Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

MS Outlook 2007 Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am running outlook '07 and when i delete an email from inbox, rather than disappearing into the deleted box, i get a line through the email and it stays in the inbox..which defeats the whole purpose of deletion! i want it deleted and into my deleted folder.

i've searched and i'm sure there's a simple option, but i can not find it.

thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='654274' date='Aug 25 2008, 08:35 PM
i am running outlook '07 and when i delete an email from inbox, rather than disappearing into the deleted box, i get a line through the email and it stays in the inbox..which defeats the whole purpose of deletion! i want it deleted and into my deleted folder.

i've searched and i'm sure there's a simple option, but i can not find it.

thanks in advance!
I'm guessing that the mailbox containing the message that you're trying to delete is being viewed in Outlook via IMAP. If so, Outlook marks the message for later deletion rather than actually trashing it at that point. To complete the deletion, you'll need to tell Outlook to "purge deleted messages". When you're reading mail from an IMAP server, I think the option will appear in the edit menu, if I remember correctly. Outlook will then reach out to the IMAP server and trigger the actual deletion of the messages that you previously marked for deletion.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='654307' date='Aug 25 2008, 09:40 PM
I'm guessing that the mailbox containing the message that you're trying to delete is being viewed in Outlook via IMAP. If so, Outlook marks the message for later deletion rather than actually trashing it at that point. To complete the deletion, you'll need to tell Outlook to "purge deleted messages" (when you're reading mail from an IMAP server, I think the option will appear in the edit menu, if I remember correctly) and Outlook will then reach out and trigger the actual deletion of the messages that you previously marked for deletion.
yes, it is IMPA....AOL to be exact. i originally had this email address linked via POP3 to the main inbox "private folders", but it would not show my AOL spam folder. thus, i had to add itvia IMAP to get the spam folder to show.

for some reason, i get a handful of emails send to my spam so i need to have access via outlook. otherwise, i had to open up AOL to get to my spam folder. is there a way to add my AOL spam folder via POP3?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='654309' date='Aug 25 2008, 09:45 PM
yes, it is IMPA....AOL to be exact. i originally had this email address linked via POP3 to the main inbox "private folders", but it would not show my AOL spam folder. thus, i had to add itvia IMAP to get the spam folder to show.

for some reason, i get a handful of emails send to my spam so i need to have access via outlook. otherwise, i had to open up AOL to get to my spam folder. is there a way to add my AOL spam folder via POP3?
You'll need to subscribe to the IMAP folder to be able to view its sub-folders such as the junk/spam folder. After you've selected the main IMAP folder (i.e. your AOL inbox), click on IMAP folders from the tools menu. Click on query, then browse the available sub-folders and choose the folders that you are interested in (i.e. your junk mail). Click on subscribe, and you should be all set.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='654310' date='Aug 25 2008, 09:54 PM
You'll need to subscribe to the IMAP folder to be able to view its sub-folders such as the junk/spam folder. After you've selected the main IMAP folder (i.e. your AOL inbox), click on IMAP folders from the tools menu. Click on query, then browse the available sub-folders and choose the folders that you are interested in (i.e. your junk mail). Click on subscribe, and you should be all set.
yes, when the email is added as IMAP then the spam folder i want is there. but i want to use the personal folder and have access to my AOL spam folder.

i tried your suggestion and it will not allow me to add my spam folder under personal folders.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='654318' date='Aug 25 2008, 10:21 PM
yes, when the email is added as IMAP then the spam folder i want is there. but i want to use the personal folder and have access to my AOL spam folder.

i tried your suggestion and it will not allow me to add my spam folder under personal folders.
Hmmm. Maybe you could create an outlook rule to copy new messages from your IMAP spam subfolder to a personal folder?