Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Open Letter To JSpira......

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I met Jonathan at the BMW VPC Tour which I believe he organized. I know that I speak for most of us when I say that his posts are always well written and informative. However, I would love to know what he does for a living. I think it's something to do with BMW or with BMWCCA or perhaps both. I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems like outside of the guy who oils the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Team models, he may just have the coolest job on the planet. So, my old friend, what exactly is it that you do??
Old 04-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='564609' date='Apr 20 2008, 10:22 AM
I met Jonathan at the BMW VPC Tour which I believe he organized. I know that I speak for most of us when I say that his posts are always well written and informative.
+1
Old 04-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Jonathan will surely chime in eventually and fill in some of the gaps as it pertains to BMW but until then, the following link will give you an idea of one of the hats that Jonathan wears:
http://www.basex.com/web/tbghome.nsf/pages/management
Old 04-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Knowing how and where to look is more powerful than merely "knowing"!

http://stores.lulu.com/jspira

Or is it a facade for what Jonathan "really does"!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

Jeff et al

I'm flattered than people are interested in what I do and I do think I have one of the coolest jobs in the wolrd but it's not really BMW related per se.

Essentially, I'm a researcher, also known as an industry analyst. I spend my time happily researching what we call "knowledge economy" issues and challenges, namely how are larger organizations moving into the information age (no, they're not there yet). I get to meet a lot of really smart and interesting people in all walks of life.

While the workforce has changed dramatically and quickly (knowledge workers represent a plurality of the workforce in the U.S. whereas 25 years ago, industrial workers were the majority and 100 years ago 95% of the workforce was agrarian), the management science that's applied is really that which made sense for the industrial age.

We look at issues of knowledge sharing and collaboration, issues which are particularly relevant for companies that have between 1,000 and as many as 400,000 employees. They need to ensure that they connect the dots between people who might be working on similar projects or who could share valuable knowledge.

If anyone is interested, we offer a free weekly newsletter covering news and innovation in the space. My book,
Managing the Knowledge Workforce, Managing the Knowledge Workforce,
also has lots of relevant info.

On the side, I have this burgeoning "slash-career" of automotive journalism, writing for the BMW Club about BMW technology and, for Business Traveler magazine, about new and exciting cars that I get to test drive.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Very cool! Thats very interesting... I just finished taking a course on pretty much what you research, IS/IT and how companies need to connect the dots with all their projects and take advantage of the knowledge. I should have turned to you for ideas and help!!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Pretty cool....thanx for sharing...
Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

JS, thank you for the link to your newsletter,I'm sure it will have insightful ideas and information that some of us will find applicable to (some of) our daily responsibilities .........aside from the E60 forums that is
Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='564725' date='Apr 20 2008, 03:12 PM
Very cool! Thats very interesting... I just finished taking a course on pretty much what you research, IS/IT and how companies need to connect the dots with all their projects and take advantage of the knowledge. I should have turned to you for ideas and help!!
Feel free in the future to do so.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='564764' date='Apr 20 2008, 04:23 PM
JS, thank you for the link to your newsletter,I'm sure it will have insightful ideas and information that some of us will find applicable to (some of) our daily responsibilities .........aside from the E60 forums that is
Some of us have daily responsibilities aside from E60.net?? Ohhhhhhh, you mean like Bimmerfest. Oh okay

Quick Reply: Open Letter To JSpira......