Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

New Way to Steal Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i

Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Show me the dealer that gives out new keys by only having a VIN without any ID's.

Also, it takes a while until the dealer gets the new key.

No panic...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

What an idiot that reporter was. First of all, did he really need to use that silly laser pointer to show us something his finger could have easily pointed out? Second of all, his solution of a magazine to cover the VIN? Please! Even he sort of wrote that one off and changed to the index card. Then, the stupid electrical tape idea that "doesn't leave a film," whatever that means. I can just see the black, sticky residue that will be all over the glass and/or dash after that tape sits in the sun for a while...

Finally, as Iceman points out -- few (if any) car dealers are going to make you a key without verification of ownership. Any good reporter would have at least tried to get a key made to prove that this process could be done.

If anyone is worried about car theft, I know it's a repost but take a look at this video of a gadget that can decode a BMW lock and allow a key to be "made" on the spot. (The first minute or so is in German but the rest of the video is in English)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50438141762214

The good news is that BMW is shifting away from the mechanical key to start the car. Then again, maybe that's bad news when someone figures out a way to hack the electronic key...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

1st off....that guy looks like somoen who would do that,

2nd...this isn't new technology, you could have done that a long time ago,

3rd of all, I don't think a car thief is going to go and get a vin so he can get a key made. People have been watching gone is 60 sec. a little too much
Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributors

I was under the impression that you could only have a copy of your key made if you would provide ID and registration of the Vehicle ?

Wauw they way they describe it it's the easiest thing in the world to do making a copy of they key and steal your car.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 5er Sport' post='492905' date='Nov 11 2007, 12:21 PM
I was under the impression that you could only have a copy of your key made if you would provide ID and registration of the Vehicle ?

Wauw they way they describe it it's the easiest thing in the world to do making a copy of they key and steal your car.
Yeah, and the news station probably ran promos for a week telling people about this exclusive report that explains how vulnerable your car is to thieves and how to protect yourself...
Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='492887' date='Nov 11 2007, 08:03 PM
What an idiot that reporter was. First of all, did he really need to use that silly laser pointer to show us something his finger could have easily pointed out? Second of all, his solution of a magazine to cover the VIN? Please! Even he sort of wrote that one off and changed to the index card. Then, the stupid electrical tape idea that "doesn't leave a film," whatever that means. I can just see the black, sticky residue that will be all over the glass and/or dash after that tape sits in the sun for a while...

Finally, as Iceman points out -- few (if any) car dealers are going to make you a key without verification of ownership. Any good reporter would have at least tried to get a key made to prove that this process could be done.

If anyone is worried about car theft, I know it's a repost but take a look at this video of a gadget that can decode a BMW lock and allow a key to be "made" on the spot. (The first minute or so is in German but the rest of the video is in English)

The good news is that BMW is shifting away from the mechanical key to start the car. Then again, maybe that's bad news when someone figures out a way to hack the electronic key...
LOL Agree! What an idiot! AND might i say what ingenous solutions to such fictive problems. WOW! Are there many reporters like this there? Or only at that particular tv station?! The news presenter weren't that far off either....
Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='492887' date='Nov 11 2007, 11:03 AM

Don't hold back Rudy , Tell us how you really feel about his newscaster...... I'll bet you covered you VIN
Old 11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='493906' date='Nov 13 2007, 06:43 PM
Don't hold back Rudy , Tell us how you really feel about his newscaster...... I'll bet you covered you VIN
Yeah, I just duct taped a huge magazine I had lying around inside the car to the dashboard...
Old 11-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='493964' date='Nov 13 2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I just duct taped a huge magazine I had lying around inside the car to the dashboard...

Quick Reply: New Way to Steal Cars