Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Opinon about Red Light Camera/Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I am 100% against the red light camera/video enforcement in Texas. It is, in short, unconstitutional to deemed a driver guilty when the camera system "assume" that the owner of the car at the time of infraction was in fact the driver. It is unconstitutional to put the burden of proof on the driver to prove his/her innocence.

For states that take pictures of the drivers like California, how do you guys fight it?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

I am on your team and so is the Minnesota and Ohio supreme courts. Red light camera's were deemed unconstitutional in both states. Good Luck!

Perhaps this information will help you. Laws of course differ fro state to state.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/16/1688.asp

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/13/1356.asp

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/10/1014.asp

"Regardless of whether petty misdemeanors are considered to be "crimes" under the criminal code, the rules of criminal procedure specifically apply to petty misdemeanors. Minn. R. Crim. P. 1.01. And those rules require that a defendant be "presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt." Minn. R. Crim. P. 23.05, subd. 3. Thus, in any prosecution under the Act, the state has the burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the owner was driving at the time of the red-light offense, and the owner has no obligation to prove anything."
Old 10-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='700790' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:03 AM
I am on your team and so is the Minnesota and Ohio supreme courts. Red light camera's were deemed unconstitutional in both states. Good Luck!

Perhaps this information will help you. Laws of course differ fro state to state.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/16/1688.asp

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/13/1356.asp

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/10/1014.asp

"Regardless of whether petty misdemeanors are considered to be "crimes" under the criminal code, the rules of criminal procedure specifically apply to petty misdemeanors. Minn. R. Crim. P. 1.01. And those rules require that a defendant be "presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt." Minn. R. Crim. P. 23.05, subd. 3. Thus, in any prosecution under the Act, the state has the burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the owner was driving at the time of the red-light offense, and the owner has no obligation to prove anything."
Thank you for the link. Below is a link to the Texas House of Representative Research Committee that includes other States' stands on automated red light camera.

http://www.hro.house.state.tx.us/foc...light79-15.pdf
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/17/1754.asp

The cities are needing more revenue as the downturn in the economy, so these for profit companies are making it easier and easier for you to be caught on camera/video with shorter yellow light, and 10ths of a second from the Stop Line.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='700776' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:37 PM
For states that take pictures of the drivers like California, how do you guys fight it?
Don't put your plates on
Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I don't run red lights!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='701459' date='Oct 23 2008, 03:04 PM
I don't run red lights!
It is not about running red light!!

No one intends to run red light unless they are drunk. It's those intersections where the yellow light is shorter than the required posted speed limit. It's also about the companies that try to make money by exploiting the 10ths of a second one's car passes an intersection with a red light. For example, at 35 mph, your car is traveling 5.333 feet per 1/10th of a second. That's about 51.33 feet per second. If your car is short of the stop line 5 feet when the lights turn red, you are caught!! You have have passed the red light line by 1/10th of a second.

Now, get this. The majority of the traffic light accidents are ones that occur when the faulted party passes the intersection a full 2 seconds AFTER the light turned red. In other words, going back to the scenario above, you have travelled about 120 ((51x2)+20 ft)feet passed from the intersection and not cause an accident despite that you where 1/10th of a second late from entering the intersection at a red light. With the camera, it's like having an A__hole cop who woke up on the wrong side of the bed. But if an officer gives you a citation, it is crimminal. The camera is civil and unconstitutional.

The camera companies try to tell you that you can only submit a notice of non-liability if you are in the business of renting or leasing vehicle. COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

Call or read the City Ordinance, and you will find out that you do not have to contest and get a court date. You do have to fill out the Notice of Non-liability form, explain that you were not the driver at the time and name the driver and his/her address. It could have been your friend from German what was drving at the time. Notarize it, mail it in, and confirm with the city (officer in charge) that they received it. Read the city's ordinance regarding red light camera, and speak to someone at the city that can interpret it. You'll find that they CANNOT and DO NOT have the right to fine you based on evidence that the vehicle you own was in violation. The point is find the guilty party, and guilty by association, in this case DOES NOT fly. Nor does deemed guility or burden of proof lies on the defendant fly either. Red light camera, unless backed by state laws, and assuming it does not conflict with federal laws, is a JOKE and a profit making business robbing safe drivers for tax revenue purpose.

Now who is going to spend all that time for a refute $75.00 fine in Texas? Apparently, they found a sweet spot because 70% of Houstonians are paying the fines.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='701311' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:12 PM
Don't put your plates on
My front once feel off; or the dealer just put a new front bumper on and forget to attach the front plates. For some reason, my rear plates are still there.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

A friend of mine fought her ticket she got in BH (beverly hills) about 2 yrs ago. She went out and timed the interval's between the green to red on stop lights: 3 lights before and 3 lights after the camera intersection (the 3 before and 3 after did not have camera's). She found that the interval on the camera intersection was faster...they threw the ticket out and fixed the interval....
Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

how we do it here in cali,
1. I pay the fine
2. don't run the red light
or there this spray that you can buy, but i don't advise you to do it , but its amazing that you could still buy those sprays for the plates to be photo invincible heres the link

http://www.invisibleplate.com/print_latimes.html
Old 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by euro2nv' post='701603' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:47 PM
how we do it here in cali,
1. I pay the fine
2. don't run the red light
or there this spray that you can buy, but i don't advise you to do it , but its amazing that you could still buy those sprays for the plates to be photo invincible heres the link

http://www.invisibleplate.com/print_latimes.html
Save your money - the spray doesn't work ... buy and install stolen plates instead ...

Quick Reply: Opinon about Red Light Camera/Video