Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Question for Mac users...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by kscarrol
swa,

just to clarify before I open the box on the Windows 7, your suggestion about the Unity mode sounds like I don't need 7 at all. Am I reading that correctly? Or do I still need to load Windows 7 but can then run Windows apps under the Unity mode? Thanks for the guidance!
Ken, you do need Windows 7. Fusion just lets you run it from within Mac OS X (and Unity mode makes it even easier as Fusion knows when to step in and handle the Windows apps or when to leave well alone and let OS X do its job). Best way to describe Unity mode is that you have a machine that is simultaneously both a Mac and a PC and it doesn't matter which OS the program you want to run was actuallu written for. If you need anything else just post back (there are a fair few Mac users on here!) or drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Don't forget that Fusion will also let you run Windows 7 concurrently to Mac OS X and this works very well too. The difference with Unity is that programs run within their own window (as opposed to having to run within the master Windows 7 window).

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by swajames
Ken, you do need Windows 7. Fusion just lets you run it from within Mac OS X (and Unity mode makes it even easier as Fusion knows when to step in and handle the Windows apps or when to leave well alone and let OS X do its job). Best way to describe Unity mode is that you have a machine that is simultaneously both a Mac and a PC and it doesn't matter which OS the program you want to run was actuallu written for. If you need anything else just post back (there are a fair few Mac users on here!) or drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Don't forget that Fusion will also let you run Windows 7 concurrently to Mac OS X and this works very well too. The difference with Unity is that programs run within their own window (as opposed to having to run within the master Windows 7 window).

Good luck!
OK, I really appreciate the help. But I must say the process is off to a bad start. Loaded the VMWare Fusion 3 (bought at the Apple store) and when it asks for the serial #, the "s" key on my keyboard won't work! And of course the third letter of the serial # is "s". It's not the keyboard, if I switch to any other program, Safari, Word etc, the "s" works fine. Guess I will try to uninstall and go again, otherwise I'm headed back to the Apple store in the morning...
Old 01-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Contributors

Oh well, uninstall and reinstall did not work. Same issue with the "s" key... Back to the Apple store tomorrow, very strange issue...
Old 01-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Are you going to run Bootcamp, Ken? If you install Windows 7 using Bootcamp you can have Fusion use your Bootcamp partition as the virtual machine. It's the best of both worlds. If you don't you'll have to install Win 7 as a new VM in Fusion. Might be an idea to go the Bootcamp route anyway, sometimes it's just easier to boot up the machine straight into Windows (NB Apple has just released the "official" version of Bootcamp for Win 7).

Sorry to hear about your issues - hope you can get it resolved tomorrow. Obvious question but have you tried using a different keyboard (assuming you're not using a laptop)?

Good luck and do keep us posted. When it all works it's worth it, trust me!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by kscarrol
We have replaced our old Dell home computer with a new iMac. I still need Windows on some occasions for work applications so I need to load Windows. Being a small firm, our IT folks have little experience with Macs but they suggested I load Windows 7 (32-bit). My question is do I use Bootcamp or one of the virtualization programs? My main use would be to access an internet software package we use which seems to require Internet Explorer. I can access the website using Safari but the text editor in Safari is not compatible and I cannot type my reports for uploading. I suspect one of the virtualization options would be best so that I could toggle back and forth between Leopard and Windows but I was hoping for some insights. Thanks in advance!

Ken
If your concern is to have IE on your mac, then why not just install IE on your mac? You can also install Microsoft office for macs too. I have the office suite on my macbook and it works great!

Do you connect through SSL-VPN to get to your firm's server softwares?
Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AKAlius
If your concern is to have IE on your mac, then why not just install IE on your mac? You can also install Microsoft office for macs too. I have the office suite on my macbook and it works great!

Do you connect through SSL-VPN to get to your firm's server softwares?
IE on the Mac never made it beyond IE5, and it was deep-sixed way back in 2003. I'm with you on Office for Mac - it's really very good indeed!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
IE on the Mac never made it beyond IE5, and it was deep-sixed way back in 2003. I'm with you on Office for Mac - it's really very good indeed!
Yes, I have Office for the Mac so good to go there. Might try Bootcamp but can't can't get past the VM Fusion install without the damn "s" key. Folks at both the Apple store and the Mac guy at BestBuy said the VM was the way to go so tried that first. We'll see about boot camp tomorrow morning...
Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Members

I'm running Parallels 5, as I have paid for the latest Adobe Creative Suite (PC), and have a bunch of architectural software programs for the PC also. I can do RAM hungry projects this way, and you can adjust the performance (1 or 2 processors, RAM etc) to suit your needs.

It's not bad, runs great, and in P5 running the two together is called coherence. You have the full start bar accessible. I can drag and drop formatting from one program (eg word doc) and the formatting is retained in the destination program (eg mac email)

here is a screenshot showing PS4 (PC version) running in the mac in coherence.

Bootcamp will obviously run better because your entire system is devoted to what you need, but for your situation a VM should definitely do the business.

Cheers

J
Old 01-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Ummm just a question... Why don't you copy an "S" from somewhere and paste it in the license window? Plenty of s-es around here...
Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Mystery solved! And I must admit I feel a bit foolish. There is card included with several prominent numbers on them, one being a "product description" and the other being the serial number. As the card is laid out, it says VM Fusion followed by the words "product description" and then a long number followed by the words "serial number". Just down the page is another long number. Turns out that first number is the "production description and not the serial number!! I was entering the wrong number...

Quick Reply: Question for Mac users...