean owning things. I mean owning your present and future. Take control of it, have a plan, even if it is just as far out as next week. Learn from your mistakes *and* successes. Make them your own.

3. Ambition - I am passionate about drinking beer, but you don't see me doing it every day. I am passionate about my career as well. The key difference is that while I really like drinking beer, its not going to help me go places in life. Take that passion in your career, and focus your energies on it. Feed it. Let it thrive. Always be looking for something better from it, whether it be a promotion, a better way of solving a problem, a better way of working with your team, etc.

4. Introspection - you alone are the key to your own success. Know your weak points as well as you know your strong points. Work on them to make them stronger. Make your strong points stronger. Analyze yourself, understand yourself, and find the ways to make yourself perform at the highest levels.

5. Self promotion - Nobody is going to hire you, give you a raise, or a promotion if you are not selling yourself to them. I'm not saying you should brag - nobody likes a braggart. I'm saying you should advertise your successes creatively.

6. Be good to those around you - they can knock you down much more quickly than they can lift you up, and once that has happened it is much harder to get that momentum going again.

7. Take risks wisely - Most entreprenurial books/lessons hype the need to take risks, to stay outside of your comfort zone. Most of them also lack the statement "but be smart about it". I've seen too many wonderful attempts thwarted by stupid risks. Think and calculate before you act. Know the drawbacks intimately.

8. Network - establish yourself as someone to know in your field. This doesn't mean being the know-it-all, unabashed leech. It means making and keeping contacts, putting people together, and helping where you can. This will help people remember you in a time of need. You want this.

9. Pay your dues - don't buy that expensive home, car, watch, whatever, until you can really afford it. Be patient... you'll have your day.

Lastly, SUCCESS DOES NOT EQUAL MONEY, at least not always. Success is really just a long string of smaller successes. Collect them, savor them, and enjoy them.

Quick Reply: what do you guys do for $ care to share.