Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Weekend trip Planed

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I am taking a gamble this weekend and taking the 545i to Murphys, CA for a wedding rather than my 4x4 Suburban. Pray the weather will only rain and not snow. I really want to take this trip in the new car. The one way trip is aprox 400 miles. I expect to put about 1,000 miles on the car this weekend. So far I have had the car since 10/21/04 and no problem, except for user error. (I don't count those).

I am getting the hang of the SMG and am loving every bit of it. Shifting is becoming smoother and I would swear the computer is learning my driving habbits and shifting in place now that it wasn't when I first picked up the car. Owning this car has been a learning experiance and kind of like having children. Treat it nice in the begining, teach it what you want it to do, then beat it silly when you want it to act right.

On anther note off topic, I flew home from San Francisco last night to Orange county and sat next to the editor of Kelly Blue Book. She was coming back from the press release of the new A6 Audi. She was very impressed with the car overall, but had a funny story.

She would agree, that all reporters are very biased towards software based automobiles. The new Audi A6 is no exception. When she and another reporter were doing track time in the car, the designer of the car was with her and for the whole drive, none of them, even the designer could figure out how to turn off the vent. She said the reporters were bashing the engineers and designers regarding the complexity of Audi's system. When she returned to the staging area, the electrical engineer from Audi had to show them, including the designer, a button on the dash which you have to hold for 3 seconds just to turn off the vent. She said it was absolutely priceless. Overall, she really liked the car, but was disapointed with the stying direction Audi is going with. The car is more agressive, but she really compaired the car to the Nissan Maxima. (what a shame)

Mechanically, she liked the V6 more than than the V8. The V8 was heavier and with the Quatro, not as quick as the V6 in feal. Compared to the E60, the Audi still isn't a true "drivers machine". Close, but not totally their yet.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:53 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Nov 10 2004, 09:27 AM
When she and another reporter were doing track time in the car, the designer of the car was with her and for the whole drive, none of them, even the designer could figure out how to turn off the vent.? She said the reporters were bashing the engineers and designers regarding the complexity of Audi's system.? When she returned to the staging area, the electrical engineer from Audi had to show them, including the designer, a button on the dash which you have to hold for 3 seconds just to turn off the vent.? She said it was absolutely priceless.
[snapback]54568[/snapback]
I had a very similar experience the first time I tried to reset the trip odometer. I spent about five minutes punching and dialing my way through iDrive at the pump and gave up. Three miles later in my garage, I discovered the manual reset button in the gauges.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Nov 10 2004, 09:27 AM
When she and another reporter were
I had a very similar experience the first time I tried to reset the trip odometer. I spent about five minutes punching and dialing my way through iDrive at the pump and gave up. Three miles later in my garage, I discovered the manual reset button in the gauges.
[snapback]54586[/snapback]
[/quote]

Shows you how we're conditioned to look for hi-tech solutions to low-tech problems.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Nov 10 2004, 05:27 AM
I am taking a gamble this weekend and taking the 545i to Murphys, CA for a wedding rather than my 4x4 Suburban.? Pray the weather will only rain and not snow.? I really want to take this trip in the new car.? The one way trip is aprox 400 miles.? I expect to put about 1,000 miles on the car this weekend.? So far I have had the car since 10/21/04 and no problem, except for user error.? (I don't count those).?

I am getting the hang of the SMG and am loving every bit of it.? Shifting is becoming smoother and I would swear the computer is learning my driving habbits and shifting in place now that it wasn't when I first picked up the car.? Owning this car has been a learning experiance and kind of like having children.? Treat it nice in the begining, teach it what you want it to do, then beat it silly when you want it to act right.?

On anther note off topic, I flew home from San Francisco last night to Orange county and sat next to the editor of Kelly Blue Book.? She was coming back from the press release of the new A6 Audi.? She was very impressed with the car overall, but had a funny story.?

She would agree, that all reporters are very biased towards software based automobiles.? The new Audi A6 is no exception.? When she and another reporter were doing track time in the car, the designer of the car was with her and for the whole drive, none of them, even the designer could figure out how to turn off the vent.? She said the reporters were bashing the engineers and designers regarding the complexity of Audi's system.? When she returned to the staging area, the electrical engineer from Audi had to show them, including the designer, a button on the dash which you have to hold for 3 seconds just to turn off the vent.? She said it was absolutely priceless.? Overall, she really liked the car,? but was disapointed with the stying direction Audi is going with.? The car is more agressive, but she really compaired the car to the Nissan Maxima.? (what a shame)?

Mechanically, she liked the V6 more than than the V8.? The V8 was heavier and with the Quatro, not as quick as the V6 in feal.? Compared to the E60, the Audi still isn't a true "drivers machine".? Close, but not totally their yet.
[snapback]54568[/snapback]
it's a wedding party, who wants to see your suburban . wash your baby and let her shine . prepare for all the envious lookings and questions .

so did you ask her to increase our cars' resale value a bit .
Old 11-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Contributors

Back from the trip. over 1,300 miles in 3 days.

345 miles, Rancho Santa Margaria to Merced 241, 91, 57, 210, 5, 99
140 miles, Merced to Yosemity hwy 140
75 miles, Yosemity to Murphys 120, Back Roads, 49, 4
45 miles, Murphys to Bear Valley to Murphys
75 miles, Murphys to Calavarius Big Trees to Murphys
50 Miles, Murphys to Mercer Caves, to Murphys
120 miles, Murphys to Merced
345 miles Murphys to Merded

Missalaneous Miles 150

Had a great trip. Will post more details later. I took some great photos of the car in Yosemity with El Capitan in the back ground.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Nov 14 2004, 09:49 PM
Back from the trip.? over 1,300 miles in 3 days.?

75 miles, Yosemity to Murphys? 120, Back Roads, 49, 4

Missalaneous Miles 150

Had a great trip. Will post more details later.? I took some great photos of the car in Yosemity with El Capitan in the back ground.
[snapback]56273[/snapback]
Hey Michael so how was the gas milage on your road trip? I'm not really a person that worries about mpg but just curious to know since there is a thread floating around reguarding that. No other problems encountered right?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Nov 14 2004, 06:49 PM
Back from the trip.? over 1,300 miles in 3 days.?

75 miles, Yosemity to Murphys? 120, Back Roads, 49, 4

Missalaneous Miles 150

Had a great trip. Will post more details later.? I took some great photos of the car in Yosemity with El Capitan in the back ground.
[snapback]56273[/snapback]
welcome back .
Old 11-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Nov 14 2004, 11:22 PM
Hey Michael so how was the gas milage on your road trip? I'm not really a person that worries about mpg but just curious to know since there is a thread floating around reguarding that. No other problems encountered right??
[snapback]56287[/snapback]
On the way back, I averaged 23.7 mpg with an average speed of 70.9 mph for a duration of 333 miles.

I didn't have any problems with the car. The only problem on the trip was that I had to let a Subaru Outback follow me into Yosemity. What a shame I couldn't push the car on the great windy roads. If anyone is ever planning a trip to the Sierra Navadas let me know. I know these road well and could give you pointers on great twistys.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:29 AM
Contributors

This is one of my favorite photos of the trip.

I posted more photos in my Gallery.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

very nice pic ! my friend just went there last month. when are you going to get your red reflectors ?

Quick Reply: Weekend trip Planed