Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Question for anyone from California ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520i SE, 04, 18" 245s, Sapphire Black, Cream leather.

Hi, In October myself and the missus are going to California, flying to LAX and flying out of SFO.
She wants 5 days of sun and beach stuff and then I'ld like to get a car and drive up the coast to SFO and go to the Yosemite at some stage.
Is Santa Barbara a place to go or to be avoided or is there any nice beach town up the coast which would be better value.
I'm aware that there are places in Ireland on a "must stay list" but to be honest I woudl not stay there and instead would stay a few miles away and have a better holiday. I'm sure the same is true of everywhere.
Anyway, I know it's not a 100% car related topic, but I'll be renting from LAX and putting alot of miles in 2 weeks so it's sort of car related.

Budget for accomodation would be no more than about 175 dollars a night for a room. Some of those resorts look lovely but I need money for hot-dogs.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BigRevKev' post='655328' date='Aug 27 2008, 07:13 AM

Hi, In October myself and the missus are going to California, flying to LAX and flying out of SFO.
She wants 5 days of sun and beach stuff and then I'ld like to get a car and drive up the coast to SFO and go to the Yosemite at some stage.
Is Santa Barbara a place to go or to be avoided or is there any nice beach town up the coast which would be better value.
I'm aware that there are places in Ireland on a "must stay list" but to be honest I woudl not stay there and instead would stay a few miles away and have a better holiday. I'm sure the same is true of everywhere.
Anyway, I know it's not a 100% car related topic, but I'll be renting from LAX and putting alot of miles in 2 weeks so it's sort of car related.

Budget for accomodation would be no more than about 175 dollars a night for a room. Some of those resorts look lovely but I need money for hot-dogs.

Thanks

I live on the other side of the US but am in California often. I say don't make too many reservations (not needed in October really), rent a car and just start driving north on the Pacific Coast Highway and do as you please when you please without a set itinerary. There are so many beautiful places to see, great towns, shops, bars, etc. You'll love it!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

There are plenty of beautiful beach towns on the coast and Santa Barbara is definitely one of them. Some other places would be Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay..etc...going North. But also remember as you head north, the water gets colder. But you're also right that you don't have to go to any of these specific places to enjoy the hundreds of miles of beautiful California coastline/beaches.

As for hotels, sy1616 makes a good point but I would probably still make reservations just so I know exactly where to go to get settled and freshen up quickly to head out again and enjoy the area. Perhaps check out Expedia for discounted rates on hotel and area information.

Also, as the time approaches and you have your travel itinerary planned out, you should post it so maybe some of the local E60 members can get out to greet you when you're in their area. Some of us on this forum have made great friends that way.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='655359' date='Aug 27 2008, 06:20 AM
There are plenty of beautiful beach towns on the coast and Santa Barbara is definitely one of them. Some other places would be Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay..etc...going North. But also remember as you head north, the water gets colder. But you're also right that you don't have to go to any of these specific places to enjoy the hundreds of miles of beautiful California coastline/beaches.

As for hotels, sy1616 makes a good point but I would probably still make reservations just so I know exactly where to go to get settled and freshen up quickly to head out again and enjoy the area. Perhaps check out Expedia for discounted rates on hotel and area information.

Also, as the time approaches and you have your travel itinerary planned out, you should post it so maybe some of the local E60 members can get out to greet you when you're in their area. Some of us on this forum have made great friends that way.
I live in Sacramento, I concur ,the beaches in central cali are far superior to nor cal beaches, my recommendation would be to head to Lake Tahoe, the most beautiful lake any where. Prices for hotels are in your range. You will not be disappointed.

Peace
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Not much swimming north of Santa Barbara as the water is too cold for most. North of L.A. I like Morro Bay. It's quiet, cheap and they have local caught seafood restaurants that are cheap. Go to San Simeon for Hearst Castle - get tickets on line ahead of time. North of SFO, I really like Bodega Bay and south of there a bit is Tomales Bay. They grow monster oysters there that are barbecued and for sale everywhere. The whole coast is great, but I like those places best.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Don't go to that state. Too many weirdo's.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BigRevKev' post='655328' date='Aug 27 2008, 04:13 AM

Thanks
I may be partial since I am born and raised in Santa Barbara , but I spent 8 years in San Diego and everytime I came home to Santa Barbara I could not help but smile at my little piece of paradise. As far as hotels for around $175 a night, I would take a look at the Montecito Inn (which is in Montecito, a quaint village where all the celebrities live, close to the Santa Barbara Zoo, the Four Seasons Biltmore, and not far from the beach.) I would also consider the Hotel Santa Barbara which is right on State Street, our main shopping area, and walking distance from the wharf and beaches. Also check out Hotel Mar Monte. For about $245 a night you can stay at Hotel Oceana which is across the street from the beach downtown and closer to State Street than Hotel Mar Monte.

Other things to do or see: Sunday morning till noonish lots of arts and crafts vendors/artisans set-up shop along the waterfront; the wharf; the Old Santa Barbara Mission; shopping on State Street; the Santa Barbara Court House...

Hopefully you find some of this helpful as you make your decision. Santa Barbara is gorgeous and we like to call ourselves the American Riviera! Now, I would love to go to Ireland within the next couple years, so I may search you out for advice
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M6 Coupe Sapphire Black/Black Merino Loaded

Originally Posted by kali4nia58' post='655944' date='Aug 27 2008, 08:03 PM
I may be partial since I am born and raised in Santa Barbara

+1... representing Cottage Hospital!

Hard to beat Santa Barbara, I'd plan at least a full day there. Great restaurants all over the place, wonderful views from Stearns Wharf. A good time will be had by all
Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll chime in only to say Santa Barbara is fantastic and Lake Tahoe is breathtaking...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: stock non-sport alpine white '04 530i

venice beachhhhhhhhhhh

of course the 17 mile drive is a good place to cruise around

Quick Reply: Question for anyone from California ...