Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Tell on yourself - what's your favorite driving story?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two...

In college I very imprudently, ahem, drove intoxicated a few times. One evening I was on my way back to my apartment from a party at around 10pm and suddenly saw the blue lights go on behind me. As I pulled over I suddenly realized that I was pretty drunk, but instead of panicking, inspiration struck. I grabbed my license and registration and got out of the car and went stalking angrily back to the sheriff's car behind me, shoved my paperwork toward his face and said angrily to him, "Are you crazy burning your bright lights when you follow people? You nearly blinded me!" Now bear in mind I went to college in a tiny town in NC called Boone which is in the mountains of North Carolina, Appalachian State University or ASU, more recently famous for taking down Michigan State in football last year. Had I done this to a more cosmopolitan cop I'm sure he could have cuffed my ass and taken me downtown. However, having probably not been exposed to some of the more dangerous and obnoxious things city cops get exposed to I did surprise him enough to take him off his guard. So he looks at me and says, "Have you been drinking ma'am, because you were weaving a little bit." And so I act all righteously indignant and say back very angrily, "No, but it doesn't surprise me a bit with your bright lights in my rear view mirror I couldn't see a thing!" Dude did not even ask me to blow, just let me go. I think I surprised him so much that it just rattled his game plan. Anyway, I got back in my car and prayed for the next two miles to PLEASE let me get home without incident. I was shaking with adrenaline by the time I got there. Anyway, I think that is about the ballsiest thing I've ever done and I NEVER drove drunk again!

Second, in 1999 my best friend and I went to England, France & Spain. In England we stayed with her family and friends and leaving London we drove to Yorkshire for a few days. I forget which "M" highway we were on, but I was cruising along at about 85 and Nathalie asked me to watch my speed that I didn't want to get a speeding ticket. After I slowed down it suddenly occurred to me that it didn't MATTER if I got a speeding ticket! My insurance would never go up as a result, because they don't report internationally so I could drive as fast as I wanted and the worst I might suffer was a fine. I figured I'd call it a souvenir expense! At that point I wished we had rented something with more "go" than the tiny Renault POS because I floored that bitch all the way to Harrowgate! That was my "WOO-HOO!" moment for sure! At home I'm too nervous about tickets to drive faster than about 80 on the interstates, so unless I go abroad again I'll probably never get to drive that fast again.