Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Montoya to Nascar !?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocking as it is, Montoya is going to drive Nascar in 2007.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/28230/

In an interview in Speed he mentioned he wanted to get back to "racing", that if you bumped a wheel in formula one you would be considered an animal.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='308533' date='Jul 9 2006, 12:34 PM
In an interview in speed he mentioned he wanted to get back to "racing", that if you bumped a wheel in formula one you would be considered an animal .
NASCAR is the racing equivalent of watching 5 year olds play Soccer/Football. I hope he can retire on the pay. :thumbsdown:
Old 07-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='308533' date='Jul 9 2006, 09:34 AM

In an interview in Speed he mentioned he wanted to get back to "racing", that if you bumped a wheel in formula one you would be considered an animal.
I was at the F1GP at Indianapolis last week where he (effectively) started the sequence of events that took out 7 cars on the first corner. I like him as a driver but JPM's been bumping more than just the odd wheel whilst he's been in F1......
Old 07-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Wow, that's pretty wild news.

I wonder how the "good old boys" are going to like having a real-life "furriner" driving circles around them?
Old 07-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='308533' date='Jul 9 2006, 10:34 AM

How interesting. Jeff Gordon, a top NASCAR driver, was interviewed during the U.S. F1 race and said he would love to jump to F1 if he could join a top flight team and went on about how he was impressed by F1 cars and F1 drivers' stamina and driving abilities.

I still can't understand the attraction of watching NASCAR vs. F1, but I am in the minority among Americans. I hope Jeff does get a ride and American NASCAR fans follow him to F1. F1 races are currently woefully lacking in redneck diversity!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My favorite quote from JPM was after he'd test driven Gordon's stock car...

"This car could go faster with better brakes!"
Old 07-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Never really been a fan of NASCAR but I have to say that Jeff Gordon is an absolutely top guy and a phenomenal driver. Anyone see the show on Speed where he and JPM traded cars? Jeff got pretty close to JPM's time in the F1 car. If F1 is serious about raising its profile in the US then getting Jeff on board would be huge. Can't see it happening but I'd love to see Jeff in F1. Scott Speed definitely looks like a decent prospect in the Torro Rosso but he's clearly one for the future. Just hoping Tony George can sort out the details so I'm able to go back to Indy for the GP next year!!

And don't get me started on Ecclestone......
Old 07-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

humm... there will be a planned exhibition with some nascar drivers swapping cars with some top drift cars sometime in the next 2 months... this wll be interesting ...will let you know when the date get finalized..
Old 07-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

I've always been a road racing and F1 fan but there is a lot to be said for the show that NASCAR puts on. When they are in the last laps of a 500 mile race and there are still 20 cars within 10 seconds of the lead it makes for pretty good racing. But if you are looking for the latest technology, NASCAR is not the place for you. They're still using carburetors for cryin' out loud!

With F1 you get the latest technology (at least until Mosley gets his way) the international bling and the cool locations. But you seldom get good, tough wheel-to-wheel action after the first two laps.

With NASCAR there is low technology, about 40 races a year and they race all the way to the checkered flag. The top drivers in each series are really good and its hard to make a comparison. Driving a F1 car at the limit takes great skill and finesse. But so does balancing a 3000 pound stock car on the edge of adhesion at 180 mph.

Drivers going from F1 to NASCAR is not unknown but in the past it was usually for one off races and not the entire season. Guys like Gurney did it and won. Also in the 60's the great Jimmy Clark once drove at Daytona if memory serves. I think if anyone can pull it off it will be Montoya. He is a real wheel banging racer and his style suits NASCAR pretty good.

So it should be interesting next year. I am going to watch and enjoy since I like all types of racing.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='308697' date='Jul 9 2006, 08:16 PM
How interesting. Jeff Gordon, a top NASCAR driver, was interviewed during the U.S. F1 race and said he would love to jump to F1 if he could join a top flight team and went on about how he was impressed by F1 cars and F1 drivers' stamina and driving abilities.

I still can't understand the attraction of watching NASCAR vs. F1, but I am in the minority among Americans. I hope Jeff does get a ride and American NASCAR fans follow him to F1. F1 races are currently woefully lacking in redneck diversity!
I'm tired of hearing Gordon say he'd love to be in F1, if only....He made his choice for fenders a long time ago. He'd never risk the drop in pay (inclusive of his US endorsements) now, and his F1 time has passed. NASCAR fans would never follow him to F1, or if they would they wouldn't stay after the first race. It's a very different show in F1. Not necessarily better or worse, just not what they'd be used to.

Quick Reply: Montoya to Nascar !?