Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Serious Windows Vulnerability

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='219193' date='Jan 4 2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I've considered loading OS X onto my Dell Latitude, but I don't want to piss off our IT department with a rogue, unlicensed copy of something that isn't supposed to be available. Also, they don't support Apple.

I do plan to purchase an Apple laptop sometime this year. There should be an announcement in a week or so for the Intel Yonah-based dual-core Mac laptops. Dell and others will be shipping these units in February, and Apple won't be left out. They're coming...
you will never go back, i only am forced to use PC based machines for work, i have a desktop and laptop that runs XP and the system is the worst, at home i use my Mac, the interface and core of the Apple operating system is amazing....i've been waiting for the damn G5 laptop for so darn long now, but hopefully with the new deal with Intel, Apple will be able to finally bring a new laptop to market, im guessing it will be a G6 though since the new chipset would be used...the next Macworld is in 4 days, so if its on its way, we'll find out real soon....
Old 01-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Well you guys can stop arguing Microsoft just issued a patch
Old 01-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

No, I know. Really. I have an old NeXTSTEP (running the precursor of Mac OS X... NeXTSTEP), and I used to operate several OS X Server 1.0 build G3s for video streaming. I've even played with DARWIN on X86 (in addition to the X86 build Mac OS X)

I think for "business" use (productivity apps, basic Internet apps, VPN clients, etc...) and technical basics (to me that means a laptop that I can use to console/ssh to hardware), the Mac and MAC OS X should be fine. I'd still want a Windows partition/drive/machine for "personal" use to ensure that I could take advantage of every little neat thing that gets coded.

The new laptops shouldn't have the "G" naming convention - that is tied to the IBM POWER architecture (POWER 3, 4, 5...)

Intel is doing so much marketing right now, Apple would be silly not to capitalize on it and use the actual name of the chips (or at least Pentium-M/Centrino). The new ones should really be impressive. I just hope Apple doesn't wait for Merom...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Microsoft issued an update today:
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us
Old 01-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

stream's link didn't work on my machine (it took me right to the normal Windows Update page but Windows Update didn't find anything for me to download.)

Is this one of those things MS is rolling out slowly?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Yup, Windows Update found it too. Woohoo! Good thing they beat the Jan 10th forcast.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='219691' date='Jan 5 2006, 03:04 PM
stream's link didn't work on my machine (it took me right to the normal Windows Update page but Windows Update didn't find anything for me to download.)

Is this one of those things MS is rolling out slowly?
Reboot your PC, and if you have it set to automatically detect MS updates, you'll get it.

If you happended to disable the DLL as in my post above, you should inable it--click start, run, then copy & paste the following:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll

If you installed the temporary fix in my post above, uninstall it by clicking on start, control panel, add or remove programs, then go to the bottom of the list and look for the Windows WMGF vulnerability program.

Glad to see MS broke out of their usual weekly updates to address this one.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by stream' post='219699' date='Jan 5 2006, 06:13 PM
Reboot your PC, and if you have it set to automatically detect MS updates, you'll get it.
I'll try that but I rarely reboot most of my machines at home -- why wouldn't my manually going to Windows Update pick it up?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='219741
I'll try that but I rarely reboot most of my machines at home -- why wouldn't my manually going to Windows Update pick it up?
[/quote]

It did for me. Did you have the other patch installed? MS might have WinUpdate detect the other one to make sure it won't automatically download and install it over top...
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='219741
[/quote]

If you leave your PCs on, I assume you still get the Tuesday Windows updates? I found that if your PC is on, it takes longer to get them than if you reboot or happen to turn on a PC during the day (like one of my kids').

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='219779
Originally Posted by stream' post='219699' date='Jan 5 2006, 06:13 PM

It did for me. Did you have the other patch installed? MS might have WinUpdate detect the other one to make sure it won't automatically download and install it over top...
[/quote]

Mine automatically notified me that updates were available without rebooting, even though I installed the "unauthorized" patch. I do find that you get the updates later if you PC has been on for a while when the updates are released, vs. if you turn on the PC, or rebooting, after they've been released.

Quick Reply: Serious Windows Vulnerability