Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Top Gear track - Hamilton lap

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

http://jalopnik.com/cars/top-gear/video-of...p?autoplay=true

Edit : or

Now the question : who is The Stig ?

Cheers!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

That, our little Diesel Hating Friend, is a mighty (!) Chevrolet Lacetti.

1.8 litres and 119 horses of pure motor driving pleasure!

You'll be pleased to hear Alex, that they brought out a Diesel version too ( Clickety Click ) Might have the stats to finally beat your car. Only just though

Marc
Old 12-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d Msport, Silver Grey, Amethyst Dakota Leather, 19" Mixed alloys, Media Pack, Visibility pack, Electric Memory seats, Heated Seats, Folding mirrors. 2007 320d Msport Touring, Sparkling Graphite, Lemon Dakota Leather, Comfort Access, Heated Seats. Westfield Megablade, Honda Fireblade 919cc engine, 135 BHP, 416 Kgs, FAST!!

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='502419' date='Dec 4 2007, 08:53 AM
Now the question : who is The Stig ?
Ben Collins. Google him.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by megablade' post='502432' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:00 PM
Ben Collins. Google him.

http://www.collinsautosport.com/gallery.php
He looks so shy
Old 12-04-2007, 04:28 AM
Contributors

Actually, I'm the stig, just don't tell anyone, it's a secret...
Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by megablade' post='502432' date='Dec 4 2007, 11:00 AM
Ben Collins. Google him.
How did u work that one out?
I wonder does he remove his helmet at any stage when teaching the 'stars' to drive in the reasonably priced car.

Stig 1 I think was/is a smoother driver than Stig 2.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' post='502641' date='Dec 5 2007, 02:13 AM
How did u work that one out?
I wonder does he remove his helmet at any stage when teaching the 'stars' to drive in the reasonably priced car.

Stig 1 I think was/is a smoother driver than Stig 2.
Yes i also noticed that but i think Stig 2 is also faster than Stig 1. For instance Stig 1 got out of the E46 M3 in dry 1.31.8 which is the same time Stig 2 got out of the 535d, and i honestly think the M3 is considerably the faster car round any track.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

Here is some info on the "Stig" I pulled off Wikipedia.

"The Stig's true identity is never revealed on the show, and in order to maintain the secrecy, all shots show him wearing full racing overalls and matching helmet. All that can be seen from the gap between his helmet and jumpsuit is that he is a white male with dark hair. It is also known that he wears size 10 racing boots as discovered by the Sunday Times when the Driving section wrote an article about the show.

The identity of the first Stig was revealed to be Perry McCarthy when his book Flat Out, Flat Broke was published in 2003. McCarthy is a former Formula 1 driver and test driver for the Benetton, Arrows and Williams teams, and also tested for BMW F1.

The identity of the new Stig has not been officially revealed. In a Winter Olympics special episode of Top Gear, the Stig was shown doing a ski jump using a snowmobile. According to the Swedish tabloid newspaper Aftonbladet, the driver performing the ski jump stunt was Dan Lang, a Swedish snowmobile cross driver. In January 2006, a Daily Express article reported that Julian Bailey was secretly the Stig. In January 2007, Russ Swift, a stunt driver that has appeared on the show a number of times, said in an interview that the Stig is not played by just one person.

Mark Webber with an "I AM THE STIG" T-shirt presented to him by Jeremy.The show has alluded to The Stig with Formula 1 drivers that visit the show. In the episode of June 26, 2005, Damon Hill appeared as the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car". When asked directly by Clarkson if he was the Stig, Hill played on the fact that he may be The Stig but then denied it. Mark Webber was interviewed on July 31, 2005 and at the conclusion of his lap, Clarkson presented him with an "I AM THE STIG" T-shirt. Webber was then warned not to wear it around the F1 paddock, as "Michael doesn't always wear red".

When former F1 driver Nigel Mansell appeared on the show, Jeremy Clarkson noted that the Stig theorised that the Suzuki Liana (the show's "reasonably priced car" at the time) could achieve a 1:44 time on the track. Mansell proved the Stig's theory by lapping in a time of 1:44.6; The Stig subsequently posted a lap-time of 1:44.4 in the Liana. During the review of Jenson Button's lap, Clarkson commented that he, as did most of the other F1 drivers, took very different racing lines from the Stig's. Button commented that "...obviously, the Stig isn't a Formula One Driver then." to which Clarkson replied with "Might be"."

Also here some info on Ben Collins (Wikipedia):

"It is rumoured that Ben is lined up to compete in American Nascar racing in 2008 (his stated ambition) and is undergoing testing with a leading team in Nextel Cup.

It is rumoured that Ben is The Stig on BBC TV's Top Gear. The Health & Safety Executive report into Richard Hammond's Vampire dragster crash in September 2006 records that Collins "worked closely with Top Gear as a high performance driver and consultant"."
Old 12-05-2007, 12:39 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Did you see the self driving 330i in the end? That was the coolest thing in the whole show!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d Msport, Silver Grey, Amethyst Dakota Leather, 19" Mixed alloys, Media Pack, Visibility pack, Electric Memory seats, Heated Seats, Folding mirrors. 2007 320d Msport Touring, Sparkling Graphite, Lemon Dakota Leather, Comfort Access, Heated Seats. Westfield Megablade, Honda Fireblade 919cc engine, 135 BHP, 416 Kgs, FAST!!

Perry McCarthy his book "Flat Out, Flat Broke"

This is one of the best reads ever!! It is unbelievable the hardship he and others go through to get to F1. Well worth a read.

Quick Reply: Top Gear track - Hamilton lap