Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Veyron

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm not much of a re-poster, but I have to share this with you guys. I was on my "royal throne" reading through various auto-related mumbo-jumbo when I came across this autoblog.com article on Veyron Grand Sport. I'm sure most of you read it, but click on the pic below if you haven't - IMHO a MUST-READ piece of automotive reporting.

Click on the below image for the Autoblog.com post:
Veyron-bugatti_veyron_grand_sport_car_wallpapers.jpg

another pic for a good measure:
Veyron-2009_bugatti_veyron_grand_sport_top_view_588x793.jpg

so...
anyone have two and a half mil I can borrow?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Watch this video of a veyron vs a 15 year old Mclaren F1. The way I look at it, in the ral world the Mclaren F1 has more acceleration to say 150mph. For all purposes of the clip, I suspect they went past the 1 mile mark and allowed the bugatti to pass. Imagine if the mclaren F1 were to beat the veyron. What would all those owners who have forked millions to own that car say?

Also the mclaren F1 has better power to weight ratio than the overweight veyron. That should suggest better acceleration.. well in theory anyways.

Come to think of it, does anyone know of the mclaren was the basic one or the F1 LM which would have been even better? I can't tell from the body.

cheers
Old 07-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='935989' date='Jul 8 2009, 04:38 AM
Watch this video of a veyron vs a 15 year old Mclaren F1. The way I look at it, in the ral world the Mclaren F1 has more acceleration to say 150mph. For all purposes of the clip, I suspect they went past the 1 mile mark and allowed the bugatti to pass. Imagine if the mclaren F1 were to beat the veyron. What would all those owners who have forked millions to own that car say?

clip..

Also the mclaren F1 has better power to weight ratio than the overweight veyron. That should suggest better acceleration.. well in theory anyways.

Come to think of it, does anyone know of the mclaren was the basic one or the F1 LM which would have been even better? I can't tell from the body.

cheers
Unfortunately, I'm at the office and can't watch the vid - will do when I get home though.

But something tells me that anyone who can afford a Veyron can also afford the F1, so they don't have to choose between the two
Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='935996' date='Jul 8 2009, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately, I'm at the office and can't watch the vid - will do when I get home though.

But something tells me that anyone who can afford a Veyron can also afford the F1, so they don't have to choose between the two
true. Having watched the Top Gear head to head, I was just questioning the outcome. I am sure the power to weight ratio of a car is related to the accceleration. Could not understand why the Mclaren lost out towards the end. Perhaps they were hitting speeds in excess of 240mph which would then hand the advantage over to the veyron.

Me personally, even if I had all the money, the one car I would love to have in the garage would be the Mclaren F1 and not the bugatti. One is like an italian suit while the other is just a plain down to earth racing suit.

Do watch the clip when you have time. Worth it.

cheers
Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='935989' date='Jul 8 2009, 01:38 AM

clip..

cheers
The McLaren was built at a time when manufacturers didn't have to comply with anything like the regulatory requirements impacting a modern car.

It's also very easy to overlook the enormous engineering challenges that come from pushing top speed up from the F1's 240 to the Veyron's 253. It is not simply a matter of a hew extra horsepower, at that level every extra MPH takes a hugely disproportionate amount of additional power and engineering.

While the F1 was indeed a groundbreaker, McLaren had it easier than Bugatti. And per your clip, the McLaren probably did not just let the Bugatti pass...
Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Brent one of our forum members owns one.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Watched the clip. Aside from the Rod Steward-looking bastard, its a pretty straightforward situation. Swajames hit bull's eye with him explanation. The only thing I'd add is that the power to speed proportions apply on land. If we were talking about cars that do not have to deal with rolling resistance, chances are Bugatti would not have fallen behind at all... oh, and another thing - McLaren has a stick shift
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My dream lives on................. /sigh
Old 07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='936059' date='Jul 8 2009, 02:17 PM
The McLaren was built at a time when manufacturers didn't have to comply with anything like the regulatory requirements impacting a modern car.

It's also very easy to overlook the enormous engineering challenges that come from pushing top speed up from the F1's 240 to the Veyron's 253. It is not simply a matter of a hew extra horsepower, at that level every extra MPH takes a hugely disproportionate amount of additional power and engineering.

While the F1 was indeed a groundbreaker, McLaren had it easier than Bugatti. And per your clip, the McLaren probably did not just let the Bugatti pass...
Thanks. I guess thats the case. Point taken.

I would still have the Mclaren over the veyron though. Perhaps its just me that gravitates towards BMW Mpower engines and the fact they went to such details as using gold leaf for the engine bay.

cheers
Old 07-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='936570' date='Jul 8 2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks. I guess thats the case. Point taken.

I would still have the Mclaren over the veyron though. Perhaps its just me that gravitates towards BMW Mpower engines and the fact they went to such details as using gold leaf for the engine bay.

cheers
Dude, you don't get it! If you can afford one, you can DEFINITELY afford the other - you cannot fake a McLaren or a Bugatti. So, whether you can or cannot afford them, you will never have to choose - except for maybe those extra nice days when you are gonna have to flip a coin to see which one you're taking to get a new watch down by Riviera... personally, I'd run the Veyron for daily duty and McLaren for going out though - ya know, cuz you can fit twice as many chicks in it

Quick Reply: Veyron