Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Motorola Droid on Verizon Wireless -- Any Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1092259' date='Jan 17 2010, 07:39 AM
Well as much as I like my Blackberry Bold for emailing, its web brower pretty much sucks. Iphone is not an option as I live in NYC where AT&T's voice network stinks. To me, there's no better cell phone network in NYC than Verizon. Given this, I am thinking about getting a Droid and using it as my phone and web browser. At $199 with a 2 year contract, the price is right as I am not leaving Verizon Wireless as my cell phone provider (I've tried the others here in NYC over the years and to me, none of the others measures up).

Does anyone have any reviews of/experiences with the Droid? It has received extremely positive reviews from the media and technology websites (I've done my research and read lots of the reviews).
The Android OS is a great OS for games/multimedia. Its not secure hence why its open source. You can't get corporate emails on it. From what I have heard the Motorola Droid has many problems with battery/interface.

Not worth it for me I just got the storm.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Look into the HTC eris. Awesome phone.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by aretardedorange' post='1092361' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:00 PM
The Android OS is a great OS for games/multimedia. Its not secure hence why its open source. You can't get corporate emails on it. From what I have heard the Motorola Droid has many problems with battery/interface.

Not worth it for me I just got the storm.
Yes I am keeping the Blackberry Bold for work-related emails. You can't beat the BB Bold's keyboard and email capabilities which, among other things, allow me to get emails from my work email folders and subfolders -- a capability that, according to the reviews, the Droid lacks.

I'm really just interested in tthe Droid as a web brower and phone and it fares very well in the reviews for those capabilities.

The BB Bold's web browser is so limited that pages on this site with HDR photos won't open and I can't see posts by users with complex avatars such as luigi.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1092289' date='Jan 17 2010, 09:59 AM
Verizon is just as bad - it all depends where you live, and Verizon's data network is nowhere near as good as they make out in their commercials. Verizon also has a history of crippling device capabilities to the extent that phone features compromise its revenue stream. The other thing - and it is an important one- is that if you look at the statistics on mobile web browsing, the traffic is massively skewed to the iPhone. Verizon's network simply doesn't have to deal with the things that AT&Ts does, because Verizon doesn't carry the device that people are using the most for mobile browsing. Verizon gets a free pass, largely because it doesn't have to deal with the 800lb gorilla - you're not comparing apples to oranges today. Assuming the iPhone does make it to Verizon, you may find NYC's coverage isn't quite as good as it may be today... Not to say that AT&T shouldn't address their SF and NYC issues, but be careful what you wish for...
For voice service in NYC, Verizon is rated the tops and AT&T is rated as the worst. Based on my own personal experience having cell phones on both networks (including having AT&T pre-iPhone), I agree with those ratings. I can't speak for Verizon's data network but I do think that AT&T data network work pretty damn fast on my BB. But in terms of voice service in New York City, I would not use AT&T even if it was free given its poor reception, dropped calls and holes in the network. Verizon almost never drops a call in NYC.

I agree with you the Verizon, in the past, has been notorious with crippling the features of smart phones in order to force customers to pay extra for its often crappy extra services. Thanks to the magic of competition from the iPhone, Verizon had not made the same mistake with the Droid and seems to have left its capabilities intact, including allowing the Droid"s free turn by turn GPS system powered by Google Map to run -- even though Verizon charges $10 per month for its own VZ NavIgator service. I love competition.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I've had phones on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. I have to agree with Scott. There is no equal to Verizon's service. I had the AT&T service before the Iphone was out. I did have more dropped calls on AT&T than Verizon, but AT&T is much better than Sprint. Sprint is the absolute worst carrier I've personally experienced. I tolerated that service for 3 months and was more than happy to pay their $200 early termination fee to get rid of it.

If rumors are correct and the Iphone does make it to Verizon, I think I'll be shorting RIM stock. Corporate users aside, a large portion of Blackberrys are sold to personal users these days.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

lots of reviews here on the cell phone section that say the droid is great, but....
if you can wait, the google nexus one should be coming to verizon in the spring, and thats suppose be that much better than the droid.
and just to make it more interesting, everyone says the iphone will be going to verizon as well, AND theres suppose to be a new iphone coming out in the summer.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Contributors

I've been looking at the Motorola Milestone too (called Droid in the US) and it's looking like it'll be my next phone. Here's a good 7-page review:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mo...e-659789/review
Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='1092464' date='Jan 17 2010, 03:15 PM
I've had phones on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. I have to agree with Scott. There is no equal to Verizon's service. I had the AT&T service before the Iphone was out. I did have more dropped calls on AT&T than Verizon, but AT&T is much better than Sprint. Sprint is the absolute worst carrier I've personally experienced. I tolerated that service for 3 months and was more than happy to pay their $200 early termination fee to get rid of it.

If rumors are correct and the Iphone does make it to Verizon, I think I'll be shorting RIM stock. Corporate users aside, a large portion of Blackberrys are sold to personal users these days.
+1. Prior to having AT&T, I had Sprint as my wireless carrier. It was, indeed, even worse than AT&T.

It looks like I will get the Droid and then if the iPhone comes to Verizon, my wife will take the Droid and then I'll get the iPhone. That's what it looks like we are going to do. I am keeping my BB for my work email.

If only RIM would develop a BB with a world class web brower. If it doesn't, RIM may be in deep trouble. Businesses are starting to support iPhone for email. My firm (a law firm, not some trendy advertising agency or cutting edge tech company) is. With businesses like my firm now rolling out iPhone, that's bad news for and a real threat to RIM. I cannot believe that RIM can't figure out how to make an outstanding web browser.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Out here in the Bay Area, Sprint has pretty excellent coverage and a fantastic data network. As I said above, your perception of your carrier totally depends on a) where you live and b) where you travel.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1092563' date='Jan 17 2010, 07:19 PM
Out here in the Bay Area, Sprint has pretty excellent coverage and a fantastic data network. As I said above, your perception of your carrier totally depends on a) where you live and b) where you travel.
You're right about location being everything. In Washington DC and NYC, my Sprint phone was the absolute pits. And as bad as my AT&T phone was in NYC, it wasn't nearly as bad in other cities.

Quick Reply: Motorola Droid on Verizon Wireless -- Any Reviews?