Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Wall Street Protests

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by pjinca
I would agree with that, this IS a capitalist country. However, the disparity between the haves and have nots is getting much bigger and it is NOT due solely to laziness. The very rich are doing more than ever to protect their wealth and keep it within their social level, including congressman, senators, and the White House.
Look at the constant lack of funding for public education, the fact that the haves can send their children to private schools so they don't care that the public schools suck - in fact they probably prefer it. Then take into account the last round of cuts proposed by the Republicans, they wanted to eliminate HeadStart programs, despite the fact that studies show children who go to preschool are 70% more likely to graduate college. Why did they do this? Certainly not to "save the country" like they like to bullshit. It is not economical, since the cost of HeadStart programs in miniscule. It is social, because those that benefit from are the less fortunate, parents who are just hoping their children have a better future than them, but they want to deny them that.
I am not speaking from experience, I went to private school from preschool to 8th grade and went to a public high school only because I chose to (I was sick of wearing a uniform at the time, then right after high school I enlisted - go figure).

My point is instead of useless programs like farm subsidies and subsidies for oil companies we should focus on making this country live up to the bullshit that have apparently even clouded Vladdy's mind. If you think this is "the land of opportunity" you are sadly mistaken, your chances of making it to even middle class if you're poor are slim to nil. In my view the ONLY thing the government should provide is a GOOD education and healthcare, because without a good education and your health you have no shot at making past minimum wage.
Anyone who starts a conversation with the old tag line: "Anyone can make it in this country" is about to feed you some serious bullshit. That has not been true since before the founding fathers. In this country it's all about who you know (and poor people don't know rich people) and how much your parents made.
I agree with some but not all of what you said my friend.

I agree that a top notch public education is one of the cornerstones of a successful society and is one of the building blocks of opportunity. But throwing money alone at public education is not the answer. Here in NYC, we spend an absolute king's ransom per public and we'e sharply increased teacher salaries and yet the school system's quality of education still sucks. I think we should pay teachers very well but hold them accountable -- just like private business holds its employees accountable. A lifetime guaranteed job which you can't lose short of boning a student is not a recipe for success.

I also agree that Headstart is an important program that should be fully funded. And farm subsidies that largely go not to small farmers but to some of the biggest agribusiness companies in the world (where our farm subsidies largely go) is shameful and a waste of money.

But I still believe that anyone who is sufficiently smart and motivated can make it in this country. Sure connections and family money helps but there are plenty of super successful people out there who had neither. In my experience, the number 1 thing that divides those who succeed from those that don't is drive (hunger, motivation). And is you are sufficiently driven and hungry, you can succeed in this country even with no family money and no family connections.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by sdg1871
I agree with some but not all of what you said my friend.

I agree that a top notch public education is one of the cornerstones of a successful society and is one of the building blocks of opportunity. But throwing money alone at public education is not the answer. Here in NYC, we spend an absolute king's ransom per public and we'e sharply increased teacher salaries and yet the school system's quality of education still sucks. I think we should pay teachers very well but hold them accountable -- just like private business holds its employees accountable. A lifetime guaranteed job which you can't lose short of boning a student is not a recipe for success.

I also agree that Headstart is an important program that should be fully funded. And farm subsidies that largely go not to small farmers but to some of the biggest agribusiness companies in the world (where our farm subsidies largely go) is shameful and a waste of money.

But I still believe that anyone who is sufficiently smart and motivated can make it in this country. Sure connections and family money helps but there are plenty of super successful people out there who had neither. In my experience, the number 1 thing that divides those who succeed from those that don't is drive (hunger, motivation). And is you are sufficiently driven and hungry, you can succeed in this country even with no family money and no family connections.

Completely agree. Teachers should be held accountable, and paid like any other successful person in any other industry,and yes, their jobs should be far from guaranteed. The only way to attract the "best and brightest" to educate our children is to compensate them for their efforts.
Hunger and motivation DO count for a lot (none of us would be on this forum if we didn't have a good helping of both). Unfortunately the way the politics in Washington are going the playing field is being skewed more and more each day.

Also, as I said before, the main focus of these protests should be the unbelievable lack of responsibility that the bankers have taken for the economic collapse that cost the country 20% of it's net worth. Yet no one has been indicted, hell, no one has even had a "good talking to".
Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The problem is not a lack of spending on education, it is how the money is spent. That is no different than any other government spending, how efficient is it? At the end of the day, the government is not an efficient allocator of capital. In some areas like defense, it may be necessary. But overall, many voters are disillusioned about government's ability to efficiently spend tax dollars. To the point, spending on education has consistently risen and if you look at the official US gov't stats, we are not underfunding education. It is hard to argue that spending on education is consistently lacking when you look at spending relative to other developed countries...

http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/fe...ite-chart.html
Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by kscarrol
The problem is not a lack of spending on education, it is how the money is spent. That is no different than any other government spending, how efficient is it? At the end of the day, the government is not an efficient allocator of capital. In some areas like defense, it may be necessary. But overall, many voters are disillusioned about government's ability to efficiently spend tax dollars. To the point, spending on education has consistently risen and if you look at the official US gov't stats, we are not underfunding education. It is hard to argue that spending on education is consistently lacking when you look at spending relative to other developed countries...

http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/fe...ite-chart.html
I agree that by and large, the US is not underfunding public education. And yet the results of very poor. That is why I believe that we need to treat our teachers as if they worked for private industry. Compensate them well but hold them accountable. Lifetime tenure is the opposite of accountability. My how I would love lifetime tenure at my law firm or with my cliets. But I usre don't think that would make me a better, harder working lawyer. To the opposit, it would inevitably make me more complacent.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Contributors

Agreed, simply wanted to show that despite pj's comment ("Look at the constant lack of funding for public education"), the country does not underfund education, particularly as compared to other european and asian countries that have far superior public education systems.

And don't get me wrong, I think teachers deserve better pay but something is broken in the system. You have highlighted a number of those issues including seniority and tenure...
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Before the level of funding impacts educational results one must first examine the devastating impact of the breakdown of the family. It correlates directly and postively with the downward trend in educational results.

When children are having children; when grandparentrs are raising children because there is no father identified and the mother does not mother; when a teacher cannot discipiline a child for interfering with the educational process; when we ask our teachers to do more parenting duties every year vs. teaching...we have a formula for disaster.

After discussing the impact of the above on educational results ...then lets discuss how funding, or lack thereof, impacts the problem.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Contributors

^^ Totally agree!!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by juris335
Before the level of funding impacts educational results one must first examine the devastating impact of the breakdown of the family. It correlates directly and postively with the downward trend in educational results.

When children are having children; when grandparentrs are raising children because there is no father identified and the mother does not mother; when a teacher cannot discipiline a child for interfering with the educational process; when we ask our teachers to do more parenting duties every year vs. teaching...we have a formula for disaster.

After discussing the impact of the above on educational results ...then lets discuss how funding, or lack thereof, impacts the problem.

+10000 You hit the nail right on the head!!! Parents today are asking more and more for teachers and TV to raise their kids for them. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Back to the point of this thread: CLICKY!!!!

"But if anything, the organizers of the Occupy movement should be heartened by the latest outpouring of sympathy from establishment figures. The protesters, who can still be counted by the hundreds in most gatherings, have already shifted the national conversation. We are no longer talking about government spending and deficits. The focus is on income inequality and unpunished culpability of corporate elite for the last decade of dysfunction.

Much like the Tea Party movement, this is a testament to the American political system, which has done little to help its reputation in recent months. It is still possible for a few people, peacefully demonstrating, to get the attention of the entire country, to have their views heard and debated. Say what you will about the media elites or the entrenched powers in Washington, but they will still respond when people assemble in the streets."

BTW, economists agree the tax cuts (really tax spending) never did anything to help the economy. In fact, it just made things worse. CLICKY!!!!