Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Useless Info on Condoms

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coloured, flavoured and textured condoms of today are a pretty modern invention, but did you know that condoms themselves have been used by amorous lovers for over 3000 years?

Condom history guru?s aren?t 100% sure where the term ?condom? came from, but they do have a couple of theories. One is that it is named after a "Dr. Condom", who supplied King Charles II of England with animal-tissue sheaths to keep him from fathering illegitimate children and getting diseases from prostitutes. Others claim the word comes from a "Dr. Condon" or a "Colonel Cundum.

The other (and more likely) origin of the term comes from the Latin word ?condos?, which means receptacle.

Wherever the term came from, it is one of the most highly recognised words in the English language today.

1350 ? 1220 BC:
Egyptian tribesmen used condoms to protect themselves against infection, injury and insect bites.

100 ? 200 AD:
Scenes in cave paintings found in the South of France indicate the use of condoms by Europeans as early as 100AD.

1500?s:
Italian anatomist Gabrielle Fallopius invented a condom made of linen and conducted syphilis trials among 1,100 men. None of the participants using the condoms became infected with the disease.

Later in the 1500s, one of the first improvements to the condom was made. The linen cloth sheaths were sometimes soaked in a chemical solution and then allowed to dry prior to use. These were the first spermicides on condoms.

1700?s:
Historical documents suggest that condoms made from animal guts (yuck!) were in use as a contraceptive during the 1700?s. However they were quite expensive and as a result were often reused! At the time, the condoms were promoted as "an armour against pleasure, and a cobweb against infection".

In 1758, the infamous French lover Casanova is said to have used condoms to prevent his girlfriends from getting pregnant.

1800?s:
The Japanese have two different types of condom to choose from ? one is the Kawagata or Kyotai condom, which was made of thin leather; and the other was the Kabutogata condom, which was made of tortoiseshell or horn. Hmmm, do you think that was painful?

1843:
The condom industry got a real boost with the discovery of the revolutionary process of ?rubber vulcanisation? (nothing to do with Star Trek?s Dr Spock). This enabled condom-makers to mass produce condoms that were more reliable and less expensive than earlier versions. Prior to this discovery, condoms were made of crepe rubber and sulphur.

1861:
The first ad for condoms was published in The New York Times. It was for "Dr. Power's French Preventatives."

1873:
The Comstock Law (named after one Anthony Comstock) made the advertising of any sort of birth control illegal. It also allowed the postal service to confiscate condoms sold through the mail.

1930?s:
Liquid latex replaced crepe rubber as the ?material of choice? for condom manufacture. By 1935, 1.5 million condoms were being produced each day in the US.

1980?s:
The post-war baby boom of the 1960?s and ?free love? in the ?70?s did big things for the world?s population, so its not overly surprising that condoms became more widely available in the 1980?s. Condoms appeared on the shelves of pubs, supermarkets, service stations and even the local dairy, as people moved to protect themselves from HIV/AIDS and unplanned pregnancy.

In 1987 a Japanese brand called Kimono went on sale in America. The condom was thinner and more lubricated, and ads for the product talked about pleasure as well as protection.

1990?s:
A large number of different types of condom came on to the market, including condoms with different colours, flavours and textures.

By 1993 the annual production of natural latex condoms had reached 8.5 billion.

2001:
Durex launched a polyurethane condom - Durex Avanti - so the small percentage of girls and guys that are allergic to latex, no longer had the excuse not to use condoms.

2003:
An estimated 6-9 billion condoms are used worldwide each year.

Come on girls, let?s do our bit to bump this number up!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about opening a "condos" manufacturing facility and hopefully it'll buy me an M5
Oh, forgot, I need to recruit a bunch of female employee who volunteer to let me to test out my product.