Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Playing around with Nikon Capture NX

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006 | 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Nikon put the "demo" up for download today. Been reprocessing some old stuff - made these two while toying with some of the bells and whistles...
Attached Thumbnails Playing around with Nikon Capture NX-img42_2.jpg   Playing around with Nikon Capture NX-img20_3.jpg  
Old 07-07-2006 | 08:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Good stuff!
Old 07-07-2006 | 09:07 PM
Senior Members

Nice shots. How do you like Nikon Capture NX compared to Nikon Capture? I was about to un-install NC from my desktop in favor of Adobe Lightroom. Is Nikon Capture NX worth it?
Old 07-08-2006 | 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='308182' date='Jul 8 2006, 01:07 AM
Nice shots. How do you like Nikon Capture NX compared to Nikon Capture? I was about to un-install NC from my desktop in favor of Adobe Lightroom. Is Nikon Capture NX worth it?

Well...

The forums over at DPReview are showing markedly slower batch processing on both high end Macs and PCs. My own testing on my OC'd A64 rig confirms. It's a bit buggy and has an unfinished feel to it. If either of those things would bug you, then probably not best to buy a 1.0 product. I doubt I'll purchase it when the trial is over.

It runs plenty fast enough, but again, my PC is pretty beefy. My laptop, which could run NC just fine pretty much chokes on it. It will do ok for most of the actions, but occasionally really gets into trouble. It bluescreened due to a paging error.

I like the new tools, and so far I'm having fun with the demo. I never had the patience to do a lot of masking and stuff inside Photoshop, so for me it's really useful. People who know their way around Photoshop and mask a lot already seem to think it's a step backwards for them. In my mind, it's a disruptive innovation - putting more functionality in less capable hands for less money (but not satisfying the power user).

I'd suggest playing with the demo, but ultimately I think that it will prove to be a novelty item - at least for the next couple of versions.

Adobe's recent purchase of the RawShooter engine for integration into Lightroom means that Lightroom will be an absolutely first class RAW conversion utility - which at the end of the day trumps pretty much any other metric by which to judge this new class of photo editing tools. I think feature and gimmick-wise, they'll likely be very similar.

Try it out though, I've been having a bit of fun with it.