Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Regional Question: NJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009 | 11:46 AM
Members

Hey,
Sorry for the regional question but I could not find a 'regional discussion' thread. I'm new to BMW, CPO'd 530Xi - 2006. Very happy so far w/the car. Live in Northern Jersey. Previous car was tinted (probably 30% all around - orig owned in TX) and never had any issues regarding a ticket in prior 2 yrs of residency. A garage said they would have to fail inspection initially then relented only to fail it for emissions anyway...but I digress....., anyone here have tint on driver/passenger windows (against state guidelines) and if so, what level and have you received a ticket (knock on wood prior to answering please, don't want to jinx anyone).

Love the sapphire black car and want to tint but just feel like not doing the driver/passenger windows...what'd be the point.....thoughts?

thx in advance.
Old 02-18-2009 | 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

No tickets, but I do go by the letter of the law too!
Old 02-18-2009 | 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

wait im confused.. so it failed? or they said they'd fail it? you want the tint, but dont have it yet?.. another BUT-but your worried about it passing inspection? whew swear i re-read the post a few times.. please clarify...
Old 02-18-2009 | 08:05 PM
Contributors

Im confused aswell
Old 02-18-2009 | 08:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jfk92' post='796076' date='Feb 18 2009, 03:46 PM
Hey,
Sorry for the regional question but I could not find a 'regional discussion' thread. I'm new to BMW, CPO'd 530Xi - 2006. Very happy so far w/the car. Live in Northern Jersey. Previous car was tinted (probably 30% all around - orig owned in TX) and never had any issues regarding a ticket in prior 2 yrs of residency. A garage said they would have to fail inspection initially then relented only to fail it for emissions anyway...but I digress....., anyone here have tint on driver/passenger windows (against state guidelines) and if so, what level and have you received a ticket (knock on wood prior to answering please, don't want to jinx anyone).

Love the sapphire black car and want to tint but just feel like not doing the driver/passenger windows...what'd be the point.....thoughts?

thx in advance.
NJ Motor Vehicle Code forbids any aftermarket tint applied to the either side front window or windshield. That comes directly from a NJ municipal police officer in my neighborhood who has his Cadillac Escalade with ALL windows dark tinted AND dark smoke covers obscuring front and rear license plates.

Soooooo I guess it depends on who you are!

Here are the guidelines>

HOW DARK CAN AFTER-MARKET WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Windshield: No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows: No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows: No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows: No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER NEW JERSEY RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors: No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors: Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Medical Exemption: State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law. (They call it "sun-guard")
Old 02-19-2009 | 03:18 AM
Members

Im in Brooklyn.. Have a Saphhire Black E60 with Black Leather 5% on the side windows and 35% tint on the windshield... in Staten Island they bother me all the time.... they are really strict on tints there and the cops have nothing better to do especially on hylan blvd.....if you want to stay out of trouble keep the tint at 35% or higher... i get bothered a good amount but my cuzin is pretty high up in the police department and I always have his badge with me so I usually get out of it... also be sure to roll the windows down when/if you get stopped and you'll be fine...get the tint.. its worth the trouble
Old 02-19-2009 | 07:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by melimel' post='796364' date='Feb 18 2009, 11:30 PM
wait im confused.. so it failed? or they said they'd fail it? you want the tint, but dont have it yet?.. another BUT-but your worried about it passing inspection? whew swear i re-read the post a few times.. please clarify...
hey I'm sorry...I confuse myself at times.

my 'previous' car (Audi A6) was the one that the mechanic indicated would fail b/c of the tint...then relented and did the inspection, only to fail the car anyway on emissions (bad CAT's and O2 sensors)....

my 'current' car (new to me) has no tint but I want to tint it, just on the fence over the law limits in NJ regarding the non allowance of driver/passenger side windows to have 'any' tint...
Old 02-19-2009 | 07:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pattyd2323' post='796571' date='Feb 19 2009, 07:18 AM
Im in Brooklyn.. Have a Saphhire Black E60 with Black Leather 5% on the side windows and 35% tint on the windshield... in Staten Island they bother me all the time.... they are really strict on tints there and the cops have nothing better to do especially on hylan blvd.....if you want to stay out of trouble keep the tint at 35% or higher... i get bothered a good amount but my cuzin is pretty high up in the police department and I always have his badge with me so I usually get out of it... also be sure to roll the windows down when/if you get stopped and you'll be fine...get the tint.. its worth the trouble
wow...now you definitely roll 'anonymously' in that car...I bet it looks nasty. perhaps post a picture? (I'll have to check your gallery). I'm thinking I'm going to get the tint done, 35% all windows (except windshield for me)...that way in daylight it's a light relief from sun and not enough to get bothered by the police for. and at twilight it's completely dark...don't think I'm going to do 20% on the rear and back windows w/a lighter shade on fronts.....