Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What's everybody's opinion on the upcoming Facebook IPO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by DD_545i
How must Mark's girlfriend (now wife) feel ? He deliberately held off from marrying her until the IPO was complete. What's wrong with that, you might think. Simple. She's not entitled to half of his $19 billion because he got it BEFORE they were married. Should they split up in future, she's got no claim on that. Only on monies earned after they got together.

Pretty nasty if you ask me. She must feel like shit after him doing that. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Smart man. How will she ever survive on the rest of the billions shes entitled to, AFTER?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by DD_545i
How must Mark's girlfriend (now wife) feel ? He deliberately held off from marrying her until the IPO was complete. What's wrong with that, you might think. Simple. She's not entitled to half of his $19 billion because he got it BEFORE they were married. Should they split up in future, she's got no claim on that. Only on monies earned after they got together.

Pretty nasty if you ask me. She must feel like shit after him doing that. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Eh, story I heard was that they were waiting for her to graduate from med school before the marriage.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Eh, story I heard was that they were waiting for her to graduate from med school before the marriage.
Amazing coincidence then, that she graduated the day before also. I bet that was just the story he was using, hoping she'd not notice the real one. We don't need to feel financially sorry for her, there's no way she's exiting that marriage without a billion (if Mark still has some billions), but it's sadly cynical of him to do that under her nose.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Nope
Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Contributors

LOL @ current price
Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Lots of good advice. I did not buy, after all, and I feel pretty good about that. At the rate they're dropping there might be a good chance to pick some up in the low teens.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
Lots of good advice. I did not buy, after all, and I feel pretty good about that. At the rate they're dropping there might be a good chance to pick some up in the low teens.
The world has gotten a bit more smarter, but not much. The share is now down by a third.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Check out the stock price now, that is why I didn't buy. I've been making money off option puts though, so its not all bad. I read a article saying 80% of the clicks for ads are actually bots.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil
I read a article saying 80% of the clicks for ads are actually bots.
Yeah I saw that too. I wonder if that'll just fade away due to lack of interest, or cause a shit storm. I'd be nervous if I were long (or short) FB.

Originally Posted by tex_phil
Check out the stock price now, that is why I didn't buy. I've been making money off option puts though, so its not all bad.
Can you briefly explain how you're making money on puts if the stock is going down? I assume you weren't issuing them, just trading them somehow. I can see how if you're issuing puts, someone buys them, and the stock goes up instead of down, then you're a winner - you offered someone the right to sell at a price that was always lower than the current bid, so they expired worthless. But if you issued, and the price sunk, then you'd lose out. The price has been going down, that's why I'm curious.

I never got into options or shorting. I just played the straight buy/hold/sell on shares when I played the market (1998-2000 in the boom years).
Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Contributors

I used to do trading a few years back but got burned in 2008, I now trade options and some stock flips with a group in spare time. I buy calls or options around $1 a contract for max leverage. A put is basically a short against a stock. You are paying the $1 for the option to control 100 shares, its the options not the right to buy the underlying stock. So 1 contract is $100, I typically buy the monthly which gives me a month for expiration. These can expire completely worthless. How much the option changes is dependent on a few factors but the easiest one to understand is the delta, so if you have a delta of .40 cents the option will move .40 cents per $1 the underlying stock(fb) moves. So if you buy a 25put option last Friday or whatever, you can make 100% quickly with the stock dropping $2. You multiple that by multiple contracts and it can add up significantly. A couple of guys I trade with made 800% on AAPL call options since last week. I'm still learning how the game works which is a steep learning curve but there is alot of cash to be made with it. I typically only do a set number of stocks, which are very volitle and move(which is good) with these strategies. A explaination off investopedia may explain it a bit better.

Definition of 'Put Option'

An option contract giving the owner the right, but not the obligation, to sell a specified amount of an underlying security at a specified price within a specified time. This is the opposite of a call option, which gives the holder the right to buy shares.
Investopedia Says
Investopedia explains 'Put Option'
A put becomes more valuable as the price of the underlying stock depreciates relative to the strike price. For example, if you have one Mar 08 Taser 10 put, you have the right to sell 100 shares of Taser at $10 until March 2008 (usually the third Friday of the month). If shares of Taser fall to $5 and you exercise the option, you can purchase 100 shares of Taser for $5 in the market and sell the shares to the option's writer for $10 each, which means you make $500 (100 x ($10-$5)) on the put option. Note that the maximum amount of potential proft in this example ignores the premium paid to obtain the put option.

Quick Reply: What's everybody's opinion on the upcoming Facebook IPO?