Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

National BS Ceiling

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I've almost given up on the Daily Show after I went to the Rally to Restore Sanity last year, but this piece made me a believer again.

Now, if only we all stood up and told our elected officials "BULLSHIT WALKS!", we'd all be in much better position, as a country, economy and as citizens.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-july-18-2011/armadebtdon-2011---national-bulls--t-ceiling?xrs=share_copy

Can't embed the vid successfully, the link should be good though But if any mods want to help out, I'd sure appreciate it
Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny clip.

but really... stop giving a shit about politics. you are wasting your time and energy. Politicians in this country are good for one thing... satire for entertainment purposes. From the president local civic leaders. If you stop caring, as I have, your life will be more enjoyable. Just work, and pay your taxes without thinking about it, and enjoy your life and company of loved ones, because the only thing you can control is yourself, and the only thing you can influence is your immediate surroundings.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841
funny clip.

but really... stop giving a shit about politics. you are wasting your time and energy. Politicians in this country are good for one thing... satire for entertainment purposes. From the president local civic leaders. If you stop caring, as I have, your life will be more enjoyable. Just work, and pay your taxes without thinking about it, and enjoy your life and company of loved ones, because the only thing you can control is yourself, and the only thing you can influence is your immediate surroundings.
Still relatively fresh memories from Russia's default messing with that plan, bud. True though.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Craig has a point, all the false partisan bullshit is getting out of hand. Especially as it becomes more and more obvious that no matter who is in charge the only ones who benefit are the wealthy and the lobbyists. People have this ridiculous sense that your politicians work for you or reflect your views, when the reality is they reflect the views of whoever is quickest and most generous with a checkbook.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
Craig has a point, all the false partisan bullshit is getting out of hand. Especially as it becomes more and more obvious that no matter who is in charge the only ones who benefit are the wealthy and the lobbyists. People have this ridiculous sense that your politicians work for you or reflect your views, when the reality is they reflect the views of whoever is quickest and most generous with a checkbook.
Which is EXACTLY why I loved this piece. Please watch that video in the original post, that I linked, John
Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Which is EXACTLY why I loved this piece. Please watch that video in the original post, that I linked, John

I saw it and it's funny Vladdy, but after the humor the bitter taste is left. Realizing that it's actually true, politicians have given up on telling the truth and the media has not bothered to call them on their bullshit. Unfortunately Jon Stewart is not taken seriously as "main stream media", just as with Bill Maher - no matter how much truth they reveal not enough people listen.
Bill Maher had a good line in his monologue this past Friday where he says "Al Gore is taking this Global Warming hoax too far, it was 124 degrees in Minnesota this week". Who's going to see the truth behind the humor?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Contributors

I saw it and it's funny Vladdy, but after the humor the bitter taste is left. Realizing that it's actually true, politicians have given up on telling the truth and the media has not bothered to call them on their bullshit. Unfortunately Jon Stewart is not taken seriously as "main stream media", just as with Bill Maher - no matter how much truth they reveal not enough people listen.
Bill Maher had a good line in his monologue this past Friday where he says "Al Gore is taking this Global Warming hoax too far, it was 124 degrees in Minnesota this week". Who's going to see the truth behind the humor?
Honestly, I fully agree. I think both John Stewart and Bill Maher actually contribute to inaction by making serious problems seem funny. Also, since we're on the subject, I think Bill Maher is fucking idiot at best, but in reality my opinion of him is much worse. I never watch his program, and think he is a chauvinist with an agenda, that could be as bad as actually destabilizing the country. Honest. I really hate his program and anything he has to say - and I have watched a lot of his stuff, including movies and stand up. He is definitely NOT a good thing for America, or the world.

John Stewart - to me, the jury is still out. While I definitely see that his satire has a degrading effect on most people, who watch him, I have to respect him for being the only person in the media, who at least calls bullshit, where it's due.

In either case, waiting for the media to stand up for our rights, as citizens is about as ridiculous as expecting that oil would go down after invading Iraq. It just doesn't compute. Media is run by people who own the outlets. And let's face it, those people have no interest whatsoever in promoting welfare of ordinary citizens. It's easier to see how they are interested in promoting marijuana consumption, than to suppose that any media outlet is unbiased. Again, at least, in this case John Stewart and the Daily Show's writers and producers were at least willing to call it how it is. But what's the alternative? Civil unrest? God no! God forbid! Revolution? It will only make things worse. IMO the only way to start fixing things is to divorce money from politics, but that's not possible. So what then? I think we should not be afraid to call for impeachments of all the politicians - big and small - based on their lies. Forget about Anthony Weiner and his sexting - who gives a fuck?! People, there are politicians there, who are blatantly lying and cheating you out of your rights, and you worry about how big Weiner's dick is?! Well, then maybe it's fair that people like that get screwed. But then, what about those of us, who actually think? What about those of us, who expect to succeed on merit in business? How about the pricing of the market, upon which so many retirements depend? It's a huge clusterfuck, but keeping your head in the sand about it won't help. We did that back in the USSR, and guess what happened?! We got fucked. I remember when the value of our currency plummeted overnight, losing 90+% of it's buying power. That means that for every 100 we had, we could now buy less than 10-worth of stuff. Is that what it will take to wake up people? Is it better now in Russia? In some respects, Russian economy is one of the healthiest in the world now, but the regime is still far from truly democratic, most citizens aren't educated, and there's a marked promotion of McDonaldization all over - belly- and brain-fat wise. So I keep my mind engaged, I try to spread the word. That's the least I can do. And I keep praying that one day my fears will end up being completely false. I keep praying that my future kids can grow up in a country, where human rights and constitution are preserved by an honest political and enforcement systems. A world, where Daily Show is not the highest rated "news" program on TV - at least, not because every other news program lies more blatantly and without any shame at all. A world where, during an election, a citizen will not be forced to choose which of the candidates is better, of the two terrible ones, but a world, where all candidates are worthy of utmost respect, and the weight of choice rests on the fact that merits of either of the candidates are so high, that it is hard to tell which is better...

Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Contributors

LOL Vladdy, I fear you are delusional. Good and capable candidates don't run because, like most people, they have skeletons in the closet and are deathly afraid of them being exposed. Weiner is a perfect example, I have heard that he was a very good congressman actually, and now his career is ruined because he took pics of his cock? This is what we do to effective politicians, then it's no wonder we don;t attract the best and brightest to the task of governing.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Contributors

LOL Vladdy, I fear you are delusional. Good and capable candidates don't run because, like most people, they have skeletons in the closet and are deathly afraid of them being exposed. Weiner is a perfect example, I have heard that he was a very good congressman actually, and now his career is ruined because he took pics of his cock? This is what we do to effective politicians, then it's no wonder we don;t attract the best and brightest to the task of governing.

I have nothing to add. Except that I cannot LOL at this anymore - I got all serious and I'm really sad right now, bro...
Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I have nothing to add. Except that I cannot LOL at this anymore - I got all serious and I'm really sad right now, bro...

You and me both bro, you and me both. Fact is most people in this country are either stupid or lazy sheep. Reminds me of a time when I was in Grand Central, I was exiting and there was a huge line at the doors to leave. A bank of at least 20 doors and one was propped open so there was a huge line as people waited to exit through to one door that was opened. I looked at the other doors for a second then went for it, guess what? They were ALL open, but these fools rather make a line for the one door that was propped open for them.

Quick Reply: National BS Ceiling