Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Mileage and Guilt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain!

I was a road warrior for the past 25 years ... regularly piling up 60K-80K miles every year. With regular maintenance and a little luck the BMW's made the chore of commuting a lot less boring. That said, and while highway miles are usually less stressful on the car ... I always took a beating when it was time to sell them.

No dealer ever gave me a fair shot on a trade in. Even though I was usually the only person in the car and they looked very very clean (No smoke, No food, no rips or tears ... etc etc) the mileage was a killer. But, I just couldn't bear the thought of doing that kind of a commute in a Corolla or Civic - not that they aren't great little and very reliable cars!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='532733' date='Feb 18 2008, 01:23 PM
Can you imagine how many people would love to have your problem....................
+1...in fact I have the opposite problem to you, i.e. I have a 3er & 5er (bought them because I like the look of them) but they sit idle on my drive most of the time because my company insists I use their cheap company cars for travel (otherwise I can't claim expenses - they are mean ).
Old 04-04-2008, 03:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='532516' date='Feb 17 2008, 10:31 PM
OK so heres the story.

I have 2 BMWs, a 3er and a 5er. Everyday drive is 3 and weekend is usually 5.

My everyday commute is like 70 miles round trip and so far in just 8 months, I have put 15K miles on my 3. With this rate, in just 5 years either of my cars would probably become over 100K miles!! Cant switch the cars to a cheaper brand. Cant change work location. Cant take train or bus due to weired job hours. IM STUCK!!

Thanks I just wanted to vent out.
I'm just adding my 2 cents to the conversation so please do not take this as a dig on you...

I average over 120+ miles per day since I have a field position with my company. I've had days where I have driven 300+. My territory goes from Western Massachusetts all the way to Cape Cod, and RI as well so I have locations spread out everywhere. So my question to you would be why do you think you are stuck? I'm sure you work hard in order to afford your cars so you should just be enjoying them when you are in them. I look at it this way. I spend about 2-6 hrs a day in my car. I don't care about the mileage. That's what your car is for...to drive and enjoy it. As soon as you buy a car it's a depreciating item so unless you plan on keeping it in the garage and saving it as a collectors item then you should be driving it as much as possible and never worrying about the mileage. I hope to get 150K+ miles out of this car in the next 3 or more years then I will sell or trade it for another one...then do it all over again.

I'm lucky enough that part of my job is driving around all day. It's much more fun than going to work and letting your car sit in a parking lot for 8 hrs!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My condition has improved. I feel a little better now putting miles on both of them. I guess I will keep them for another 5 years and so.