Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Sunglass thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='935328' date='Jul 7 2009, 11:10 AM
Where can you get the Oakley Square Wire from for a good price?
i love my square wires! they are an awesome but frankly an older pair of sunglasses. i still have mine and i thinks it's as old as my 5er, but to this day is as functional as ever. i now were my JET black prescription gascan religiously for driving. friggin' awesome
Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

How about eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='935327' date='Jul 7 2009, 11:10 AM
UV protection is not the only factor in judging the quality of sunglasses though. The cheap ones may offer the same type of UV protection as a more expensive one but lens quality such as clarity and uniformity is also crucial in protecting your eyes. If the thickness and curvature of the lens is not correct, light is bent and refracted into your retina and the image is slightly distorted. This is why sometimes people get headaches wearing cheap glasses because of small distortions.
this is so true. but also with cheap pairs of sunglasses, you will absolutely not have any type of scratch resistance coating applied to the lens. these generic lenses are so thin (prone to lense abberations) and not optically sound that it cannot take the intense heat process to apply this coating, hence the cheap price. the next worst thing to have on a lense beside decreased optical acquity is a scratched lens. uuggghhhh!! nothing more bothersome than constantly viewing through a blemish on the lens. the old adage applies: you get what you pay for!

by the way, a fairly dark tinted lens more often than not will provide sufficient uv protection. the only way of knowing for sure though is by use of a spectrometer, basically a uv meter that tests uv transmission through any optically manufactured lenses. now this meter does not discriminate whether a lens is uv coated or not, dark tint or no tint, so it does not know. i've tested sun tinted only to non-tinted uv coated lens and the uv transmission can be pretty much the same. but regardless, sunglasses and/or uv protection are a must for anyone wanting to protect their eye's longevity.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='935353' date='Jul 7 2009, 11:47 AM
this is so true. but also with cheap pairs of sunglasses, you will absolutely not have any type of scratch resistance coating applied to the lens. these generic lenses are so thin (prone to lense abberations) and not optically sound that it cannot take the intense heat process to apply this coating, hence the cheap price. the next worst thing to have on a lense beside decreased optical acquity is a scratched lens. uuggghhhh!! nothing more bothersome than constantly viewing through a blemish on the lens. the old adage applies: you get what you pay for!

by the way, a fairly dark tinted lens more often than not will provide sufficient uv protection. the only way of knowing for sure though is by use of a spectrometer, basically a uv meter that tests uv transmission through any optically manufactured lenses. now this meter does not discriminate whether a lens is uv coated or not, dark tint or no tint, so it does not know. i've tested sun tinted only to non-tinted uv coated lens and the uv transmission can be pretty much the same. but regardless, sunglasses and/or uv protection are a must for anyone wanting to protect their eye's longevity.
The reason they don't have the scratch protection? Because they're CHEAP, meaning you can buy what, 20 -30 pair before you have spent the same as expensive ones? I don't care about scratch resistance because if they get scratched, they get trashed and another $10 pair are on in seconds. No worries. I have used the cheap sunglasses for years now and my eyesight is still perfect (just had check up last week)
Old 07-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I have no idea, as they are quite old!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Silver Grey Metallic, black leather interior, 172 wheels, 35% tint, comfort, cold weather package, logic 7

http://www.police.it/
Old 07-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I'm considering some Tag Heuer eyeglasses
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Tag heuer has some glasses that help with the glare of other cars headlights. They say there lense is used in the 24hr le mans race.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='933149' date='Jul 5 2009, 01:44 PM
I thought you were talking about the QB for the Broncos!

Those shades tell the world one thing: I AM A DOUCHEBAG. He should stick to kicking sand in peoples' faces. Good thing he has them on to block my negativity.
qb for the bronco's? - i think you meant DA BEAAARS!!!! he got traded this off season I know this because my boyfriend has turned me into a Chiefs fan and he was laughing for hours as the broncos unloaded cutler and then a couple weeks later Brandon Marshall has demanded a trade. He loves to see the donkeys struggle!

Anyways sun glasses...for guys i really like those oakley ducati hijinx glasses. those are hot!!

I personally wear D&G's. 1 real pair for going out and getting dressed up and a fake pair for getting wasted and going out.....typically break them when i drunk so i dont want to good ones ruined!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by jdcinc21' post='933287' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:45 PM
These are what I have, I like them bc the block out sunlight very well.
Had them for about 3 years. I dont get new sunglasses until I break my old ones.
Mine dont have that wierd silver lines on it though.
Bought them from sunglass hut. Pic is from ebay, more than likely fakes.
haha my ex-wife has these Pradas

As for myyself, I have a few pairs laying around - used to buy new collections, but I lose glasses easily, so I decided to not pay more than $50 a pair a while back. Now I buy at Century 21 - whatever looks good: I have Ralph Lauren aviators, DKNYs, Diesels, Zegnas... I don't even know what else - I got a bunch...

but having seen this thread, I now really want me a pair of those Oakley Ducati ones

Quick Reply: Sunglass thread