Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

For those visiting Munich

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I'm sure I'd like to know this if I was visiting. This is a place where you can park (in a proper parking place) and you're right at the very end of the Autobahn looking at the start of it, and right behind you are traffic lights that feed that Autobahn. So you can sit there and you see how much traffic is entering the Autobahn and if you time the lights and the traffic correct, then you've seen that no traffic has entered the Autobahn within the last half minute or so and can start your Vmax run. I did that today and only had to wait 30 seconds. During that 30 seconds I saw only one mini truck enter, so I knew I'd be on a clear run with only him to go past. You can see in this video:

that I only had him to pass for the first mile or two. I hit my Vmax of 158mph long before I caught up with any more traffic.

The road is completely straight, flat, smooth and unrestricted. After 5 miles or so you can take an exit and come back the other way (unrestricted again). Just make sure when you get to the end (where you started) that you really obey the stepped speed limits 120/100/80/60/50. You can even turn around and have another go

I've pointed it out with a green arrow in these few map screenshots at different zoom levels. You'll know you're in the right parking place if you can see the roundabout in front of you and the KFC just behind you on the right.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Contributors

How obvious is it that I'm in boring meetings today with time on my hands ?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Nice to know but I still feel that even though the speed limit (or lack of it) there allows you to hit any speed, where there are other public members on the road (even if its just one), its risky. We can't tell who is behind the wheel of the other vehicle.

Take care mate.

cheers

ps: Impressive video nevertheless.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='834427' date='Apr 3 2009, 12:08 AM
Nice to know but I still feel that even though the speed limit (or lack of it) there allows you to hit any speed, where there are other public members on the road (even if its just one), its risky. We can't tell who is behind the wheel of the other vehicle.
I think your attitude to speed is highly influenced on living in a country where there is a national speed limit and of course it's against the law to break it and very highly frowned upon to exceed it by a large amount. I know, I'm from the same country. I remember seeing front page headlines of national newspapers when someone is caught driving at 150mph. Not because it's an extreme speed, it's just that it's considered extreme in Britain because of how far away it is from the speed limit. Right now as I'm writing this, there will be probably a thousand people on the various Autobahns of Germany doing in excess of 150mph. By the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised if 50,000 people exceeded that speed today. If you come over here for an extended period of time, and were to drive at those speeds in a solid quality fast car, you'll realize just how normal it is. On dozens of occasions in the 90s (when I used to travel the length of the country on a regular basis for work) I would often make 400 mile trips in 3 hours (averaging over 130mph) because German metal can smoothly and safely cruise at those speeds all day long.

I recall once here in the early 90s when I had a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and I was stopped by the police because they thought my licence plate number wasn't real. The cop said "I know what British numbers look like, and that looks like one of those numbers they have on showroom cars". Once he was convinced it was a real (private) number plate, the two cops wanted to look under the bonnet/hood to see the engine. Not because they thought there was anything illegal, they just wanted too see the engine. Then they started asking how fast I've got it up to on the Autobahns and even gave me a tip to go on the A9 heading north out of Munich towards Berlin. "You can really see how fast it will go there" they said. Different mentality. On the other hand, where the roads are restricted, they're as vigilent here as they are in any country patrolling it with speed cameras.

Also, the accident rate and fatality rates here are right in the middle range compared to the rest of europe.