Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Texas License and Registration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a (stupid) question to ask the forum members from TX.

My girlfriend is using her parents' car temporarily here in NJ. The other day, I was cleaning out her Civic (it's literally a complete mess -- which rubs me the wrong way because I'm the type to not allow anyone to even think about eating in my car) and noticed that she didn't have all her paperwork together in one place. So I dug through her glove compartment and found what looked like a proof of insurance slip, but nothing that was definitively a registration.

I found two documents -- one was a "receipt" of registration by some "contractor" DMV agency and the other was a registration renewal form, which stated that the other half (which was no longer there) had to be sent in for the registration to be renewed. Now, my girlfriend is not the most savvy about cars, and told me that her father usually takes care of all of this, and she wasn't sure. Her registration and inspection stickers appear to be up-to-date, so I'm not concerned about the car being not registered, but I am concerned about the paperwork.

In any case, can our esteemed forum members from TX tell me what a TX registration is supposed to look like, or tell me if either of the docs I mentioned above constitute a "registration" in TX? I'd hate to get stopped driving her car and get fined $100-$200 for not having the proper paperwork.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:39 PM
JDN
Contributors

Texas registration is visible in the lower left corner of the windshield along with the safety inspection sticker. Texas law requires your to carry proof of insurance coverage but not your title registration.

The Texas Certificate of Title is a blue form with about a half-inch darker blue border. The Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice is white with a pink border. That is the form that you have. It accompanies the sticker that goes on the windshield.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 14 2005, 09:39 PM
Texas registration is visible in the lower left corner of the windshield along with the safety inspection sticker. Texas law requires your to carry proof of insurance coverage but not your title registration.

The Texas Certificate of Title is a blue form with about a half-inch darker blue border. The Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice is white with a pink border. That is the form that you have.? It accompanies the sticker that goes on the windshield.

Hope this helps.
[snapback]159349[/snapback]
Thanks for your reply. So just to be absolutely clear (since I am a little dense), the only document required to carry in their car is the proof of insurance? I'm just accustomed to be asked for my proof of insurance and registration, but if TX law doesn't require the latter to be carried, so be it (I won't have to bug my girlfriend's father for the documentation). Thanks again for your help!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fuenfer' date='Aug 15 2005, 01:57 PM
[quote name='JDN' date='Aug 14 2005, 09:39 PM']Texas registration is visible in the lower left corner of the windshield along with the safety inspection sticker. Texas law requires your to carry proof of insurance coverage but not your title registration.

The Texas Certificate of Title is a blue form with about a half-inch darker blue border. The Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice is white with a pink border. That is the form that you have.? It accompanies the sticker that goes on the windshield.

Hope this helps.
[snapback]159349[/snapback]
Thanks for your reply. So just to be absolutely clear (since I am a little dense), the only document required to carry in their car is the proof of insurance? I'm just accustomed to be asked for my proof of insurance and registration, but if TX law doesn't require the latter to be carried, so be it (I won't have to bug my girlfriend's father for the documentation). Thanks again for your help!
[snapback]159554[/snapback]
[/quote]

That would be correct - proof of insurance only!