Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Technically, this is the last weekend of this season...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I've only gotten involved with going to meets and drives this year, so this is sort of the end of the "rookie season" for me in a way. Seen some great curves this year (and not only those I've posted for y'all fellars on this forum) and definitely went through a few tires. Now going to take the car in for an alignment and balancing, etc and will be gettin' ready for a winter (whether with this 530Xi or another car - not yet sure).

So what have I learned:

1. Until you've driven your car full-on through some curves, you're really just driving it "like its borrowed". Adding this group drive element to a car ownership is something of a completion of an already pretty perfect car.

2. 70% Chance of rain in the forecast means very little to no rain in real life.

3. Park Rangers have lots of rules, but when it all boils down to the core, they're all pink on the inside - just like regular people

4. Driving Solo is not nearly as much fun as having a (lightweight - Thank God ) passenger with you.

5. Perhaps a whole 'nother thread should be dedicated to my Sprint Booster experience, but let me just take the opportunity to reflect on it briefly, since it was a pretty big experience:
Originally, installing the SB opened my eyes to new levels of performance my car was "hiding" from me - or rather, I was too shy to explore. Now that I've received payment, taken it off and shipped it to it's new home, I've driven the car a couple of times without it - both times catching myself thinking how much I'm enjoying working harder to make the car act the same way it did when the SB was on. All things considered, it was well worth the experience - especially, since it ended up costing me some very negligible amount for the brief weeks that I've had it. I was originally planning to get a Velocity Booster, but now I'm thinking to just leave the throttle alone for a while and concentrate on some other things. Wow, this really could've ended up being a whole 'nother post... sorry

6. Dealers will always be dealers, but some are definitely worse than others. It remains to be seen whether any of them are actually better than others.

7. I don't know whether this is something I've learned this season, but I want to reflect on acquaintances and friendships that I've made through this forum:
I'd have to say that each and every person I've met at all the meets and otherwise, through and on this forum was and is a great pleasure to deal, chill and most importantly, drive with (yes, Joe, you too, biatch! ) With that in mind, I'd like to thank everyone for making this an even greater experience!

HAVE A GREAT (LONG, where applicable) WEEKEND!

PS If you have some time this weekend and a favorite curve nearby, g'head and give it a run or two. And in the end of this weekend, when we're all sitting online with our bellies hanging out and beers in non-mouse hands, you can have that little piece of excitement - that perfect convergence of driver, car, weather, and open road that no one will ever be able to take away from you - not a wife, nor a girlfriend; not even a ball-busting PO.

Special thanks to Scott, John, Joe, C, Gregg, Rudy, Iceman, Lomag, Craig (and the smoothie-makers), Tom (what up Cyprus!!!), Bronx crew (I'll take that Corona now, I think ), Anthony, Jimmy (don't know who he is, but I've been told I should mention his name ), Antti (Paljon Kiitoksia - exhaust tips look great!!!), Cal (here's a latte for ya, bud), Ricky (we good yet, Bro? ) and the whole HK sector (if not for your DIYs and other input, e60 would probably be about 15% as moddable as it is now).

Of course, the Queen of the forum Meli-Mel and the Princess - Brett.

Thanks to every seller and buyer in the classifieds, every and each poster (especially those who take and post lots of pics!!!) in the DIY, those of you with grease on your elbows and cameras dirty from snapping while working on your cars. Thanks to everyone I forgot to mention by name - as you can see, this is a very emotional moment for me . Rock on, 5 Series drivers and I'm looking forward to the next season already - even though we've got a few drives coming up this year still and I'm sure we'll cap the year off with loads more fun.

To paraphrase the famous adage,

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your tail lights.
May the sun shine warm upon your grilles;
the rains fall soft upon your roof and until we meet again,
may your Bimmer hold you in the grip of it's seat.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='998173' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:41 AM
I've only gotten involved with going to meets and drives this year, so this is sort of the end of the "rookie season" for me in a way. Seen some great curves this year (and not only those I've posted for y'all fellars on this forum) and definitely went through a few tires. Now going to take the car in for an alignment and balancing, etc and will be gettin' ready for a winter (whether with this 530Xi or another car - not yet sure).

So what have I learned:

1. Until you've driven your car full-on through some curves, you're really just driving it "like its borrowed". Adding this group drive element to a car ownership is something of a completion of an already pretty perfect car.

2. 70% Chance of rain in the forecast means very little to no rain in real life.

3. Park Rangers have lots of rules, but when it all boils down to the core, they're all pink on the inside - just like regular people

4. Driving Solo is not nearly as much fun as having a (lightweight - Thank God ) passenger with you.

5. Perhaps a whole 'nother thread should be dedicated to my Sprint Booster experience, but let me just take the opportunity to reflect on it briefly, since it was a pretty big experience:
Originally, installing the SB opened my eyes to new levels of performance my car was "hiding" from me - or rather, I was too shy to explore. Now that I've received payment, taken it off and shipped it to it's new home, I've driven the car a couple of times without it - both times catching myself thinking how much I'm enjoying working harder to make the car act the same way it did when the SB was on. All things considered, it was well worth the experience - especially, since it ended up costing me some very negligible amount for the brief weeks that I've had it. I was originally planning to get a Velocity Booster, but now I'm thinking to just leave the throttle alone for a while and concentrate on some other things. Wow, this really could've ended up being a whole 'nother post... sorry

6. Dealers will always be dealers, but some are definitely worse than others. It remains to be seen whether any of them are actually better than others.

7. I don't know whether this is something I've learned this season, but I want to reflect on acquaintances and friendships that I've made through this forum:
I'd have to say that each and every person I've met at all the meets and otherwise, through and on this forum was and is a great pleasure to deal, chill and most importantly, drive with (yes, Joe, you too, biatch! ) With that in mind, I'd like to thank everyone for making this an even greater experience!

HAVE A GREAT (LONG, where applicable) WEEKEND!

PS If you have some time this weekend and a favorite curve nearby, g'head and give it a run or two. And in the end of this weekend, when we're all sitting online with our bellies hanging out and beers in non-mouse hands, you can have that little piece of excitement - that perfect convergence of driver, car, weather, and open road that no one will ever be able to take away from you - not a wife, nor a girlfriend; not even a ball-busting PO.

Special thanks to Scott, John, Joe, C, Gregg, Rudy, Iceman, Lomag, Craig (and the smoothie-makers), Tom (what up Cyprus!!!), Bronx crew (I'll take that Corona now, I think ), Anthony, Jimmy (don't know who he is, but I've been told I should mention his name ). Of course, the Queen of the forum Meli-Mel and the Princess - Brett. Every seller and buyer in the classifieds, every and each poster (especially those who take and post lots of pics!!!) in the DIY, those of you with grease on your elbows and cameras dirty from snapping while working on your cars. Thanks to everyone I forgot to mention by name - as you can see, this is a very emotional moment for me . Rock on 5 Series drivers and I'm looking forward to the next season already (even though we've got a few drives coming up this year still and I'm sure we'll cap the year off with loads more fun).

To paraphrase the famous adage,

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your tail lights.
May the sun shine warm upon your grilles;
the rains fall soft upon your roof and until we meet again,
may your Bimmer hold you in the grip of it's seat.
Thanks Vlad. The driving season in the NYC area is not quite ever yet and extends into late November before snow really stars messing it up IMHO. There is still plenty of time for some more great drives including the Sept. 19th Pa SR 125 meet.

Some comments about car dealers. Some are bad and some are just fine. Most are just trying to make as much money as thry can which is their job. What I have found is that things are best when I do all my research prior to making an offer and then make a bottom-line take it or leave it offer in writing via email to the sales manager. I stopped dealing with salespeople on my leases years ago and that has made my life much much easier. I have found that when the sales manager knows that you know how the deal works and what the dealer's and the finance company's bottom line numbers/costs really are, things snap into place easily. When you go to their lot and deal with their salesperson, the dealer has you where they want you and the BS and games (like refusing to disclose or stalling to disclose the numbers that actually are the basis behind the offered monthly payment). The minute that you tell a dealer "I want to pay $X per month", you are f*cked becuase they have you right where they want you.

Can't wait to see your next ride Vlad. The rumor mill is that it might really be something special....and rare. Rare is good -- that's why I dig theXman's ride so much because no one's ride looks like his in our area (at least that I have seen)
Old 09-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='998178' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks Vlad. The driving season in the NYC area is not quite ever yet and extends into late November before snow really stars messing it up IMHO. There is still plenty of time for some more great drives including the Sept. 19th Pa SR 125 meet.

Can't wait to see your next ride Vlad. The rumor mill is that it might really be something special....and rare. Rare is good -- that's why I dig theXman's ride so much because no one's ride looks like his in our area (at least that I have seen)
I'm not puttin' my winter tires just yet, Scott

The SR 125 meet is looking like it'll be OFF THE HINGES - I too can't wait.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='998193' date='Sep 4 2009, 08:13 AM
I'm not puttin' my winter tires just yet, Scott

The SR 125 meet is looking like it'll be OFF THE HINGES - I too can't wait.
I am thinking that you will never be putting you winter tires back on your 530xi because it won't be your by then,

The driving at the Pa SR125 meet will be off the chain. The attendance level, not so much I think. It is better than it be under 10-15 card anyway given how demanding the road is.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

How about a size limit? I you have to scroll to read (or view) all of the post, it is too big.

mmm wonder why this post found this thread??

sixcard
Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

What a way to sum up your rookie season. Dude, it was too long. But thanks for sharing.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Way to quote away you 2 post whores

Vlad congrats on a fun and successful rookie season, if you were in NASCAR you could take the yellow tape off your bumper now.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Now comes the Sophomore jinx!!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Contributors

this is not the last weekend of the season in florida bitches.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='998825' date='Sep 4 2009, 06:53 PM
this is not the last weekend of the season in florida bitches.
I'm looking for a job/business in Florida for the winter, btw

Quick Reply: Technically, this is the last weekend of this season...