Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

what to do with a gf that constantly complains about her work

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

every day my girlfriend is complaining about how catty the environment is (it's 100% female in her department). she told a coworker she forgot to complete a task in a polite manner, and now that coworker is complaining to the boss about my girlfriend, trying to make her look bad. it a tough economy, it's incredible that people would be able to sleep at night after trying to ruin a person's reputation at work, just because they didn't like being told they messed up.

anyone else going through this with their significant other? i'm losing my mind having to listen to this crap every single day. if this was a good economy, i'd tell her to just quit and be on her way. but there's barely any jobs in her field of specialty. i'm also not looking to break up with her, so that's out of the picture.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

LOL How old is she? And what industry does she work in?

You see, its very sensitive area you're touching on, I don't know how many people will feel 100% comfortable devouring their secrets on this subject that being said, I think it is always beneficial to cozy up to the owner/boss when the environment judges you on more than just results of your work. The ideal check-mate situation is to take on and complete so many tasks that the place will die out if you're not there - this is the BEST job security IMHO. If they can do without her over there, then basically there's a chance of her getting canned any minute. If she's the corner stone of the operation, it doesn't matter who complains and of what - all that BS gets swept aside when its time to count the beans.

IMHO, as a manager/boss, I don't even pay attention to situations involving "office politics". In my office they can come from above as well, so its a fine skill. But what affords me this luxury is the fact that I'm willing and able to do things that others in the company will not be able to do - not as readily or with as much skill as I would. Basically, when I go on vacation, I get calls all the time. And sick as it is, I actually love it. Not just because it tells me that I'm needed, but really because I love what I do and start missing my work on the 3rd-4th day of any vacation anyway LOL I know - I'm a sick puppy

Anyway, I hope that your gf can put all the bickering aside and just do her job better than everyone else. At the end of the day, if she's not being judged on her actual accomplishments, then that business won't be around too long anyway, so either way she needs to find another job - bad economy or not!!! Just bc its tough out there, doesn't mean you can stop eating, right?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

If she's your girlfiend, and she's having issues and work and she wants to talk about it. You my friend are going to have to put up with being her emotional tampon.
{===}~~~
It goes with the teritory.

Of course you can take her out, do things to occupy her thoughts in other ways....Lead the conversations....but when it comes down to it, She really wants you to listen to what she has to say and validate her feelings...

anymore sessions and I'll have to start charging ... but of course I'll give you the Forums discount
Old 05-07-2010, 04:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

pardon me, but give her a good -you know what- that night and she wont talk about it for the rest of THAT evening at least..lol..
Old 05-07-2010, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by melimel
pardon me, but give her a good -you know what- that night and she wont talk about it for the rest of THAT evening at least..lol..
Ha! Not a bad idea Mel unless the work stress is putting his GF out of the mood. Not that I'd know from personal experience....

I think that there is a lesson to this -- many people get so crazy when their coworkers question their competence at work. It is no different where I work. The self-confident, secure colleague will welcome constructive criticism. The insecure (usually incompetent) colleague will bristle at even the slightest, most beniegn constructive criticism and feel threatened. And you have to know your audience before criticizing their work. When I was a Special Counsel (basically, a senior associate with a nicer title) at my firm, I never went into a colleague's office and criticized their work -- unless it was a subordinate. And even then, it was along the lines of "here's how I think you could do this even better".

It may make sense for the OP's GF to ask her colleague for a cease fire along the lines of don't mess with me and I won't mess with you.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by Audi_Eatter
If she's your girlfiend, and she's having issues and work and she wants to talk about it. You my friend are going to have to put up with being her emotional tampon.
{===}~~~
It goes with the teritory.

Of course you can take her out, do things to occupy her thoughts in other ways....Lead the conversations....but when it comes down to it, She really wants you to listen to what she has to say and validate her feelings...

anymore sessions and I'll have to start charging ... but of course I'll give you the Forums discount

Originally Posted by melimel

BWAHAHAHAHA!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Oh, I was hoping there'd be some kind of magical solution. I've been needing one for almost the same reason. Although the cause is different, the effect (unhappiness at work) is the same thing I get to listen to every day too. It only lasts 10 minutes usually but is uncomfortable. Trouble is she's earning easily 50% more than she'd get at any other job having been there for over 10 years and being indispensable and having got pay rises and promotions to get to this stage. It depresses her though at her colleagues stupidity. She's got a 6-month termination clause (from either side) though.

She says I earn easily enough for us both and although that's true, it's for an American company with 2-week termination in my contract. Although I'm fairly indispensable in my department, it can happen at any moment that the bean-counters and CEO can come to the conclusion that they want to terminate a business line that isn't making enough profit and that's then us both out of work in our 40s. If we can both just hang in there at this rate of earning for another 5 years we could retire anyway.

Still hoping some magical solution comes to the thread.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

hahaha yeah waiting it out would be ideal. if she could just out last some of these other people, she won't have to deal with them.

she's in HR, so it's 99% women who are 50% catty insecure people who get the smallest bit of power and want to push people around.

i use to work in a factory for toyota, that was 95% men, and when you messed up, you better believe everyone was going to tell you. but at the end of the day, it was a team effort. at her company, it just seems like everyone is looking out for themselves, and trying to position themselves by either sucking up or bad mouthing another coworker on baseless grounds.

i'm hoping she finds a new job soon so i can go back to enjoying our "relationship" after hours. instead of listening about her coworkers
Old 05-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Oh, I was hoping there'd be some kind of magical solution. I've been needing one for almost the same reason. Although the cause is different, the effect (unhappiness at work) is the same thing I get to listen to every day too. It only lasts 10 minutes usually but is uncomfortable. Trouble is she's earning easily 50% more than she'd get at any other job having been there for over 10 years and being indispensable and having got pay rises and promotions to get to this stage. It depresses her though at her colleagues stupidity. She's got a 6-month termination clause (from either side) though.

She says I earn easily enough for us both and although that's true, it's for an American company with 2-week termination in my contract. Although I'm fairly indispensable in my department, it can happen at any moment that the bean-counters and CEO can come to the conclusion that they want to terminate a business line that isn't making enough profit and that's then us both out of work in our 40s. If we can both just hang in there at this rate of earning for another 5 years we could retire anyway.

Still hoping some magical solution comes to the thread.
5 and out for the two of you sounds like a darn good exit strategy to me.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Well, we know what works for Mel...

Quick Reply: what to do with a gf that constantly complains about her work