Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Sell Car Without Title In NY

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

As you know, NYS DMV sucks! They have to mail you the title. I do not understand why and it also takes 2 months! Now let's say someone wants to buy my car I JUST registered, how the HELL do I sell it??? Of course my car doesnt have a lien. Paid for it cash.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. I just paid off my auto loan with Chase. I wonder where my title is going. Directly to me or to the DMV? Damn. Now I got to go to the DMV and find out.

I hope it don't take 2 months to get mine. That would suck. I would have to tell the buyers it'll take 2 months.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Hmmm. I just paid off my auto loan with Chase. I wonder where my title is going. Directly to me or to the DMV? Damn. Now I got to go to the DMV and find out.

I hope it don't take 2 months to get mine. That would suck. I would have to tell the buyers it'll take 2 months.
Most States send the title to the lien holder, when you pay-off your car, your lien holder will mail it to you. With Chase, I have to make a phone call to them and request my title.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

that's weird. I always have my title on hand even if there's a lein.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

You have a "copy" of the title on hand - it will also have the lien-holder listed in the title. When you pay off the loan, your lien-holder should mail you the clean title within a couple of weeks. That's how long it "usually" used to take, back when I was working with cars. I should add also, that when you pay the loan off, you should request the lien-holder send you the clean title, as oftentimes they "forget". Also, each bank has its own procedure, but in essence the steps are what I told you.

And yes, you can definitely sell the car without a title. Just issue a bill of sale to the buyer. The buyer will then have to wait until you receive the title and give/send it to him. There can be no two titles issued for the same car at the same time - only one at a time. So your title will come to you, you'll sign it and give it over. Then the buyer goes and registers the car permanently. Until then, he/she has to drive with a temporary regi, temp plates.

It is slightly more complicated if the buyer is financing the car as well, because banks require that you mail them the title as soon as you sign off the cash to the seller. But this too is workable.

GL Brother
Old 01-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

Hello Fellas.

If you have a lien holder on your title. Ones the loan is paid off the bank will send you a letter, saying that the loan has is fulfilled. You can either:

A: Send that letter with the title you have to with the lien holder on it to the DMV and they will process and send you a clean title takes about 3 months.

or

B: you can sell the car with the title which has the lien holder on it, as long as you have the letter from the bank. The new purchaser will be able to regiser it.

If you dont have the title you must request a copy from the state.