Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Thoughts on Mideast Conflict

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Originally Posted by Iceman
I am no friend of Israel and their politics.
But:
They were attacked, and they have the right to defend themselves. I agree that it is very disturbing. But the innocent people were warned and the terrorists are hiding in between them. So, what should Israel do?

The whole situation seems to get out of control in the middle east.

It's very sad.
Ditto

What kind of human beings strap bombs to their children as suicide bombers? Seems when they kill their own children intentionally it it OK. But if Israel accidentally kills children it is a crime against humanity.
Exactly

"The fight against terrorism" to apply agendas/get rich has been one of the biggest conspiracies of our modern times.
Who's getting rich?

Second and to the issue, you have mentioned the kids with bombs, suicide etc. Are you aware of the cause/motivation behind these people who have no other means than throw stones to a military power?
There can never be any rationalization for encourageing children to become suicide bombers.

However independant evidence (including an assesment by the UN) is that a huge number of civillians have been killed, injured and displaced by the bombings.
Is this the same UN that was getting paid off by Saddam?

The saddest thing is that this whole sorry situation came close to peace - until the assasination of Rabin by right wing extremists and the death of Arafat.
Arafat, who stole literally hundreds of millions of dollars from "his" people?

Lets remember that Israel was being bombed daily from Lebonese territory and the Lebonon Gvt. wasen't doing anything about it. This in itself is an act of war.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Members

Does anyone remember the conflict between Lebanon and Israel in 2000? The Hezbollah seized 3 Israel Soldiers in a cross-border raid. The Israel soldiers died during the operation, but four years later, the Hezbollah were able to exchange their bodies for 430 Palestinians and Lebanese held in Israeli jails. Prisoner swap after four years (three dead Israelis for 430 live Palestinians and Hezbollah).

Maybe you see the response by Israel being lopsided. They remember the prisoner exchange in 2004. Their response is to avoid such lopsided exchanges in the future. I am not condoning the deaths of innocent people. In war the civilians are never the winners.

Any one heard of UN resolution 1559? This was adopted on September 2, 2004 (coming up on TWO YEARS ago) which, among other things, says the UN Security Council: Calls for the disbanding and disarmament of all Lebanese and non-Lebanese militias. The Secretary-General of the United Nations is Kofi Annan. Kofi Annan may well go down in history as the single most ineffective human being in the history of the Earth. The resolution has never been adopted even though it had a 30 day deadline for the plan to be enacted.

Now Zip forward to January 2006 - SIXTEEN MONTHS later - when the Lebanon Daily Star reported the new president of the European Union was still calling for implementation of 1559:
"The European Union reiterates the importance it attaches to the Lebanese government extending its authority to the entire national territory and encourages it to continue the dialogue ? with a view to the disarmament of Lebanese and non-Lebanese militias."

Also in January 2006 - SIXTEEN MONTHS later - the UN Security Council noted
"with concern the suggestion that there have been movements of arms and people into Lebanese territory and ? condemns the continued terrorist attacks in Lebanon, which have resulted in the death or injury of scores of Lebanese citizens ? as part of a deliberate strategy to destabilize the country and to intimidate the Lebanese people."

On July 12, 2006 the BBC had the headline describing the only possible result of the UN's inaction: Hezbollah Seizes Israel Soldiers.

This is not an islolated incident. This is an on going war against terror. Hezbollah has a game plan. Destablize the country and take over territory from Israel and Lebanon. They have little regard for life whether it be Lebanese or Israeli. Israel is defending itself against an aggressor. It is unfortuenate that the Hezbollah has not been dealt with by either the Lebanese government or UN intervention. Israel is doing what they do everytime no one intervenes. The Israelis commits troops to defend themselves. Again.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by wnfield' post='317658' date='Aug 1 2006, 07:05 PM
Does anyone remember the conflict between Lebanon and Israel in 2000? The Hezbollah seized 3 Israel Soldiers in a cross-border raid. The Israel soldiers died during the operation, but four years later, the Hezbollah were able to exchange their bodies for 430 Palestinians and Lebanese held in Israeli jails. Prisoner swap after four years (three dead Israelis for 430 live Palestinians and Hezbollah).

Maybe you see the response by Israel being lopsided. They remember the prisoner exchange in 2004. Their response is to avoid such lopsided exchanges in the future. I am not condoning the deaths of innocent people. In war the civilians are never the winners.

Any one heard of UN resolution 1559? This was adopted on September 2, 2004 (coming up on TWO YEARS ago) which, among other things, says the UN Security Council: Calls for the disbanding and disarmament of all Lebanese and non-Lebanese militias. The Secretary-General of the United Nations is Kofi Annan. Kofi Annan may well go down in history as the single most ineffective human being in the history of the Earth. The resolution has never been adopted even though it had a 30 day deadline for the plan to be enacted.

Now Zip forward to January 2006 - SIXTEEN MONTHS later - when the Lebanon Daily Star reported the new president of the European Union was still calling for implementation of 1559:
"The European Union reiterates the importance it attaches to the Lebanese government extending its authority to the entire national territory and encourages it to continue the dialogue ? with a view to the disarmament of Lebanese and non-Lebanese militias."

Also in January 2006 - SIXTEEN MONTHS later - the UN Security Council noted
"with concern the suggestion that there have been movements of arms and people into Lebanese territory and ? condemns the continued terrorist attacks in Lebanon, which have resulted in the death or injury of scores of Lebanese citizens ? as part of a deliberate strategy to destabilize the country and to intimidate the Lebanese people."

On July 12, 2006 the BBC had the headline describing the only possible result of the UN's inaction: Hezbollah Seizes Israel Soldiers.

This is not an islolated incident. This is an on going war against terror. Hezbollah has a game plan. Destablize the country and take over territory from Israel and Lebanon. They have little regard for life whether it be Lebanese or Israeli. Israel is defending itself against an aggressor. It is unfortuenate that the Hezbollah has not been dealt with by either the Lebanese government or UN intervention. Israel is doing what they do everytime no one intervenes. The Israelis commits troops to defend themselves. Again.

My thoughts on the above points find you in partial agreement.

The UN resolutions indirectly are targeted at Syria and Iran who are believed to be the internal engine of Hezbollah.

Whether we like it or not though, Hezbollah have 2 MP's democratically elected. Also Hamas has been democratically elected by it's people desperate for a solution.
Guess what? They are not "democratically" approved by western powers - Fair enough. It makes things more complicated.
But you're right, in this case even Saudi Arabia and Egypt were condemning Hezbollah actions which indicates even the heavyweights in the region are looking for a solution. But the regions' participants solutions and decisions should be the one's that dictate the regions fate. But I fear it's too late for this idealistic and naive path, even the Arab institutions are unable to react, let alone the UN.

This will result IMO in a new MiddleEast and Israel cannot fail to lose this fight. This is the reason for the ongoing military actions.
This will either lead to both sides softening up, calling a ceasefire, and pausing on the status-quo or Lebanon ending up in an open-ended situation where no-one wins and the region just drowns in it's own bloodbath.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I do not think there is any absolute right and wrong in what goes on in the Middle East. The conflicts are centuries old, and it is impossible to tell who is retaliating against what.

But, lets not forget some underlying facts. Hezbollah (an Hamas) both have the stated goal of destroying Israel. Can you imagine the United States allowing a group whose sworn goal is the destruction of the US to exist just across the border in Canada, and to send suicide bombers into the US or launch rockets into the US whenever it feels like it? What about a group sworn to the destruction of Germany located just across the border in Poland? If the UN is incabpable of disarming Hezbollah or otherwise ensuring Israel's safety, then Israel has the right to defend itself. While weapons are more sophistictaed now, war is not precise and there will be civillian casualities. If the government of Lebanon wanted to avoid this, they should have acted to disarm Hezbollah.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

I agree with those that war solves shit, sorry admin last time I wrote w/o *.

But really so disgusting, I might be an idiot idalist but why people regardless of skin, religon, money cannot live in peace. So ridiculous, and innocent people die, muslims, christians, white and others...WHY?

I do not agree with the theory that if you are attacked you fight back...if you kill o guilty innocent people, same for Iraqu.

OT why we need to discuss politics here this can go too far even if admin is watching

So let's hope not, but do not forget we are all different, and our remarks, opinion might hurt others, but we are human beings...respect all.

Hell ya I am on NO dope
Old 08-01-2006, 12:51 PM
stu
Members

I read this thread's title with some anxiety , thinking that there would be heaps of support for Israel .

BUT , further down the page , I'm delighted to see that many of you feel as I do . That Israel is making a big mistake.

Deliberately bombing the 4 UN workers in there compound, and now killing over 50 women and children - It's totally sub - human . They have to win the award as the most aggressive race on earth.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Watch out guys, don't let this discussion become a problem for anyone here, OK?
"Sub-human" "most aggressive race on earth"...
Don't start this. Discussing politics is something we should avoid on a forum like this.
But because of the current situation some people want to express their minds, and as long as this not going too far I'd say we don't need to close it... for now...

But I am sure our admins Lomag and Das are watching thise thread very carefully...
Old 08-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by ats77' post='317746' date='Aug 1 2006, 04:46 PM
I do not agree with the theory that if you are attacked you fight back...i

I simply cannot agree with this. If someone says they want to kill me, and then they really try to kill me, I will fight back.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by robg' post='317758' date='Aug 1 2006, 02:12 PM
I simply cannot agree with this. If someone says they want to kill me, and then they really try to kill me, I will fight back.
I agree.. I don't like wars but I think if terrorist attacks your country you have to fight back or else they'll keep attacking.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Members

Let's just say that our thoughts and prayers are with those that are affected by this war and let's hope that this conflict will somehow come to an end somewhen soon.
best thing to say

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Mideast Conflict