Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Selling a car, the do's and don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting my E320 (W211) on the market in a couple of weeks. Any tips that you guys are willing to share is appreciated!

I'll be listing it on the Australian Car Sales website (carsales.com.au) and also the Saturday car section of the local paper.

Some questions:
1. Before a test drive, do you get the prospective buyer to sign a document to state that they agree to pay for any damage or fines? Any templates for this?

2. Do you always insist to get a copy of their drivers license?

3. Have you had any instances where you didn't go along with the test drive?

4. I can't find my manual. Should I purchase it or just tell the buyer to buy it from the dealer? Does it matter?

5. I'm not planning to change the tyres as I'm selling the car, but new tyres will be needed soon. Should I highlight this to the buyer? I'm thinking no.

6. Do you ever give out your home address to prospective buyers? I was thinking of meeting any prospective buyers away from my home...but I'm just paranoid when it comes to my home and family safety.

7. I've got some minor scratches on the doors and rims. I believe I'll need to spend around $500 to fix everything up. Should I bother? I think I should but....

Thanks in advance!