Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Scary Driving Stories

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got two I can recall.

I had a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo that I'd had boosted up to around 300 bhp, so it was enough to move pretty quick. It was a dry day and I was accelerating moderately (about 50% throttle, nothing crazy) and I was approaching a hump-back bridge. You could go over it at 40mph and there'd be no drama whatsoever. I was approaching it between 50mph and 60mph and apparently that was enough to "get some air". I was probably only an inch or two off the ground and probably for not much more than a second, but it was during this second and the complete lack of friction that the rear wheels were suddenly experiencing that made them suddenly spin a lot quicker and the revs rose and all that made the turbos spool up to max and as I touched down, it was time for the non-LSD diff to determine which of the rear wheels it was going to let spin and which was going to get traction. One of them won. I lost, and quickly. The car did a complete 360 quicker than I could ever have imagined possible and with pure luck I managed to keep it going in a straight line as another car was approaching me in the opposing lane (no divider). If I'd made that move 3 seconds later my 360 spin would have taken both me and that other car out. As mentioned above, I wasn't even speeding and wasn't even on full throttle. Lesson learned from that? Don't keep your foot on the gas pedal in a turbocharged car when it goes light or you get air.

In Germany on an Autobahn cruising at 155mph in a BMW 735 and I was on a really long straight. There were two lanes and a very narrow emergency/hard-shoulder lane, I could see a truck up ahead about a mile and a small car sat behind the truck. As I'm approaching (with my lights on) the little car stays behind the truck. No "car body language" at all indicating that he's unhappy to be there. Getting closer and closer and he's still happy there. So I keep going at 155 happy in the knowledge that he's really happy there. As I get to about 10 car lengths away, this car which is doing about 60mph pulls straight into my lane. I manage to slow down to about 140mph but it's nowhere near enough - if I'd stayed in my lane then I would have crashed into the little car probably at about 120mph at best, so I manage to swerve towards the emergency lane which can't have been more than 2 inches wider than my actual car and I "undertook" both of them at 140mph. Well, if that isn't enough to test if your heart's up to the job I don't know what is.

Oh, last one, #3

Cruising on an Autobahn at a modest 100mph overtaking some slowpokes and on the other carriageway going in the opposite direction (separated by a double metal barriered divider) I saw a Mercedes SEC swerve into one lane then swerve into another. It was like he was losing it and fighting with opposite lock to hold onto it. It was a dry day, so I don't know what his deal was. Anyway, he did eventually lose it and he was heading straight for me at an angle. He couldn't hit me of course, there were two barriers in between, but just before he reached the barrier there was probably a foot or two of dirt and as he hit that he pushed a good amount of it up into the air. The barrier did it's job well, it seemed to hold onto him and bring his car into line. I think all he would have suffered in the end would probably be a large amount of scratches and dents along one side of his car. That dirt that went flying hit my windscreen and for a couple of seconds I couldn't see where I was going at 100mph. Luckily while seeing him start to lose it, I'd taken a mental snapshot of what was going on in my side so I could take evading action by moving into a different lane if I'd needed to so I knew there was nobody in front or behind me and nobody directly next to me. I just let go of the gas pedal while trying to wash my screen and using the view out of the side window and clean parts of the windshiled to make sure I was going in a straight line. Not really a close call for me but scary too.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

The nastiest thing I ever saw when driving was when I saw in the military in Texas. I was in the left lane doing about 90 mph, the lanes of traffic separated by a metal guardrail, and here comes a Kawasaki Ninja on the shoulder to my left and he blew by me like I was standing still. About a half mile later traffic comes to a dead stop and after about an hour of creeping slowly forward we come to the scene of the crash. Apparently the Ninja rider had lost it and went sliding at well over 100 mph into the posts supporting the guardrail because pieces of him were all over the left lane and shoulder. Nastiest crash I have ever seen.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Actually I wasn't driving but it is road related. Back in 1994 a gas tanker carry 9200 gallons of gasoline crashed and created a fireball on Interstate 287 I saw the fireball from my apartment window and a few days later drove past the aftermath...scary!

Looks like they only JUST got the bridge repaired

http://www.lohud.com/article/2009908170368
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='995786' date='Sep 2 2009, 07:27 AM
I've got two I can recall.

I had a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo that I'd had boosted up to around 300 bhp, so it was enough to move pretty quick. It was a dry day and I was accelerating moderately (about 50% throttle, nothing crazy) and I was approaching a hump-back bridge. You could go over it at 40mph and there'd be no drama whatsoever. I was approaching it between 50mph and 60mph and apparently that was enough to "get some air". I was probably only an inch or two off the ground and probably for not much more than a second, but it was during this second and the complete lack of friction that the rear wheels were suddenly experiencing that made them suddenly spin a lot quicker and the revs rose and all that made the turbos spool up to max and as I touched down, it was time for the non-LSD diff to determine which of the rear wheels it was going to let spin and which was going to get traction. One of them won. I lost, and quickly. The car did a complete 360 quicker than I could ever have imagined possible and with pure luck I managed to keep it going in a straight line as another car was approaching me in the opposing lane (no divider). If I'd made that move 3 seconds later my 360 spin would have taken both me and that other car out. As mentioned above, I wasn't even speeding and wasn't even on full throttle. Lesson learned from that? Don't keep your foot on the gas pedal in a turbocharged car when it goes light or you get air.

In Germany on an Autobahn cruising at 155mph in a BMW 735 and I was on a really long straight. There were two lanes and a very narrow emergency/hard-shoulder lane, I could see a truck up ahead about a mile and a small car sat behind the truck. As I'm approaching (with my lights on) the little car stays behind the truck. No "car body language" at all indicating that he's unhappy to be there. Getting closer and closer and he's still happy there. So I keep going at 155 happy in the knowledge that he's really happy there. As I get to about 10 car lengths away, this car which is doing about 60mph pulls straight into my lane. I manage to slow down to about 140mph but it's nowhere near enough - if I'd stayed in my lane then I would have crashed into the little car probably at about 120mph at best, so I manage to swerve towards the emergency lane which can't have been more than 2 inches wider than my actual car and I "undertook" both of them at 140mph. Well, if that isn't enough to test if your heart's up to the job I don't know what is.

Oh, last one, #3

Cruising on an Autobahn at a modest 100mph overtaking some slowpokes and on the other carriageway going in the opposite direction (separated by a double metal barriered divider) I saw a Mercedes SEC swerve into one lane then swerve into another. It was like he was losing it and fighting with opposite lock to hold onto it. It was a dry day, so I don't know what his deal was. Anyway, he did eventually lose it and he was heading straight for me at an angle. He couldn't hit me of course, there were two barriers in between, but just before he reached the barrier there was probably a foot or two of dirt and as he hit that he pushed a good amount of it up into the air. The barrier did it's job well, it seemed to hold onto him and bring his car into line. I think all he would have suffered in the end would probably be a large amount of scratches and dents along one side of his car. That dirt that went flying hit my windscreen and for a couple of seconds I couldn't see where I was going at 100mph. Luckily while seeing him start to lose it, I'd taken a mental snapshot of what was going on in my side so I could take evading action by moving into a different lane if I'd needed to so I knew there was nobody in front or behind me and nobody directly next to me. I just let go of the gas pedal while trying to wash my screen and using the view out of the side window and clean parts of the windshiled to make sure I was going in a straight line. Not really a close call for me but scary too.
#2 was probably an American tourist. I can see that happening....
Old 09-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='996191
Actually I wasn't driving but it is road related. Back in 1994 a gas tanker carry 9200 gallons of gasoline crashed and created a fireball on Interstate 287 I saw the fireball from my apartment window and a few days later drove past the aftermath...scary!

Looks like they only JUST got the bridge repaired

http://www.lohud.com/article/2009908170368
Those both sound horrific. So glad I didn't see either of those.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

This one is more stupid than scary.

A long time ago I was driving to the beach in my Camaro. I was doing about 60-70ish on the two lane highway that led to Tybee Island when I started hearing an annoying ticking sound that was coming from the drivers side T-top lever. I started playing with the lever while driving and like a dumbass I opened it .

Before I could even think "oh sh.t" the T-top flipped off the car and went AIRBORNE. I watched it through my rear view mirror and all I could do was hope that it wouldn't land on top of another car. Luckily it just bounced on the other side of the road and then shattered. A few seconds later a top-down convertible with 4 people drove right over where first landed apparently oblivious to what just happened. If it wasn't for those few seconds it could have landed on someones head.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='996259' date='Sep 2 2009, 10:45 PM
This one is more stupid than scary.

A long time ago I was driving to the beach in my Camaro. I was doing about 60-70ish on the two lane highway that led to Tybee Island when I started hearing an annoying ticking sound that was coming from the drivers side T-top lever. I started playing with the lever while driving and like a dumbass I opened it .

Before I could even think "oh sh.t" the T-top flipped off the car and went AIRBORNE. I watched it through my rear view mirror and all I could do was hope that it wouldn't land on top of another car. Luckily it just bounced on the other side of the road and then shattered. A few seconds later a top-down convertible with 4 people drove right over where first landed apparently oblivious to what just happened. If it wasn't for those few seconds it could have landed on someones head.
Sounds like you'll have felt like I did after doing my 360. A couple of seconds the wrong way and who knows how much we could have ruined the lives of many people.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

holy shit to all the stories so far!! omg. one time i was hanging out with this dude (who ended up being one of my best bros) and he had a 92 or 91? twin turbo 300z, modded and built of course pushing around 400 hp. i was 19 and never really been in a fast ride let alone w anyone crazy enough to take 35 mph corners @ 90. so i was fucking with him like "c'mon bro take me for a ride, that things not that fast..." yada yada so my bros like allright asshole get in. this was in fallbrook so theres lots of windy roads and needless to say i was shitting my pants within 5 minutes.
anyways theres a road called alvorado and we were heading towards town on it im guessing at around 90-100, it was a hill and it had a hump on the way up into the peak. we caught a small amt. of air on the first hump and i looked over and my bro was laughing and laughing as we crested the top we caught (no fish tail) @ least 3-4 feet. seriously ferris bueller style air!! we landed in the other lane and he swerved/braked back into our own lane. and by this time he was no longer laughing and looked pale as i was! when we got out i literally kiseed the ground on my knees with the whole "thank you god thank you god" when i got up i expected him to be doing the same considering how pale he was but nope, the fucker was under the car looking for bent steering pieces i was like "WTF man!" and he was all "damn, i never done that before, hey take a look at this arm does it look bent? shit!" i couldnt believe it if there woulda been another car in that lane where we landed we woulda been dead as dead!
he ended up selling it a week later and got a 95' 540.. we hit a 160 a few weeks later in it and i was thinking i cant believe im riding with this guy again..!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='996191' date='Sep 2 2009, 03:39 PM
The nastiest thing I ever saw when driving was when I saw in the military in Texas. I was in the left lane doing about 90 mph, the lanes of traffic separated by a metal guardrail, and here comes a Kawasaki Ninja on the shoulder to my left and he blew by me like I was standing still. About a half mile later traffic comes to a dead stop and after about an hour of creeping slowly forward we come to the scene of the crash. Apparently the Ninja rider had lost it and went sliding at well over 100 mph into the posts supporting the guardrail because pieces of him were all over the left lane and shoulder. Nastiest crash I have ever seen.
Pieces of the driver?

Scariest so far was when I was driving in my sisters car about 1 year ago. She was next to me and her BF was in the back. I decide to turn off the ESP in the car, and give it a little gas around the corner and broke the back loose. Being the uneducated driver that I was, I hit the brakes instead of JUST correcting. That caused the back to swing out the other way and I almost hit a lamp pole. I felt like a complete tool for about a week after. Had I crashed it would have SUCKED!!

The car was a Mercedes C230 Kompressor, I never new that the tiny 1.8L 4 cylinder had enough power to really get that car sliding on dry pavement....
Old 09-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='996307' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:13 PM
Pieces of the driver?

Scariest so far was when I was driving in my sisters car about 1 year ago. She was next to me and her BF was in the back. I decide to turn off the ESP in the car, and give it a little gas around the corner and broke the back loose. Being the uneducated driver that I was, I hit the brakes instead of JUST correcting. That caused the back to swing out the other way and I almost hit a lamp pole. I felt like a complete tool for about a week after. Had I crashed it would have SUCKED!!

The car was a Mercedes C230 Kompressor, I never new that the tiny 1.8L 4 cylinder had enough power to really get that car sliding on dry pavement....
Yep, pieces of rider, he had hit the posts while sliding and basically disintegrated.

Quick Reply: Scary Driving Stories