Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Traffic attorney in Rockland Co., NY

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

If you can take traffic school go for it... HOWEVER, if you have the time, i recommend you fight it.

See, I got two tickets last year (within a month) for speeding, both times , and i had enough time on my hands to fight both tickets. The first one, I went to court and paid the fine to the clerk, never saw the judge, and i told the clerk I'd like to fight the ticket; she gave me a court date... I went to court on that date (about 2 months later) and the cop didn't show so my case was immediately dismissed: no points, no fine, nada. For my second ticket, I actually went to an arraignment, plead "not guilty" and got my court date. I went to court 2 months later (about 8 months after the date of the ticket) and this time the cop showed up (serves me right!) and all I did was go to the bailiff before the proceedings and told him I wanted to change my plea to "no contest." Judge accepted my plea, so did the officer, and even did me a favor and reduced the fine like 30% Now I'm going to take traffic school and that should be the end of it

Point here is if you have the time, plea not guilty (if it's a regular ticket) and maybe you'll get lucky like me and your cop might not show...

BTW, the case that got dismissed, court started at 8:30 am, the second case, court started at 1 pm, so the time will matter. Also try to get as many extensions as possible as this will increase your chances of winning. If you live in NJ, go to the court on the ticket and see if you can get your appearance transferred to NJ as this will DEFINITELY increase the chances that your cop WILL NOT SHOW.

Either way, GL... and if you don't mind paying a few hundreds to get the case dismissed, you should keep searching for a traffic lawyer as they will come handy in the future.

My $0.02
Old 01-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi, Premium, Adaptive Xenon, Cold Weather

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Hey, brother! Sorry to hear about your trouble. Apologies, but I don't know enough to give you any "wisdom" on this subject, I just wish you a fast and painless resolution to this thing

Hang in there!

PS I will say this: I have seen instances where people had all points "reduced" to 0 in court, so definitely lawyer up and definitely go to court to get the best results.

Thanks, my man!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by danzanchy
If you can take traffic school go for it... HOWEVER, if you have the time, i recommend you fight it.

See, I got two tickets last year (within a month) for speeding, both times , and i had enough time on my hands to fight both tickets. The first one, I went to court and paid the fine to the clerk, never saw the judge, and i told the clerk I'd like to fight the ticket; she gave me a court date... I went to court on that date (about 2 months later) and the cop didn't show so my case was immediately dismissed: no points, no fine, nada. For my second ticket, I actually went to an arraignment, plead "not guilty" and got my court date. I went to court 2 months later (about 8 months after the date of the ticket) and this time the cop showed up (serves me right!) and all I did was go to the bailiff before the proceedings and told him I wanted to change my plea to "no contest." Judge accepted my plea, so did the officer, and even did me a favor and reduced the fine like 30% Now I'm going to take traffic school and that should be the end of it

Point here is if you have the time, plea not guilty (if it's a regular ticket) and maybe you'll get lucky like me and your cop might not show...

BTW, the case that got dismissed, court started at 8:30 am, the second case, court started at 1 pm, so the time will matter. Also try to get as many extensions as possible as this will increase your chances of winning. If you live in NJ, go to the court on the ticket and see if you can get your appearance transferred to NJ as this will DEFINITELY increase the chances that your cop WILL NOT SHOW.

Either way, GL... and if you don't mind paying a few hundreds to get the case dismissed, you should keep searching for a traffic lawyer as they will come handy in the future.

My $0.02

Thanks a millioin, danzanchy! Your $0.02 are definitely worth a lot of $ to me. I will follow your advice and I'm about to send my response to the ticket in a few minutes.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

$.02 more cents.

It is very unlikely a 6 point ticket will get reduced to a 0 point ticket. It is more likely that they will agree to reduce the MPH to a 2 point ticket or pick some other less serious moving violation. This is probably what the cop had in mind when he told you to plead not guilty and come in. Some smaller towns even let you do the whole thing by phone (I had this happen with a town near the Canadian border).

I agree with the advice of seeking as many extensions as you can. One more trick is to try to get your hearing date on a day of the week different from the original date. Cops will schedule all of their trials for the same day, so they only have to go to court once a month. They typically schedule for the same day of the week every month, say the second Tuesday. If the court permits, pick a different day of the week. If you are the only one the cop has scheduled for that day, he is less likely to show.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by robg
$.02 more cents.

It is very unlikely a 6 point ticket will get reduced to a 0 point ticket. It is more likely that they will agree to reduce the MPH to a 2 point ticket or pick some other less serious moving violation. This is probably what the cop had in mind when he told you to plead not guilty and come in. Some smaller towns even let you do the whole thing by phone (I had this happen with a town near the Canadian border).

I agree with the advice of seeking as many extensions as you can. One more trick is to try to get your hearing date on a day of the week different from the original date. Cops will schedule all of their trials for the same day, so they only have to go to court once a month. They typically schedule for the same day of the week every month, say the second Tuesday. If the court permits, pick a different day of the week. If you are the only one the cop has scheduled for that day, he is less likely to show.

Awesome advice, thank you! I am currently trying to get in touch with local attorneys in the town where my court hearing will be.
Once they give me the court date, I'll see if they'd take any requests for rescheduling.

Thanks again!