Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Sorry to the newer members!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Apr 26 2005, 06:52 PM
What is the goal here then? To make every single post interesting to every single member??

[snapback]120286[/snapback]
I understand the goal is to save memebers' time when they open threads and read nothing but endless welcomes (sometimes completely outdated).
Old 04-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by arnolds' date='Apr 26 2005, 10:56 AM
Who said anything about complaining about posting a welcome message in a Welcome Thread.? We're talking about a welcome post in threads that newbies post in.?? :bashwall:
[snapback]120291[/snapback]
Exactly, and to welcome somebody once is still acceptable. But sometimes a thread comes up three or four times with a new welcome message from a current member.

Vern, I think you didn't read the whole thread. I was saying new members with a question (so not in introdutction thread) only get a welcome message and no answer to their question. That's not the reason they posted their question. If they only want to be welcomed they would have introduced themselve and would have asked no question. In that case we have a choice to read the introduction/welcome thread or not.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 26 2005, 08:07 AM
The first person to 10,000 posts gets a big gift from Iceman
[snapback]120192[/snapback]
Guess Iceman will be getting off cheap, going out and buying himself something nice...
Old 04-26-2005, 11:35 AM
MEX
Senior Members

im sorry, but i have to agree, even tough the welcome post is a nice touch and makes you feel accepted it sometimes gets very frustrating when you see a good question and you are waiting for an answer and you all you get are wellcome replies, maybe a PM? or maybe just ONE wellcome per thread per new member, sometimes you get 2 new members or more in a thread and it gets pretty big. Or maybe a different aproach in the lounge section.

I know its not about the post count, really! but come on lets keep it clean and useful
Old 04-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Apr 26 2005, 03:57 PM
Generally this is what I have concluded:
New members welcome the welcome message;
Old birds finds the welcome message annoying.

But the old birds were new birds once, and I was happy to see the welcome message then. We should continue with the welcome ritual ....
[snapback]120221[/snapback]
I must have been missed, as I'm sure I didn't have a "Welcome" message when I joined this forum.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 26 2005, 03:20 PM
Can someone clue me in on what prize the winner of the post count race gets?
[snapback]120166[/snapback]
Well, that I really want to know and asked myself very often...

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 26 2005, 04:07 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Apr 26 2005, 05:20 AM']Can someone clue me in on what prize the winner of the post count race gets?
[snapback]120166[/snapback]
The first person to 10,000 posts gets a big gift from Iceman
[snapback]120192[/snapback]
[/quote]

Now THAT is easy. Iceman gets a big gift from Iceman...

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Apr 26 2005, 04:34 PM
[quote name='Hobi' date='Apr 26 2005, 08:24 AM']
Probably a one-time free towing service within Germany!
[snapback]120203[/snapback]
Welcome aboard on the towtruck!!!
[snapback]120207[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, THAT service is reserved for FlowerFred...

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Apr 26 2005, 10:55 PM
[quote name='tategoi' date='Apr 26 2005, 03:57 PM']Generally this is what I have concluded:
New members welcome the welcome message;
Old birds finds the welcome message annoying.

But the old birds were new birds once, and I was happy to see the welcome message then. We should continue with the welcome ritual ....
[snapback]120221[/snapback]
I must have been missed, as I'm sure I didn't have a "Welcome" message when I joined this forum.
[snapback]120392[/snapback]
[/quote]

You joined the forum before alohalc and myself started the "welcome aboard" massages...

Here it is, just for you:

A belated welcome aboard, !
Old 04-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Ok guys...

I have been thinking about this for quite a while now and I am very happy this came up.
It is a lot of work to welcome everybody who is new here on the forum, because we are growing too fast...
But I didn't wanted to stop doing it, because some ppl who just signed up and were lurking around a while would be missing it...

Anyways...

Our forum is growing so fast, I can understand that it is annoying for some of you to click through the posts, and it's a lot of time for me to welcome everybody... I will stop doing it immediately!

This does NOT mean, that the ppl who now register are not welcome!

So, a general WELCOME ABOARD to everybody who is new to the forum!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll jump in with what's been on my mind for quite some time now...

<soapbox mode=on>

I agree that welcoming just for the sake of welcoming, although nice, can be tiresome for the person doing the welcoming as well as the forum members who have to sift through all the welcomes to get to the posts that actually have some "meat" to them.

I think about a year ago, when the forum was just developing into the major force that it is today, welcomes were a big part of the community because we all wanted the people converting from that "other board" to feel welcome and to stay here and spend some time.

Today, I do feel that it's nice to welcome new members (especially since guest posting is not allowed anymore) but I think the best rule (as I've been trying to practice for some time now) is to welcome someone but give them some information too!

If a newbie posts a question and you have an answer, take pleasure in welcoming him/her then give your answer. If you don't have anything to offer except for a welcome, it's probably best to simply know that someone else will be doing the welcoming for you when they answer the question. Hopefully, all of us will take time to notice the post count of these newbies to determine if a welcome is warranted or not. I'd say a single-digit post count deserves a welcome as long as you can provide assistance to the person in the post as well.

From time to time, people will post just to introduce themselves. In those cases, welcome away! It's likely that those threads will be in the lounge (either from the beginning or moved by an admin) so they shouldn't ruffle anyone's feathers there.

Feel free to disagree -- I'm not stating anything except my opinion. Regardless of what others do, I think I'll continue to follow this rule...

<soapbox mode=off>
Old 04-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by gabman' date='Apr 26 2005, 08:36 AM
Any reservations that I had concerning the stigma of driving a BMW instantly disappeared.

[snapback]120177[/snapback]
What stigma?

Nick
Old 04-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I think Rudy has a good solution.

Let's keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: Sorry to the newer members!