Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Pictures of Space from Earth

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!!

I love looking at the stars, I don't EVER get to see them because where I live and everywhere I travel to for business is swamped with light for miles.

Last weekend I took a drive out to the river and on the way there I opened my sunroof....I almost ran off the road it was so insanely brilliant.

I really like your pictures, have you been able to locate/photograph Mars? I know you couldn't get close ups, but seeing it in the sky would be super cool.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow!!! Thanks for sharing
Old 12-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Another wow here!! Thats amazing!! Great Pic definitely
Shame we cant see this kind of sky here in HK :thumbsdown:
Old 12-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Nice ... very nice ...

What set-up did you use - DSLR thru telescope?? Do you think a long lens at high res and careful work in photoshop would work? I usually point my lens horizontally for other heavenly bodies !

But since we're out in the country and away from bright city lights and I might just try a few shots pointed upward when we have a clear night!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Another wow from me. Are they real or photoshop'd, especially the first one?

Charlotte, NC isn't good for star viewing but I can get out in the country some times for a better view.

The most amazing site ever was at a church camp in the middle of nowhere in West Virginia. At the top of the hill, we had a 360 degree view horizon to horizon. The moon was a sliver, there where no clouds, and stars filled the skies. I bet 10,000s with the naked eye. It was a religious experience seeing the heavens like that. Unfortunately nobody had a good camera to capture it. I had never seen anything like that before or since.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Thats very impressive . Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Members

Thanks everyone!

All those were taken a DSLR attached directly to the telescope. The equipment is on a mount that 'tracks' the stars, to compensate for the Earth's rotation. If you tried these without a mount you would get trails instead of pinpoint stars.

I actually took these all from a city centre where I live, the sky is orange and you can see very few stars with the naked eye. This means that I have to spend more time to remove the orange glow from the photos after they are taken. I can only imagine how these photos would look if taken from a dark sight out of the city.

Here is one of Mars that I took. I was especially impressed with this one as you can see the polar ice caps as well as the dark desert regions. This image of Mars was taken with a Philips Webcam (!) attached to the telescope and not the DSLR. Now that's ingenuity!

Here are ones of Saturn and Jupiter too, all taken with a humble Philips ToUCam webcam!

Adam

Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Contributors

WOW
Old 12-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Awesome shots mate!! WOW!!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by star_man' post='753629' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone!

All those were taken a DSLR attached directly to the telescope. The equipment is on a mount that 'tracks' the stars, to compensate for the Earth's rotation. If you tried these without a mount you would get trails instead of pinpoint stars.

I actually took these all from a city centre where I live, the sky is orange and you can see very few stars with the naked eye. This means that I have to spend more time to remove the orange glow from the photos after they are taken. I can only imagine how these photos would look if taken from a dark sight out of the city.

Here is one of Mars that I took. I was especially impressed with this one as you can see the polar ice caps as well as the dark desert regions. This image of Mars was taken with a Philips Webcam (!) attached to the telescope and not the DSLR. Now that's ingenuity!

Here are ones of Saturn and Jupiter too, all taken with a humble Philips ToUCam webcam!

Adam

Quick Reply: Pictures of Space from Earth