Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What's everybody's opinion on the upcoming Facebook IPO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Thinking of dropping a small amount into their stock ($5-10K). What does everybody think? Worth it?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Not my cup of tea. Don't use the service so can't really comment on it but always seems to be a better model coming along in the internet world.

Having said that, if you can get in on the IPO I'm sure the offering will generate excitement and move up so worth a shot with some play money.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Too risky, its straight gambling, you have no idea what the IPO will do on open. How is facebook going to continue revenue growth? The operating cost profit is 1.7bn, and they are talking a 90bn market cap, 70x ebitda doesn't seem like a good buy. The chance of making money will be with the hype I guess.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:01 AM
Contributors

I don't like how Mark has already starting playing with his new cashpile before it has even arrived, wasting a billion on Instagram that even with the most optimistic of valuations was worth a tenth of that price (and even 100 mill seems ridiculous). It's a company with an app that uploads pics from your camera to a website, with some novelty image alterations for fuck's sake. What else is he going to waste money on? I can't help feeling that they're very close to peaking on the membership and/or peaking on the time spent on the site. When either of those start to drop, it'll make headlines that can go straight to the stock price under fears of another myspace.

Saying all that, I'm a facebook user and don't hate it at all. But there's no way I'd risk my money investing in it. It may well do brilliantly well.

Things like this don't exactly help.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

If their stock is anything like groupon where the stock is less then 1/2 of what it started at, then going to stay away til it stables out for now.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

$38 a share - not for me.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by DD_545i
I don't like how Mark has already starting playing with his new cashpile before it has even arrived, wasting a billion on Instagram that even with the most optimistic of valuations was worth a tenth of that price (and even 100 mill seems ridiculous). It's a company with an app that uploads pics from your camera to a website, with some novelty image alterations for fuck's sake. What else is he going to waste money on? I can't help feeling that they're very close to peaking on the membership and/or peaking on the time spent on the site. When either of those start to drop, it'll make headlines that can go straight to the stock price under fears of another myspace.

Saying all that, I'm a facebook user and don't hate it at all. But there's no way I'd risk my money investing in it. It may well do brilliantly well.

Things like this don't exactly help.
I still don't understand how instagram is worth $1billion, its mind boggling
Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by tex_phil
I still don't understand how instagram is worth $1billion, its mind boggling
Nice sell of 570 mil shares. Lots of very rich guys around FB HQ's in Menlo Park, CA.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Contributors

$31.1 and lawsuites etc... No a very good start.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Contributors

How must Mark's girlfriend (now wife) feel ? He deliberately held off from marrying her until the IPO was complete. What's wrong with that, you might think. Simple. She's not entitled to half of his $19 billion because he got it BEFORE they were married. Should they split up in future, she's got no claim on that. Only on monies earned after they got together.

Pretty nasty if you ask me. She must feel like shit after him doing that. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: What's everybody's opinion on the upcoming Facebook IPO?