Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

So I finally kick the Starbucks habit when...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

So I finally kick the Starbucks habit, and been free and clear for almost a year.... However the other day I bought a happy meal for my kid.

I go ahead and order a Carmel mocha,

Of course so far I had three since Friday

One good thing about the Mac Donald's stuff is the cups are made of real Styrofoam! No more burnt hands or cardboard insulators.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Aren't the Mickey D's premium coffees cheaper than Starbucks or were you trying to kick the habit altogether?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

My wife is the same thing, I can still hear her order of Green tea latte Vente todate. She did this for a while and up until 2 years ago, she simply quit.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by pukka
Aren't the Mickey D's premium coffees cheaper than Starbucks or were you trying to kick the habit altogether?

I totally kicked the habit, was easily spending at least $100 a month for that crap. The Mickey Ds are cheaper but I don't need to be addicted to them again. I'm free and clear today.

One day at a time... one day at a time...
Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Forget kicking the coffee habit, coffee, water, and sometimes beer are my staples. Besides, there's a reason why they keep finding health benefits of coffee - it's the only drink not called "the blood of Christ" to be blessed by a Pope

Coffee, a history:

"Coffee first arrived on the European continent by means of Venetian trade merchants. Once in Europe this new beverage fell under harsh criticism from the Catholic church. Many felt the pope (Pope Clement VIII) should ban coffee, calling it the drink of the devil. To their surprise, the pope, already a coffee drinker, blessed coffee declaring it a truly Christian beverage."

Another tidbit:

"The priests believed that the coffee was the drink of the devil. That Satan had invented the drink for the Moslem infidels as a substitute for the wine they were forbidden to drink. Since wine in the Western Christian world was sanctified by Christ and used in Holy communion, coffee must then be of the Anti-Christ. If a Christian drank this devil brew they would risk damnation.

It was not until the late 1500's that Pope Clement VIII settled the dispute. He asked that the brew be brought before him. Intrigued by its powerful aroma, he sipped the coffee. It was delicious. The Pope blessed the coffee and baptized it on the spot. He reasoned that banishing this drink from the Christian world would be a larger sin. With the Pope's blessing, imports of coffee to Italy and the Western world came flooding in, paving the way for the first western coffee houses."
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm trying to kick my coffee habit, but it is really-really hard to do. I've quit cigarettes in April 2009, but still cannot kick coffee. I know that in theory, all you need to do is substitute the bad habit with a good habit. I was trying to sub coffee with water, but so far no success.

And John, coffee is NOT good for you, man. I know they keep finding "benefits" to it (and running it on Fox morning news... ), but it has been proven to stimulate growths and raise blood pressure - 'nuff said. But hey, I understand how hard it is to quit coffee, once you have a "habit".

I kind of think McDonalds coffee is not unlike buying organic apples from a chemical plant... but that's just me, ya know
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I never drank coffee before I lived in Europe. Once I was there I fell in love with cappuchino - so much that when they started banning smoking in bars and nightclubs I stopped drinking my usual hook (which gave me the urge to smoke in the first place) and started drinking cappuchinos there too.

I tried Starbucks and Mickey D's premium (when it debuted in Germany) and they both taste like crap compared to a good European coffee shop. As a result, I haven't touched coffee since I've been back in the states. Fortunately for me I've kicked the smoking habit too.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by v_therussian
And John, coffee is NOT good for you, man. I know they keep finding "benefits" to it (and running it on Fox morning news... ), but it has been proven to stimulate growths and raise blood pressure - 'nuff said. But hey, I understand how hard it is to quit coffee, once you have a "habit".

Vlad, I can tell ya - I have been drinking coffee since the baby bottle, literally. The doctor's only prognosis to my mom throughout my childhood was that coffee would stunt my growth, I am 6'4" so now my mom looks at me and goes "thank God it stunted your growth, how big would you have been"
Bottom line for me is that nowadays EVERYTHING is bad for you. Soon as someone can prove to me that if I don't smoke, don't drink, eat healthy, and excercise I'll live forever, then I'll change. Until then I don't plan on living until I'm 98 and decrepit anyway, so I'll keep my coffee, Marlboros, steaks, an occasional drinks - I figure you only live once, might as well enjoy it