Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Vail Ski Runs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1024728' date='Oct 5 2009, 12:30 AM
Since Kirkwood is off the beaten path and sits in a valley where clouds tend to sit along the mountain tops and not move, other than dumping a plethora of snow during the winter, you have to be committed to going there. That said, it mainly attracts people that are willing to make the trek (advanced to expert skiiers/boarders) or folks that have a house in the area. Since it's not a resort like town, like some of the North Shore properties or Heavenly on the South, it still stays fairly quiet. However, regardless of skiing ability, it's still known by all to be one of the best mountains in all of Tahoe and even the country. This is mainly due to the amount of snow fall it gets each year and where it resides in the Sierra's. It's just like Utah. In the Valley where Snowbird and Alta sit, the clouds can dump 2-3x the amount of snow compared to the valley next door, which is home to Park City, Deer Valley and The Canyons. It's just one of those rare, strange weather phenomenons. During El Nino, Kirkwood has received top spot for snow accumulation; beating out such mountains as Wolf Creek in Colorado or Alta/Snowbird/Solitude. It's nuts. It is definitely one of my favorites, but the best snow in the country goes to Snowbird/Alta (or Utah for that matter); hence the reason they call it "Champagne Powder". The snow has the least amount of moisture content in it, of any place in the country. Favorite mountain in the US, not including Canada, is Jacksole Hole, followed by Alta and then Snowbird (I'm a skiier, so Alta is preferred over the Bird (no boarders allowed at Alta ). The only mountain I have yet to ski is Big Sky, Montana. Outside of that, I've skiied just about every state (New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, California...The east coast doesn't count, since they make their own snow ).

There are two places I want to ski before I die...South America (Chile) and New Zealand. Anyone ever skiied at either?
+1 on pretty much everything you said about Kirkwood. I haven't been back there in years but used to go there a bunch back when I had more time to go on extended ski vacations, etc. The main reason I asked about the crowds is that over a decade ago -- the last time I was there -- they were doing a lot of building. I remember seeing a bunch of plans for new homes, townhouses, condos, etc. so I was wondering if, by now, they've developed it to the point where it's now busier or more crowded. I hope it remains more of an "overflow" type of place for the south and north shore resorts for now and for the distant future!

I never made it to Utah but I did get a chance to spend amazing powder time at Grand Targhee, Wyoming which, in case you haven't heard of it, is to Jackson Hole as Kirkwood is to Heavenly or Squaw Valley.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1024736' date='Oct 5 2009, 12:38 AM
Right on C, u been to mt baker in wa, or whisler in canada? and Jackson hole is ridiculous!! I agree w u on the big sky trip that one is on my list for sure, my good bro is in new zeland right now and I can't wait to hear about it! Everything I've heard and read about chile is sweet, I can't remember the name of the resort right now but they have week long all inclusive package that's badass, and the weeks are themed.. Family week, singles week, Chilean wine week... It's sick!!
Chalk up one more in the US...I have not been to Mt. Baker. Forgot about that. Yes, I've been to Blackcomb/Whistler. I actually did one of my backcountry ski trips up there one year.

What about Chilean women?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1024743' date='Oct 5 2009, 12:51 AM
I did get a chance to spend amazing powder time at Grand Targhee, Wyoming which, in case you haven't heard of it, is to Jackson Hole as Kirkwood is to Heavenly or Squaw Valley.
I did a day of Snowcat Skiing at Grand Targhee. I've been to Jackson four times in my life. We used to drive up there a lot, when I was in Boulder. First time was with the CU Ski club and when I fell in love. We actually used to drive all over the West when I was in college, which is how I was able to ski such mountain's as Taos New Mexico, Sun Valley Idaho and all the others in Utah and Colorado. It was probably the biggest perk of going to school there. Pack up the beat up Cherokee with 4 dudes and hit the road for a week of skiing to new destinations.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1024753' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:00 AM
I did a day of Snowcat Skiing at Grand Targhee. I've been to Jackson four times in my life. We used to drive up there a lot, when I was in Boulder. First time was with the CU Ski club and when I fell in love. We actually used to drive all over the West when I was in college, which is how I was able to ski such mountain's as Taos New Mexico, Sun Valley Idaho and all the others in Utah and Colorado. It was probably the biggest perk of going to school there. Pack up the beat up Cherokee with 4 dudes and hit the road for a week of skiing to new destinations.

How'd you enjoy your cat day at Targhee? That place gets a ton of snow!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1024743' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:51 PM
+1 on pretty much everything you said about Kirkwood. I haven't been back there in years but used to go there a bunch back when I had more time to go on extended ski vacations, etc. The main reason I asked about the crowds is that over a decade ago -- the last time I was there -- they were doing a lot of building. I remember seeing a bunch of plans for new homes, townhouses, condos, etc. so I was wondering if, by now, they've developed it to the point where it's now busier or more crowded. I hope it remains more of an "overflow" type of place for the south and north shore resorts for now and for the distant future!

I never made it to Utah but I did get a chance to spend amazing powder time at Grand Targhee, Wyoming which, in case you haven't heard of it, is to Jackson Hole as Kirkwood is to Heavenly or Squaw Valley.
Oh yeah the condos up there are awesome! There's a bunch of em
Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1024745' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:57 PM
Chalk up one more in the US...I have not been to Mt. Baker. Forgot about that. Yes, I've been to Blackcomb/Whistler. I actually did one of my backcountry ski trips up there one year.

What about Chilean women?
Ay mami!!!