Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What is the best mobile phone with Wi-Fi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Thumbs up

What would you choose for emails, browsing and voip calling.

1] Iphone 3GS seems still like a nice toy more than serious tool. I like its browser user-friendliness though.

2] Nokia E52 looks nice! Symbian S60 3rd edition can have bugs though (just returning E55 after 1 minute of using - displayed "Phone start-up failed. Please contact your retailer.) But E52 has a long-lasting memory and it's light!

3] Nokia N900 looks nice too but couldn't try it as it is still very new.

4] Blackberry - never tried any of them but they are popular in US, which one is good - Blackberry Bold?

5] Nokia N97 (mini) - reviewers say it's a slow phone and 3GS is better.

6] Palm Pre - what do you think?

What else? What do you use?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributors

For what it's worth my Samsung Omnia (a 910 everywhere else) is OK ... but the demands of the WinMob OS, broadband, and a smallish battery reduce it's usable use to 5-6 hrs/day and that's w/o making a lot of calls. And when I've installed a lot of apps, it's really really really slow but I think it's a limitation of the OS because it's got lots of on-board memory available and all my files and apps are installed on a separate 8gb card.

That said, it's got on-board GPS and WiFi - when I was in Ireland in May/June I used skype to call in and out of country because in the USA Verizon uses CDMA - not GSM - so I was not able to do a sim card swap and use the phone as a phone. Nonetheless, whenever I was in a hot-spot I had Internet and skype. It also has a pretty solid camera too.

If HTC cell phones are available where you are you should check them out - supposed to make a very good phone.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

from what i know, iphone 3gs, HTC hero, and blackbery tour or bold are the best phones out right now.
if youre not on a push email server or a corporate server then blackberrys are just ok...their email is the best in the business, but their browser and screen are just mediocre IMO.

im waiting to see what the sony ericsson satio looks like when it comes out....its suppose to be killer, but SE has a history of overpromising on things and then coming out with crappy stuff.
http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-pho...-ericsson-satio

check out engadgetmobile.com for the latest news/reviews...etc

whatever you buy it will be outdated in 6 months anyway
Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by hondik' post='1034149' date='Oct 16 2009, 01:06 PM
What would you choose for emails, browsing and voip calling.

1] Iphone 3GS seems still like a nice toy more than serious tool. I like its browser user-friendliness though.
The iPhone is far more than a toy! It is immensely suited to the three specific things you highlight. For me it has (by a massive margin) the best mobile browsing in the business, it supports Exhange as well as POP/IMAP email and there are also VOIP applications in the AppStore. For the things you've highlighted, it's well worth a look.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1034209' date='Oct 16 2009, 05:44 PM
The iPhone is far more than a toy! It is immensely suited to the three specific things you highlight. For me it has (by a massive margin) the best mobile browsing in the business, it supports Exhange as well as POP/IMAP email and there are also VOIP applications in the AppStore. For the things you've highlighted, it's well worth a look.
Absolutely agree.

I travel about once a month for business and the iPhone helps me:

1. Make cheap VoIP calls internationally (Skype)
2. Track the flight status (Flight Update)
3. Find good restaurants (Zagat)
4. Listen to internet radio (Wunder Radio)
5. Check my work mail and personal mail.
6. Watch the PGA live (PGA Tour)

Do I need to go on?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1034161' date='Oct 16 2009, 10:23 PM
For what it's worth my Samsung Omnia (a 910 everywhere else) is OK ... but the demands of the WinMob OS, broadband, and a smallish battery reduce it's usable use to 5-6 hrs/day and that's w/o making a lot of calls. And when I've installed a lot of apps, it's really really really slow but I think it's a limitation of the OS because it's got lots of on-board memory available and all my files and apps are installed on a separate 8gb card.

That said, it's got on-board GPS and WiFi - when I was in Ireland in May/June I used skype to call in and out of country because in the USA Verizon uses CDMA - not GSM - so I was not able to do a sim card swap and use the phone as a phone. Nonetheless, whenever I was in a hot-spot I had Internet and skype. It also has a pretty solid camera too.

If HTC cell phones are available where you are you should check them out - supposed to make a very good phone.
I heard this Samsung is good but since I am have a software development company and used to work as an IT support guy for a long time I have developed a strange antipathy against all that is based on Windows
Old 10-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Alright guys, thanks for all your inputs - here's what happened: I decided to get iPhone after your quick summaries so I jumped online, checked the prices and the cheapest iPhone I could buy (3GS 16GB unlocked from Apple) was for 800EUR. Which is quite a lot but I said OK. The thing is, when you want something, you want it now! So I decided to order it from the eshop that had it on stock but their cc processing form just didn't work. So I went to eBay to see other options. The best idea was to get it from Germany or Austria but still it would take some 3 days or so.. So I decided to give it a try and ordered it. For some reason, the seller couldn't accept online payment via cc and I'd have to top up my Paypal account but that would be another 2-3 days.
So I went shopping with kids that evening and by accident went to an electronics store and asked them about Nokia E52, E75, iPhone ... and they looked at me as if I was a fool who is trying to make jokes because they would never have anything like this on stock.. right OK so I was leaving when a young girl called at me saying she found one E52 under her desk - how funny..
The price of E52 is 280EUR which is a really fair price for such mobile so I bought it. It's a small and fast device with all you need so if it doesn't die like the E55 (there's a lot of negative feedback on these new Eseries)..

Let me know if you have questions regarding Nokia E52 I will be happy to review my user experience.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

Cool

Originally Posted by hondik' post='1035079' date='Oct 18 2009, 05:19 PM
Alright guys, thanks for all your inputs - here's what happened: I decided to get iPhone after your quick summaries so I jumped online, checked the prices and the cheapest iPhone I could buy (3GS 16GB unlocked from Apple) was for 800EUR. Which is quite a lot but I said OK. The thing is, when you want something, you want it now! So I decided to order it from the eshop that had it on stock but their cc processing form just didn't work. So I went to eBay to see other options. The best idea was to get it from Germany or Austria but still it would take some 3 days or so.. So I decided to give it a try and ordered it. For some reason, the seller couldn't accept online payment via cc and I'd have to top up my Paypal account but that would be another 2-3 days.
So I went shopping with kids that evening and by accident went to an electronics store and asked them about Nokia E52, E75, iPhone ... and they looked at me as if I was a fool who is trying to make jokes because they would never have anything like this on stock.. right OK so I was leaving when a young girl called at me saying she found one E52 under her desk - how funny..
The price of E52 is 280EUR which is a really fair price for such mobile so I bought it. It's a small and fast device with all you need so if it doesn't die like the E55 (there's a lot of negative feedback on these new Eseries)..

Let me know if you have questions regarding Nokia E52 I will be happy to review my user experience.
Ohhh bummer
Old 10-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Battery lasts about 50 hours with 24/7 Wi-Fi on and heavy usage in a day ~ 3-4 hours of calls so that's

And it's not dead yet .. Actually it's a really good phone and makes a great alternative to iPhone.

A disadvantage could be lack of applications compared to iPhone, the Nokia Ovi store isn't impressive but if your needs are Good mobile phone / Messaging device / Occasional web browsing / VoIP calling / Camera it does its job very well.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Contributors

Question

Originally Posted by hondik' post='1035069' date='Oct 18 2009, 10:06 AM
I heard this Samsung is good but since I am have a software development company and used to work as an IT support guy for a long time I have developed a strange antipathy against all that is based on Windows
I'm right there with ya ... sometimes it makes me wonder what the guys in Redmond will foist on us next

Quick Reply: What is the best mobile phone with Wi-Fi?