Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Toyota is getting ruined by the media!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Runawa...ry?id=10046912
Play the video on right bottom left. Go to 3:07 thats not a Toyota out of control thats a BMW revving.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=10046912
Play the video on right bottom left. Go to 3:07 thats not a Toyota out of control thats a BMW revving.
Probable translation - guy in a Prius is caught speeding, thinks quickly, and tries to pass the speeding off as a stuck pedal incident...

The video you refer to is most probably the dismantling of the appallingly poor ABC story, also by Brian Ross, where that "expert" claimed he could trigger unintended acceleration without the car throwing an error code.

See the link below for what seems to be the real story behind how he did it (and yes, he may as well have just placed a brick on the pedal) and also the same thing being done to a Ford, MB, Honda, Chevy and a BMW...

http://jalopnik.com/5488464/the-mech...eleration-hoax
Old 03-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

If a manufacture makes a car that kills it's owner....then I really don't see how it's bad that the company is getting "ruined" by the media..IMHO
Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by Krozi
If a manufacture makes a car that kills it's owner....then I really don't see how it's bad that the company is getting "ruined" by the media..IMHO
Except that the evidence presented thus far can largely lead the reasonable person to only one inescapable conclusion: Toyota isn't building cars that are killing their owners. The witch hunt and the related media circus is, most probably, almost entirely bogus and is little more than a masterclass in the stupidity and gullibility of more people than I ever imagined to be reasonably possible. Anyone who saw any of the Congressional testimony, actually understood the agendas, financial ties and incentives provided to certain key witnesses, had read Ed Wallace's excellent article in Business Week, understood how David Gilbert seemingly achieved his supposed results replicating the unintended acceleration incidents (which were reported with a devastating lack of journalistic integrity by ABC), and still thinks that there's any basis to these reports, is a complete and utter moron. All IMHO of course.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by swajames
Except that the evidence presented thus far can largely lead the reasonable person to only one inescapable conclusion: Toyota isn't building cars that are killing their owners. The witch hunt and the related media circus is, most probably, almost entirely bogus and is little more than a masterclass in the stupidity and gullibility of more people than I ever imagined to be reasonably possible. Anyone who saw any of the Congressional testimony, actually understood the agendas, financial ties and incentives provided to certain key witnesses, had read Ed Wallace's excellent article in Business Week, understood how David Gilbert seemingly achieved his supposed results replicating the unintended acceleration incidents (which were reported with a devastating lack of journalistic integrity by ABC), and still thinks that there's any basis to these reports, is a complete and utter moron. All IMHO of course.
I am not quite sure I follow...are you saying that the gas pedal sticking is all made up?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Contributors

I am not quite sure I follow...are you saying that the gas pedal sticking is all made up?
Essentially. I am saying that many if not most of these incidents will ultimately be found to be attributable to driver error, that many of the reports we are seeing (from both individuals and from otherwise reputable new organizations) will ultimately be found to be embellished or bogus, and that the number of actual issues that are, after proper and thorough investigation found to be properly attributable to manufacturing or design issues, will be few and far between and statistically insignificant. I don't own or drive a Toyota, I have no dog in the fight so to speak, but it's readily apparent to those who care to look that all is not as it seems here.

I am not saying there aren't issues, and any that may have resulted in a consequential injury or loss of life is both tragic and regrettable, but this is being blown out of all reasonable proportion. Ed Wallace's article in Business Week, posted here by me last week, captures some of the reasons why.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

I may have missed it, but I was of the understanding that 2008 Prius WAS NOT on the list for acceleration issues.
(The recent in San Diego was a 2008 Prius).
Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

Essentially. I am saying that many if not most of these incidents will ultimately be found to be attributable to driver error, that many of the reports we are seeing (from both individuals and from otherwise reputable new organizations) will ultimately be found to be embellished or bogus, and that the number of actual issues that are, after proper and thorough investigation found to be properly attributable to manufacturing or design issues, will be few and far between and statistically insignificant. I don't own or drive a Toyota, I have no dog in the fight so to speak, but it's readily apparent to those who care to look that all is not as it seems here.

I am not saying there aren't issues, and any that may have resulted in a consequential injury or loss of life is both tragic and regrettable, but this is being blown out of all reasonable proportion. Ed Wallace's article in Business Week, posted here by me last week, captures some of the reasons why.
I agree. It seems like more and more people will try to play off driver error (stupidity) as mechanical/electrical error. I never, before this media hype, had even heard of any of these issues. The media loves to blow things out of proportion for the sake of some ratings; they're making Toyota seem like Skynet.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Contributors

While I agree that many Toyota drivers will "think" their gas pedal is sticking out of fear that it will...there is OBVIOUSLY a problem with the gas pedals.
Maybe it is blown out of proportion, but still it has cost 5 people their lives.

Why must you always disagree with everything James!?!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

While I agree that many Toyota drivers will "think" their gas pedal is sticking out of fear that it will...there is OBVIOUSLY a problem with the gas pedals.
Maybe it is blown out of proportion, but still it has cost 5 people their lives.

Why must you always disagree with everything James!?!

He has a point - what you are seeing now with Toyota is very similar to what Audi went through back in the 80's. However, I still find it hard to believe that so many people could die from being the same kind of stupid.

Quick Reply: Toyota is getting ruined by the media!