Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Tips on Pumping Gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you guys seen this? Seems logical...

Tricks to get your money?s worth TIPS ON PUMPING GAS?GOOD INFO I don?t know what you guys are paying for gasoline. Here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money?s worth for every gallon. Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening?.your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you?re filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you?re getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up?most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money. ?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

I remember quite a few years ago Penske Racing used a iner and outer gas filing tank with dry ice inbetween to make the gas very cold. After filing the car up the gas would expand and they would get more laps in there fore reducing the pit stops for fuel and having a better chance to win the race.It wasn't to long before the Racing Association stoped it.
cheers
vern
Old 11-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Thanks for the heads up!! Good info.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the chang' post='500962' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:00 AM

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.
Do you mean we should top off the tank when it is half? or not to?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Members

Great info. Thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='501118' date='Nov 30 2007, 06:40 PM
Do you mean we should top off the tank when it is half? or not to?
Yes! He means fill it up when it hits half full!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Thanks for the helpful information.

I have to challenge you on one point though, perhaps you can explain...

Aren't modern auto fuel systems pressurized to an extent? Once the cap is tightened properly, isn't evaporation largely nonexistent?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 530i Mtech

Thanks for the info
Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hahahah this? I've seen it before.. I personally I think the gains is negligible... if you step on your gas pedal once harder than necessary... you've lost all the hard effort you put in of extra gas in the morning and the inconvenience of going to the gas station every half tank.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

Quick Reply: Tips on Pumping Gas