Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Snow Leopard debacle...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

As some of you know, I manage my sister's MacBook Pro. She is a small business owner, and she relies on it heavily.

I upgraded her to Snow Leopard this weekend, and all seemed well. I made sure that Time Machine was working and a few other things as well.

A few things we found out after I left town:

-The Adobe plug-in for .pdf was removed during the upgrade
-The Apple .pdf handler doesn't allow her to fill in .pdf forms on websites (flaw of the old one too), which is critical for her work as a lawyer
-She rents office space at a multi-tenant green office building. The IT staff could not install the workgroup printer there which had worked under Leopard. They said that Snow doesn't have a driver yet. They are an Apple IT "shop", so this difficulty wasn't due to lack of expertise.

It's funny that the very issues Apple blasts Microsoft for have been handled just as badly as Microsoft used to do perhaps 5+ years ago. Windows 7 (in pre-release form) actually is far less impacting an upgrade since Microsoft has learned from its past mistakes.

If you attempt to download OS X peripheral drivers, 3rd party apps, etc... they all top out at 10.5.8. In some cases, this is proving to be a big issue for users.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Strange! And sorry to hear about these problems.

I backed up all three of our machines and then installed Snow Leopard in each, followed by restarts.

No issues whatsoever. I use Adobe for .pdf files all the time, no problem. Nothing else with printer drivers for the two printers that we have here.

There is already a SW Update for Snow Leopard - I have you updated?

Good luck with getting this in order!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='1009019' date='Sep 16 2009, 08:18 AM
Strange! And sorry to hear about these problems.

I backed up all three of our machines and then installed Snow Leopard in each, followed by restarts.

No issues whatsoever. I use Adobe for .pdf files all the time, no problem. Nothing else with printer drivers for the two printers that we have here.

There is already a SW Update for Snow Leopard - I have you updated?

Good luck with getting this in order!

Yes, I did Software Update several times.

Her printer at home (a Lexmark) works fine. A re-install of the Adobe .pdf fixed things, but I find it funny how the much-touted enhancements to the Apple .pdf handler still fall far short of the Adobe Reader.

I think that it's likely that common home peripherals work fine, but the bigger stuff you might find in an office still appear to be lagging.

The ironic thing is, the touted feature of having your printer driver updated via Software Update instills a false sense that upgrading couldn't possibly create any issues. The exact opposite message should be the one Apple communicates - that there -is- a chance a printer that worked under Leopard won't work in Snow.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Contributors

Sorry to thread-jack but is Snow Leopard really worth getting? I know it's only a $30 upgrade but do you really see an improvement in the OS?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

Indeed sorry to hear about your problems, but i also upgraded to Snow Leopard and i had no problems or issues whatsoever. I took a quick jump on it as soon as it was released so to be sure if everything works here in the office.

Now i'm expecting 4 Mac Minis, a Mac Pro for server duty, and a Macbook Pro 15". Also bought Snow Leopard Server.

PS: We use here a HP K5400dtn and a Xerox Workcentre 4150
Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bigwill222' post='1009038' date='Sep 16 2009, 03:01 PM
Sorry to thread-jack but is Snow Leopard really worth getting?
You know the [new] rules around here. It's not called a thread-jack, it's called a Kanye.

"Sorry to do a Kanye up in here, and I'll let you finish, but is Snow Leopard worth getting because Beyonce is still using Tiger and it's awesome ?"

That's how it should be done. (just kidding in case you never read the Kanye threads)
Old 09-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1009046' date='Sep 16 2009, 04:12 PM
You know the [new] rules around here. It's not called a thread-jack, it's called a Kanye.

"Sorry to do a Kanye up in here, and I'll let you finish, but is Snow Leopard worth getting because Beyonce is still using Tiger and it's awesome ?"

That's how it should be done. (just kidding in case you never read the Kanye threads)
Old 09-16-2009, 05:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Wow, I am waiting for my snow leopard to come in...

Tonymac
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My printers didn't work at first but they released an update. So make sure u check for the latest updates and make sure u have the 10.6.1 update.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='1009066' date='Sep 16 2009, 06:39 AM
Wow, I am waiting for my snow leopard to come in...

Tonymac
I've been running Snow Leopard on 3 machines for over 4 months now and have ZERO problems with it. It actually makes a lot of tasks that I do much faster. There was a time when there were problems with printers not getting right permissions to print, but that was fixed in printer driver updates. They can be fixed even with going into the GIMP Print server built into the OS (http://localhost:631/)...

After I found out I could run the OS using 64bit Kernel that made the machine evern faster. It's like getting a new machine, without getting a new machine.

I was waiting for the release of Snow Leopard to purchase new Macs. Now that it has been released I've purchased 2 new Macs, a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro. Apple has really done a GREAT job with Snow Leopard.

For those of you waiting to upgrade, don't wait, just do it.

For PDF editing, I don't rely on Apple's PDF engine, but I use Adobe Acrobat Pro, It is much more robust.

Let me know if you run into any problems, maybe I can help.

Thanks,
Gary

Quick Reply: Snow Leopard debacle...