Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Traffic attorney in Rockland Co., NY

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525xi, Premium, Adaptive Xenon, Cold Weather

So, the title says it all - I'm looking for a good traffic attorney in Rockland County, NY. Got a speeding ticket yesterday and intend to plead not guilty and appear for a hearing.
Now, before you jump all over the topic and disperse pearls of wisdom telling me how dangerous, irresponsible, etc. etc. my actions were, please know that I do realize that driving fast MAY be endangering people lives - that is, when such people are present. That was NOT the case with me; nobody else was in the car, no cars for miles ahead, except for a nice shiny state trooper's car playfully hiding behind a bridge.

Further, I am very familiar with the area, just like many of you are from our Bear Mountain meet. There has never been a cop in this place... but this time there was and he nailed me. While I do agree I was going above the speed limit (65 mph), I am very sure I was not going at the speed that I was cited for. (After all, my car is a slow 525 )

In addition, if you like to share any thoughts or advice, please tell me what you think about the following:
The ticket, as mentioned, was issued in NY, while my DL is from NJ. This means that any moving violation out of state will cost me 2 points in NJ, no matter how many points it is in the other state.
The question is, if I plead not guilty and fight the ticket in court, do you think that a potential 6pt. ticket can be brought down to no points at all? If not, it would make no sense to hire a lawyer, take a day off, pay additional court fees, etc. - it would still be 2pts.

Any thoughts, experiences and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

can you take traffic school so points don't appear on your record or is that only a CA thing?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
can you take traffic school so points don't appear on your record or is that only a CA thing?

Thanks for your response. I can take a defensive driving course in NJ and have the 2 pts. subtracted. However, I am concerned about my insurance going up - with or without points they will probably jack up my premiums once they learn about the ticket.
But you're right, taking the course is definitely an option. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Former Vendor

In CA, your insurance company won't even know about the ticket if you take driver ed. You sure that's not how it is in NJ?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Members

In CA, your insurance company won't even know about the ticket if you take driver ed. You sure that's not how it is in NJ?

Not really sure how that works... Am I supposed to plead not guilty, go to court in NY and show them the certificate (meaning I'll complete the course before the court date.) Or if I complete the course after I've pleaded guilty, what do I do with the certificate? Take it to DMV or where?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Did you respect the police officer?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor

In CA, I go online and just pay the fine and select the traffic school option. It'll give me a list of acceptable online courses, I take the class, mail the certificate to the courthouse, and I'm done.

Insurance company never finds out.

Originally Posted by amanuel777
Not really sure how that works... Am I supposed to plead not guilty, go to court in NY and show them the certificate (meaning I'll complete the course before the court date.) Or if I complete the course after I've pleaded guilty, what do I do with the certificate? Take it to DMV or where?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CWS530
Did you respect the police officer?

Absolutely, there was no animosity at all on either side. At the end he actually advised me to plead "not guilty" and go for a hearing. Told me it will very likely be to my advantage and may get the points reduced.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Members

In CA, I go online and just pay the fine and select the traffic school option. It'll give me a list of acceptable online courses, I take the class, mail the certificate to the courthouse, and I'm done.

Insurance company never finds out.

Thanks again. Does any NY member know if it's the same with the state's dmv too?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Hey, brother! Sorry to hear about your trouble. Apologies, but I don't know enough to give you any "wisdom" on this subject, I just wish you a fast and painless resolution to this thing

Hang in there!

PS I will say this: I have seen instances where people had all points "reduced" to 0 in court, so definitely lawyer up and definitely go to court to get the best results.

Quick Reply: Traffic attorney in Rockland Co., NY