Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Unfair comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Yesterday I test drove a friend's SL65AMG. I had more than a little trepidation in doing this because this car has a biturbo v12 with over 600 HP and over 700lb/ft of torque. I didn't want to all of a sudden feel deprived driving my 550. Anyway, the car does have power! I eventually got it on the freeway, and though I had some difficulty getting great traction on wet pavement, I got the point!

Good news for me is that I really didn't like the car all that much. It felt heavy to me, and less nimble than the car I am driving now. I know I would prefer the M5 or M6 or the upcoming M3 for little more than half the price.

Unfair comparison?-img_1573_1.jpg
Old 01-14-2006, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a dream last night about driving an M3 and then a yellow open top 911.

it was a pretty cool night for dreams.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

nice car must be awesome to drive on dry tarmac, but the rear window looks odd and ugly with that huge black strip! What is the purpose of this?
btw how's the sound of it ?
Old 01-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I really like the SL. I think it's the nicest merc right now. How did the engine sound?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Engine sound was somewhat subdued. I was discussing engine sound at my dealership yesterday, and both the sales manger and sales advisor felt that the 550 has a better engine sound than the M5. They felt the M5 engine had a tinny pitch to it. I asked if it was as bad as my e46 M3 was, and they said worse.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

still the same story..... maybe OK and very powerfull engine but the car does not know how to handle this power typical MB. another annoing "show-off only good for" car not an ultimate driving machine like the M5

(talking in general, no offense Darkside). I'm glad you have the right feeling here - the MB feels havy and lazy in handling.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by mr_djurgarden' post='224094' date='Jan 14 2006, 08:58 AM
I really like the SL. I think it's the nicest merc right now. How did the engine sound?
Me too.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by darkside' post='224095' date='Jan 14 2006, 08:05 AM
Engine sound was somewhat subdued. I was discussing engine sound at my dealership yesterday, and both the sales manger and sales advisor felt that the 550 has a better engine sound than the M5. They felt the M5 engine had a tinny pitch to it. I asked if it was as bad as my e46 M3 was, and they said worse.
V10s rarely sound as good as V8s. If you ever heard the early Vipers you know what I am talking about.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='224093' date='Jan 14 2006, 05:56 AM
nice car must be awesome to drive on dry tarmac, but the rear window looks odd and ugly with that huge black strip! What is the purpose of this?
btw how's the sound of it ?
I test drove an SL500 and was not so impressed... the torque on that (lesser) model was insufficient esp. in lower gears... taking off from a stop was ho-hum. I really do like the styling of the car, though... inside and out. The leather stitching and woodwork on the inside is refined, and they spent a lot of time building in neat little storage compartments throughout.

This particular photo doesn't capture the car from its best angles. The black strips beside the rear window and top (which look better from the side/front) I believe are design elements to compliment the retractable hard-top's sunroof. It was one of the most compelling features for me, actually. You see a similar treatment on E-class cars with a panorama sunroof.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Why we should compare Danish Dog to Greyhound? You know which is which?
'
Skaffa

Quick Reply: Unfair comparison?