Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Need Your Opinion Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009 | 02:08 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

I just got a phone call today from a company. Pretty big company. Has both bank and investment. I have been talking to the branch manager for the past few months ever since I left etrade ( REALLY HATED ETRADE!!!). I wanted the Investment Consultant position. Salary is not that appealing but bonus is nicely compensated. Did a phone interview and immediately had 2 interviews with 2 different branch managers. Both wanted to hire me until I met with the regional. The regional wanted to hire someone with more experience and he saw how many companies I went through within a year. Final decision, the regional hired someone else. Now, the branch manager called me and there's a Client Services position opened. Very laid back not much sales to do and salary is $45K with a crappy annual bonus. It could be a stepping stone to an investment consultant in the future since that specific branch needs one. Especially a chinese speaking representative.

Here's what I am thinking. $45K is barely anything and the bonus is probably at most $10K if you're lucky. I am really not sure if I should take this job. U see, I hate being on a schedule (I think most of you know that) and I like to wake up a little later (everyone who has called me realized that unless ur from california LOL). I want to expand what I am doing now since I have a lot more free time and I can also look for more opportunities for other businesses as well. But in this down market that supposedly should anytime turn back up, I can ride with it and possibly have a nice career. What should I do?
Old 12-29-2009 | 03:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='1081113' date='Dec 29 2009, 06:08 AM
I just got a phone call today from a company. Pretty big company. Has both bank and investment. I have been talking to the branch manager for the past few months ever since I left etrade ( REALLY HATED ETRADE!!!). I wanted the Investment Consultant position. Salary is not that appealing but bonus is nicely compensated. Did a phone interview and immediately had 2 interviews with 2 different branch managers. Both wanted to hire me until I met with the regional. The regional wanted to hire someone with more experience and he saw how many companies I went through within a year. Final decision, the regional hired someone else. Now, the branch manager called me and there's a Client Services position opened. Very laid back not much sales to do and salary is $45K with a crappy annual bonus. It could be a stepping stone to an investment consultant in the future since that specific branch needs one. Especially a chinese speaking representative.

Here's what I am thinking. $45K is barely anything and the bonus is probably at most $10K if you're lucky. I am really not sure if I should take this job. U see, I hate being on a schedule (I think most of you know that) and I like to wake up a little later (everyone who has called me realized that unless ur from california LOL). I want to expand what I am doing now since I have a lot more free time and I can also look for more opportunities for other businesses as well. But in this down market that supposedly should anytime turn back up, I can ride with it and possibly have a nice career. What should I do?
If there is nothing more appealing on your radar screen, I don't see a big downside in giving it a try. If you don't like it, you could always quit.
Old 12-29-2009 | 04:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Just take it man.. At this point for a lot of people, something is better than nothing... Especially for a nice investment company. Go for it man!
Old 12-29-2009 | 05:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

It doesn't sound like you NEED the job, so the question is do you really WANT the job?

Set some goals and a time limit to reach them before hand and try the job out. If it doesn't look like you can get what you want then quit.
Old 12-29-2009 | 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

is that what you were talking about last night? lol i was trying to keep up but i was trying to finish all my food too lol.... i think you should try it out... cant hurt like Scott said but at the same time i think you should do what your heart says, no risk no reward or bigger the risk bigger the reward? ...... either or im always here to help you =)
Old 12-29-2009 | 07:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

The $45K is just the starting point. Once they see you are a outstanding employee, the pay will surely rise. I guess the other thing is, if you are comfortable in what your doing now, do you want to add the extra burden of having a regular 9 to 5 job added in. Many factors to consider.

Question: How can someone live on $45K in the NYC area?
Old 12-29-2009 | 07:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

The downside to just taking the job and quitting if you don't like it is that you're going to make your resume even spottier than it is right now. As a hiring manager myself, I look for stability in a candidate and I'm sure I share the same view with a lot of folks out there.

So if you don't really need the job yet then hold out till you find something more fitting and see yourself committing to it for the long haul or if you do take this one, then commit to it so that you can progress to a higher position sooner.
Old 12-29-2009 | 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

I say do what you like to do and $$$ will follow. GL bro!
Old 12-29-2009 | 12:22 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the advice everyone

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1081124
Just take it man.. At this point for a lot of people, something is better than nothing... Especially for a nice investment company. Go for it man!
That's what I am thinking. The branch manager actually called me wanting me to go work for them

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1081147
is that what you were talking about last night? lol i was trying to keep up but i was trying to finish all my food too lol.... i think you should try it out... cant hurt like Scott said but at the same time i think you should do what your heart says, no risk no reward or bigger the risk bigger the reward? ...... either or im always here to help you =)
exactly...maybe I should dump my money into a hand car wash place in NYC which also sells lighting upgrades.
Old 12-29-2009 | 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stoic1' post='1081190
The downside to just taking the job and quitting if you don't like it is that you're going to make your resume even spottier than it is right now. As a hiring manager myself, I look for stability in a candidate and I'm sure I share the same view with a lot of folks out there.

So if you don't really need the job yet then hold out till you find something more fitting and see yourself committing to it for the long haul or if you do take this one, then commit to it so that you can progress to a higher position sooner.
I used to be a regional sales director and I know exactly what you mean so I dont want to jump the gun on this and end my options.

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='1081194' date='Dec 29 2009, 11:07 AM
I say do what you like to do and $$$ will follow. GL bro!
I like to buy different cars and drive different cars and modify each and every single car I ever own. $$$ will follow the cars and be washed away though.

Quick Reply: Need Your Opinion Everyone