Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

San Francisco short Break

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009 | 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Got back last night was up for around 30 hours, always the prob coming home from your side. Well what a fantastic time we had. The rain was just mental. I thought Scotland was bad but OH MY GOD it never stopped.

Managed to bike the bridge on Saturday ( Nice day we missed the rain until we came back ) Got to be one best thing we have ever done. We went to the first town can't remember its name, had a coffee and biked back. Excellent.

Audio tour of Alcatraz was also excellent. Usually they are poor and boring but the combination of officers and inmates made it very interesting. Great day out. You need to go early though.

Queuing for the trams took a while but it is a must do activity if going to San Francisco so we did it 3 times great experience.

We must have walked around 10 miles or so everyday ( we love exploring ) 1st 2 nights we were in bed at 9 O' clock completely knackered.

I love the lack of ( not unsafe ) health and safety. We went round the submarine and the ship on fisherman's wharf. The ship we could walk around with ease even on deck there were ropes, hoses & anchor chains we could walk over no issues. Over here you cant do anything it is getting silly.

Got to hate your emergency service sirens. No way you can sleep through that. Every night they were up and down the street several times. Very noisy. We were staying in Geary street, it is maybe better if you stay further out of the city centre.

Even the street beggars did not harass you. They asked for cash then leave you alone if you gave them or not.

We did not get to the academy of sciences. We were going to hire one of those 2 person car things but just too much rain so we prob missed a few things. Weather is the one thing you cant plan for.

Thanks for everyones suggestions much appreciated.

Anyway, rain or not I can fully recommend the experience. Excellent.
Old 02-21-2009 | 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Oh, and must say a very big thanks to GOLD PANDA for all the info and help he gave me much appreciated

Thanks

Paul
Old 02-21-2009 | 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

If you come out this way again we should try to get some of the NorCal members together for an international meeting! Do you live in or near Aberdeen? I spent much of my childhood in the Shetland Islands and I used to travel to and from Aberdeen pretty frequently on the P&O ferry that used to run up to Lerwick. That was over 30 years ago, but I do remember Aberdeen pretty well!
Old 02-21-2009 | 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Ah it's too bad you've already left or like swajames said, we would have loved to come out and give a genuine E60.net greeting and showed you around the area. I live about an hour from SF but I'm there about once a week for work and probably could have met up with you.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the experience and glad to see the rain didn't dampen your enjoyment. Also glad you and your wife got home safely.
Old 03-11-2009 | 06:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='798595' date='Feb 22 2009, 01:44 AM
If you come out this way again we should try to get some of the NorCal members together for an international meeting! Do you live in or near Aberdeen? I spent much of my childhood in the Shetland Islands and I used to travel to and from Aberdeen pretty frequently on the P&O ferry that used to run up to Lerwick. That was over 30 years ago, but I do remember Aberdeen pretty well!
Sorry for late reply forgot all about this thread

Yeah a meet would be great. I was going to meet Gold Panda but the wife thought I would be imposing so did not bother him. Pity as it would have been good to meet someone from over the pond.

I love visiting America. Been to New York once and Orlando twice. Going to Orlando again this year. Cant wait. Just a big kid really.

I live 50 miles north of Aberdeen in a place called Banff. Quiet wee town nice and safe for the kids schooling. If we ever want to do anything it means a drive to Aberdeeen as there is nothing in banff. Can't have it all I suppose

I have never been to the shetlands but supposed to be very nice. Funny how you never visit the places close to where you live. You would notice a BIG difference now. The traffic in and around Aberdeen is mental. Gone are the days where you can just drive out and in. Just about anytime of the day there will be some sort of traffic jam.
Old 03-11-2009 | 06:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='798601' date='Feb 22 2009, 02:22 AM
Ah it's too bad you've already left or like swajames said, we would have loved to come out and give a genuine E60.net greeting and showed you around the area. I live about an hour from SF but I'm there about once a week for work and probably could have met up with you.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the experience and glad to see the rain didn't dampen your enjoyment. Also glad you and your wife got home safely.
Thanks for all your in put much appreciated. If I am out your way again I would deffo meet up. Most enjoyable country to visit. Now I wonder where we will go next year
Old 03-11-2009 | 06:47 PM
Contributors

It is so refreshing to see someone from another country visit and enjoy themselves. Americans view "foreigners" as viewing america as a horrible place (if that makes sense). It really isn't, and I for one am very happy you and your wife had a great time!