Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Scary Driving Stories

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='996320' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:23 PM
Yep, pieces of rider, he had hit the posts while sliding and basically disintegrated.
BRUTAL!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='996320' date='Sep 2 2009, 05:23 PM
Yep, pieces of rider, he had hit the posts while sliding and basically disintegrated.
Damn
Old 09-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Contributors

ive got some. you've all heard em.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='996413' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:13 PM
ive got some. you've all heard em.
Tell us more about flying smoothies, pleeeeese!!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='996290' date='Sep 2 2009, 05:02 PM
Sounds like you'll have felt like I did after doing my 360. A couple of seconds the wrong way and who knows how much we could have ruined the lives of many people.
I hear ya!

Words can't describe what it feels like when you are in a moving vehicle that is out of control.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I can't say I ever really get "scared" behind the wheel - I just react. I get scared after I pull over and get out of the car.

Here's a story about cars out of control:

It was sometimes in November in New York, I was driving on Belt Parkway (a 6-lane highway in a more or less rural area). This particular highway has a draw bridge at one point, which is unpaved and is made of exposed metal "mesh". I was driving on that bridge behind a van (I'm pretty sure it was a Ford Aerostar), which was not going very fast at all - I'd say we were both going about 55 miles per hour. When the van was on that draw bridge, apparently, one of his rear tires' metal cords (that tire was down to metal - I had noticed it a while before we got to that bridge, but both other lanes were full, so I neglected to switch lanes)... so, his tire cord got caught in the bridge's metal mesh somehow and out of nowhere, with no warning at all, one of his rear tires just burst. The van - still directly in front of me about 25-30 feet, or so - swerves to the left, falls on it's side and proceeds to flip about 5-6 times - ALL WHILE I'M LITERALLY several feet away!!! Luckily, I braked in time to avoid him completely and the driver of the van got out and walked away. But it was something else - seeing this van spin and flip, like it was a Matchbox toy. In retrospect, it was no doubt scary, but in the moment I felt nothing - maybe a slight fascination at how easily this thing flipped.

Lesson learned - now if I see a car/van/trunk/anything else on the road that looks like it may not have been properly maintained, I stay the heck away from it.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='996786' date='Sep 3 2009, 03:54 AM
I can't say I ever really get "scared" behind the wheel - I just react. I get scared after I pull over and get out of the car.

It was sometimes in November in New York, I was driving on Belt Parkway (a 6-lane highway in a more or less rural area). This particular highway has a draw bridge at one point, which is unpaved and is made of exposed metal "mesh". I was driving on that bridge behind a van (I'm pretty sure it was a Ford Aerostar), which was not going very fast at all - I'd say we were both going about 55 miles per hour. When the van was on that draw bridge, apparently, one of his rear tires' metal cords (that tire was down to metal - I had noticed it a while before we got to that bridge, but both other lanes were full, so I neglected to switch lanes)... so, his tire cord got caught in the bridge's metal mesh somehow and out of nowhere, with no warning at all, one of his rear tires just burst. The van - still directly in front of me about 25-30 feet, or so - swerves to the left, falls on it's side and proceeds to flip about 5-6 times - ALL WHILE I'M LITERALLY several feet away!!! Luckily, I braked in time to avoid him completely and the driver of the van got out and walked away. But it was something else - seeing this van spin and flip, like it was a Matchbox toy. In retrospect, it was no doubt scary, but in the moment I felt nothing - maybe a slight fascination at how easily this thing flipped.

Lesson learned - now if I see a car/van/trunk/anything else on the road that looks like it may not have been properly maintained, I stay the heck away from it.
Damn

About the lesson learned, minivans are often the worst
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='996307' date='Sep 2 2009, 10:13 PM
The car was a Mercedes C230 Kompressor, I never new that the tiny 1.8L 4 cylinder had enough power to really get that car sliding on dry pavement....
It does have a supercharger fitted...
Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='996786' date='Sep 3 2009, 03:54 AM

crazy story V glad u survived!! one point though, if you believe that the Belt pkwy and mill basin bridge is a RURAL area, I cant imagine what you think of as an urban area brooklyn couldnt be more overcrowded than it already is!!!!!!!