Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Obama Grants BP Exemption

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obama administration gave BP an exemption from enviornmental compliance standards a year before and 11 days before the oil rig exploded. What a shame.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050404118.html
Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Huh? I know, what's the worst that could happen eh?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Contributors

pure insanity...could you imagine the backlash if this was the former admin and this had been found out??? unacceptable hipocracy of our politics and media
Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Contributors

randy.prescott@bp.com

tell the ceo what you think
Old 05-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Really?

Originally Posted by m630
pure insanity...could you imagine the backlash if this was the former admin and this had been found out??? unacceptable hipocracy of our politics and media
- in early 2001 (not wasting any time), new incentives were provided for shallow water producers (i.e. something easier to do). Gale Horton did put a threshhold limit, but it was then seen as an extremely high prices (5$/mbtu limit, compared to the 2-3$/mbtu wholesale price then prevalent in the North American market). And in 2004, when gas prices had increased, the threshhold level was also increased, to an extravagant 9.34$/mbtu;

- in 2003, the oil industry successfully sued the administration about an interpretation of the law: the volume limit was deemed to apply per lease, and not per hydrocarbon field. Knowing that you typically have 3 leases per field, that decision immediately tripled the cost in lost royalties. Now the Bush administration cannot be blamed for the poorly worded 1995 law, but it then did nothing to change it

As I have said, no matter who we elect nothing really changes. All politicians are whores for lobbyists, irregardless of party affiliation.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributors

yeah thats the point, this was supposed to be a new era and its just politics as usual. This president will go down as nothing special other than his mixed heritage. The left and the right are equal in their greed and contempt for the American people and its no excuse to say that the right does it too or did the same in the past, this was supposed to be the Left march to equality for all, not just another version of the so called right.

If you heard the president yesterday it was laughable at his remarks as to who is in control, its definitely not him nor his administration. Why isnt anyone screaming to ask why it took more than 5 weeks to execute this 'top kill'??? This disaster is already estimated conservatively (no pun) as twice as much oil as the Exxon Valdez, to a worse case scenerio of perhaps nearly 4 times as much oil spilled. If this top kill works, and we all should be praying that it does, why didnt we do this week 1 or week 2 or week 3? Perhaps the admin was protecting BP as its large contributor that they are, and they were trying to still save the WELL! That is the only reason that can be inferred. They were trying to save their investment and the oil with all that bs to try syphin the oil to a ship above. They wasted weeks with that BS while the oil was flowing 24/7 at massively underestimated volumes and destroying our coastline and untold peoples lives. They could have done this after they put out the fire and saved the crew but they didnt and the President needs to answer for that.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m630
yeah thats the point, this was supposed to be a new era and its just politics as usual. This president will go down as nothing special other than his mixed heritage. The left and the right are equal in their greed and contempt for the American people and its no excuse to say that the right does it too or did the same in the past, this was supposed to be the Left march to equality for all, not just another version of the so called right.

If you heard the president yesterday it was laughable at his remarks as to who is in control, its definitely not him nor his administration. Why isnt anyone screaming to ask why it took more than 5 weeks to execute this 'top kill'??? This disaster is already estimated conservatively (no pun) as twice as much oil as the Exxon Valdez, to a worse case scenerio of perhaps nearly 4 times as much oil spilled. If this top kill works, and we all should be praying that it does, why didnt we do this week 1 or week 2 or week 3? Perhaps the admin was protecting BP as its large contributor that they are, and they were trying to still save the WELL! That is the only reason that can be inferred. They were trying to save their investment and the oil with all that bs to try syphin the oil to a ship above. They wasted weeks with that BS while the oil was flowing 24/7 at massively underestimated volumes and destroying our coastline and untold peoples lives. They could have done this after they put out the fire and saved the crew but they didnt and the President needs to answer for that.

Basically agree with everything you said. BP should be held COMPLETELY accountable for the disaster and the damage caused to the shores of the Gulf States. This is ridiculous.
The problem is that since lobbying is so strong, nothing will probably be done to them. They have BOTH Dems and Reps in their pockets, they contribute heavily to whichever candidate appears most likely to win.
FINALLY!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Really?

- in early 2001 (not wasting any time), new incentives were provided for shallow water producers (i.e. something easier to do). Gale Horton did put a threshhold limit, but it was then seen as an extremely high prices (5$/mbtu limit, compared to the 2-3$/mbtu wholesale price then prevalent in the North American market). And in 2004, when gas prices had increased, the threshhold level was also increased, to an extravagant 9.34$/mbtu;

- in 2003, the oil industry successfully sued the administration about an interpretation of the law: the volume limit was deemed to apply per lease, and not per hydrocarbon field. Knowing that you typically have 3 leases per field, that decision immediately tripled the cost in lost royalties. Now the Bush administration cannot be blamed for the poorly worded 1995 law, but it then did nothing to change it

As I have said, no matter who we elect nothing really changes. All politicians are whores for lobbyists, irregardless of party affiliation.
Interesting how the leftwing refuses to criticize Obama for granting BP the Exemption but immediately starts to criticize Bush. And although the writer should have known that lefty Bill Clinton signed that 1995 law- he couldn't bring himself to say it but rather had to mention Bush. Wow! The liberal bias is so strong it sure clouds one's vision, doesn't it?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GregBrand
Interesting how the leftwing refuses to criticize Obama for granting BP the Exemption but immediately starts to criticize Bush. And although the writer should have known that lefty Bill Clinton signed that 1995 law- he couldn't bring himself to say it but rather had to mention Bush. Wow! The liberal bias is so strong it sure clouds one's vision, doesn't it?

Are you literate? Really? Do you read the whole post? What was left leaning about that posting? When the general theme was: The more things change the more they stay the same. Please step into the real world Greg, reality called - it's for you
Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pjinca
All politicians are whores for lobbyists, irregardless of party affiliation.
Not me...

Not yet...

That's probably why I am still where/who I am...

Quick Reply: Obama Grants BP Exemption