Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Manny Pacquiao

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

I love Manny... I made it a point to watch him fight De LaHoya.

BOXING IS DEAD!!!

Name the next fight! Nothing, Nada. No $!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

Originally Posted by lightfytr' post='867147' date='May 3 2009, 07:12 PM
This is a very good point! I think if anyone in boxing right now can beat Floyd Jr, it is Pacquiao... The Pacquiao we saw last night looked very good, and I personally wouldnt bet any money on Floyd this fight.
A beats B in 10 rounds. C beats B in 2 rounds. So, C must be 5 times better or faster than A. NOT !!!!!!

The sweet science doesn?t work like this. Example: Frazier knocks Ali on his butt and wins in a 15 round decision. Foreman beats the crap out of Frazier and wins in a K.O. in two rounds. Did Foreman knock out Ali in round one? No, Ali did the impossible and scored a T.K.O. of Foreman in eight rounds. At that time, Foreman?s style was tiller made for Ali.

Every fighter steps in the ring with finite and variable levels of skill and resources. The Ricky Hatton that Floyd Jr. encountered in round 1 was not the Ricky Hatton that rammed his head in the turnbuckle at the end of the fight. Mayweather slowly dismantled him. The Ricky Hatton that slowly, cautiously plodded straight into Pacquiao certainly wasn?t the same confident fighter that pressured Mayweather in the first three rounds of their fight. Floyd Jr. can hit as hard or harder than Hatton, but had he chose to stand and exchange power punches, Hatton might have hit Floyd Jr. on the chin or liver. Or Floyd?s beautiful laser-like right hand might have landed on Hatton?s forehead or forearm early in the fight ? then with a broken hand, Floyd would?ve been in for a long night when not even impeccable defense could save him.

Nobody in boxing fights as intelligent as Floyd Jr. He?ll maneuver, block, slip, parry, counter and beat you on points. When you tire and make a mental mistake, he?ll knock you flat out with pinpoint accuracy. Unlike De La Hoya and Hatton, Floyd Jr. (like Pacquiao) stays in shape and doesn?t abuse his body. Look at the list of world champions he defeated. A virtual Who?s Who of this boxing era. He?ll only take risks if it is absolutely necessary to win. It?s not about avoiding a brawl and ‟looking good,? it?s about winning and preserving his career. I haven?t had the privilege of seeing early Ray Robinson film, so I can only judge Sugar Ray by his post WWII fights. Contrary to the opinion of the deservingly renowned Emanuel Stewart and entertaining Bert Sugar, I think Floyd?s defense and ability to counter with speed make his performance superior to Ray Robinson (the all time pound for pound champion), but then again, I didn?t see the level of competition Ray Robinson met in the lower weight classes. Only time will tell if Floyd will be remembered in the same light as the great Sugar Ray.

Any fighter can lose and Pacquiao can possibly beat Floyd Jr., but an unlikely set of variables must exist. Pacquiao must learn how to get punches past Floyd?s defense without taking wicked punches himself. Good luck. Pacquiao appears unconcerned about defense? not the characteristic of a truly great elite fighter. Out pointing Floyd won?t be easy because only the best technical fighters have ever even landed a punch on him. When was the last time he was seriously hurt by an opponent?s punch in the ring? ? like never!!! Although Pacquiao is fast and accurate, he?s wide open and easy to hit. A Mayweather/ Pacquiao fight would likely end up being like the result of the Mayweather/Hatton fight. The only way Pacquiao will win this fight is if he can figure out how to make Mayweather give it to him? which in boxing is never outside the range of possibilities.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='867067' date='May 3 2009, 05:44 PM
Mayweather took 10 rounds to beat Hatton. Pacquiao, well, we all know how it went. It's not about "looking good". So who did you bet to win last night Jr?
Who did I have? You wanna know who I had? You talkin to me? Ha Ha Ha. I don't like losing my money. I thought the fight was too close to call, so I kept my money in my pocket. I only bet when I think I have sufficient, reliable and verifiable facts and information enabling me to determine the reasonable likelihood of a clear winner. Then I cross my fingers and pray like everyone else.

Just as crazy Roger Mayweather said, Hatton should?ve been big and strong enough to protect himself by using a good solid jab and his size and strength advantage to slowly get to the smaller Pacquiao. (who is often out of position and easy to hit cleanly with power punches) Pacquiao was able to snatch a easy victory because he viciously jumped on his opponent early? a Pacquiao modus operandi. Since neither Hatton or Pacquiao have any elite level defense to speak of, a judges? decision was very unlikely. This makes betting in this instance very risky. Each fighter had a ‟puncher?s chance.? Had Hatton simply kept his chin down, as he once did, he probably would have absorbed Pacquiao?s punches and it would?ve been a different fight. But he got hit hard early, panicked, forgot or abandoned basic boxing technique, swung for the trees and got caught repeatedly.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by jrbmwenthusiast' post='867313' date='May 3 2009, 08:48 PM
Any fighter can lose...
You're too complicated. So I summed it up for ya.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='867368' date='May 3 2009, 11:36 PM
You're too complicated. So I summed it up for ya.

Ha Ha Ha, you're right. Too much info for this forum. I only wanted to be completely understood.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacFly?' post='867832' date='May 4 2009, 02:32 PM
Great video. I'm just amazed that a fighter who has both genuine respect and concern toward his opponents like Pacquiao can deliver shots with such diabolical intent.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

Originally Posted by MacFly?' post='867832' date='May 4 2009, 12:32 PM
Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by jrbmwenthusiast' post='868180' date='May 4 2009, 08:17 PM
Great video. I'm just amazed that a fighter who has both genuine respect and concern toward his opponents like Pacquiao can deliver shots with such diabolical intent.
When it comes down to it, it's all about business, isn't it?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='868399' date='May 5 2009, 12:54 AM
When it comes down to it, it's all about business, isn't it?
As the old timers used to tell me, "Boxing, this is a HURTS business."

Hurt bodies
Hurt feelings
Hurt relationships
etc.

Quick Reply: Manny Pacquiao