Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

MacBook Pro 17"

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lenovo t series is also energy star gold efficient and EPEAT rated

plus if i want to go to a SSD or add a blu ray drive......I can do that just that and I can do it myself with parts from either lenovo on sale or newegg.

You cant really do that with apple.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='765683' date='Jan 12 2009, 01:00 PM

plus if i want to go to a SSD or add a blu ray drive......I can do that just that and I can do it myself with parts from either lenovo on sale or newegg.

As i suspected you are misinformed or wrong at almost any claim.

First you compare those Lenovo notebooks with the Apple, but neither the Tseries T500 or T400 is a 17" notebook.
Then you say smth aobut the lenovo battery life as being more than 9 hours. i found this on the web:
Evolving out of the 15" T61, the T500 is a standard business-class laptop from Lenovo. Built to be fast and full featured the T Series is based on the new Centrino 2 platform, containing the latest 45nm Intel Core 2 Duos, DDR3 ram and the new Intel X4500HD integrated graphics chip. The T500 also includes a discrete graphics card user switchable option, allowing for better 3D performance while retaining the lower power consumption of the integrated graphics when operating on battery. Starting at 5.8 pounds with a battery life of 4.3 hours, the T500 is an all around powerhouse performer on par with Lenovo's previous offerings.
bare in mind this is a 15" notebook NOT a 17"one.

Also i couldn't find on the web when was the T500 or T400 first introduced. I was seeking for such a date because Apple didn't introduce the mercury free screens only just now, they did it a few months back with the introduction of the new Macbooks.

as for the battery life, that info is on the right and it is pretty accurate. I get 11 hours on a full charge with wifi and brightness up.

You then claim you get that from your notebook BUT YOUR NOTEBOOK IS NOT A 17" model. The bigger the display the more battery drain.

Yes Apple is also gold efficient amongst others with the new Macbooks.

Also you are wrong if you think you can't go SSD with Apple optional/extras. Also you are again wrong if you think you can't do it from newegg. Apple 15" Macbook Pros have removable batteries and removable HDDs or SSDs which is very easy to take out and swap even with parts from newegg.

Bottom line is: Don't get me wrong but just take a look at that Lenovo. No offense but that notebook really look for the price it has. It's just a black ugly plastic thingy. It STILL HAS a track point. WHO ON EARTH still uses that? Sorry but this is no where near Apple. IT's like comparing a honda civic to a Ferrari. They offer on a 15" notebook 64 GB SSD that Apple is offering on the 13" MBA which is the thinnest 13" notebook in the world and the lightest.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

Cool

Sorry couldn't help it....
Attached Thumbnails MacBook Pro 17"-overview_hero.jpg   MacBook Pro 17"-picture_1.png  
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Hey now; no need to be fanboyish about macs. Lets keep it civil.

ok Ill address each one of your points as i can.

the standard battery is a 4-cell from lenovo which only gets 4-5 hours. The 9-cell is what I said gets that type of battery life. I have the 9 cell and I regularly get 11 hours on a full charge.

Im not sure about the date of announcement but I bought my lenovo before apple came out with their new lineup. I think it was about 3-4 weeks after I bought this that apple made their keynote and started selling the new macbooks.

I understand that my model is not a 17inch and I also understand that there is more battery drain due to this. That wasnt my main point though. This was more aimed at the 15 macbook pro.

I know apple is efficient but in their keynote they speak as if they are the only ones who are and how much better their system is because of it.

Well the looks are completely up to the person buying it. A lot of people here in the army in washington use dells and lenovos so it has more of a professional appeal to me than a macbook. The macbooks have seemed to have a younger kid appeal and look to me. Hence why I bought a lenovo. Also apple doesnt give good discounts, even for the military. Lenovo sales are so good that even at 15% its still better.

and as for the trackpad; it comes in very useful when you need to move the mouse around but have 0 wiggle room. Try doing it in a 1151 with full gear and Kevlar.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Contributors

also i can go on newegg and get a bluray drive for my t400 if i so choose to. You cant do that with your macbook. It also depends if that is important to you though.

I use a lot of office 07 and from what ive found the 07 rewrite for apple is rather flawed. A lot of the commands that exist for windows could not be effectively rewritten for the apple platform and I found this to be the case when i had a macbook. I really couldnt do what I needed to do efficiently.

I dont know where you really get off calling lenovo a honda civic and apple a ferrari. That just seems really absurd.

I liked the keyboards of the last macbook pro, that was very nice and it reminds me of the typing experience i have now with my t400.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='765870' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:22 AM
Hey now; no need to be fanboyish about macs. Lets keep it civil.

Also apple doesnt give good discounts, even for the military. Lenovo sales are so good that even at 15% its still better.
But it's OK for you to be "fanboyish" about a mid range laptop from a midrange manufacturer?

As for sales - Apple wins there too. Revenues are greater than Lenovo. As for discounts - the bottom line is that they are rarely available on popular products.

Your other comparisons are, at best, a stretch. Your Lenovo is a good machine, but it gives you absolutely no bragging rights over a MacBook Pro, and you've got little to no basis to make most of the points you're trying to make.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='765881' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:39 AM
But it's OK for you to be "fanboyish" about a mid range laptop from a midrange manufacturer?

As for sales - Apple wins there too. Revenues are greater than Lenovo. As for discounts - the bottom line is that they are rarely available on popular products.

Your other comparisons are, at best, a stretch. Your Lenovo is a good machine, but it gives you absolutely no bragging rights over a MacBook Pro, and you've got little to no basis to make most of the points you're trying to make.

Im not being fanboyish. Im merely pointing out that Apple is trying to announce many things as if they are the only ones to have it or they even invented that technology when it simply isnt true.

Apple accounts for less than 10% of the computing market so their growth is what i suspect you are talking about

Discounts; Apple doesnt discount because they hold such a small market share so they have no need in their eyes to discount their products. They have price floors for their retailers and they must abide by them or they cannot carry their products. Im fairly certain that having price floors or ceilings is illegal. I know it is the car parts from the plants.

If Im wrong about something, please let me know. I have no problem admitting any mistake.

The only points ive been trying to make were these:

Apple was not the first to come out with LCD backlight mercury free screens
8 hour battery life has already been obtained through 9-cell batteries from lenovo
I can add a blu ray drive if i want to; this machine is easy to take apart
The discounts are far better from lenovo

that was it. I like apple. I think they fill a nice lil nitch of computer buying choices and im thankful for that. But i think you can get better performance and technology for less money from other providers

As far as this company being midrange that is really kinda funny. Apple is made in china as well. It has an solid outer casing for stability which is awsome, Lenovo has a very similar solid structure on the inside to prevent flex and damage. It even has a HDD protection mode for spills and drops.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Apple is starting to reaaaaly piss me off with all the BS they always pull. I'm sitting in front of a macbook pro and next to it is a iphone 3g but in all seriousness they are all overpriced. $5000 for a laptop? Are you KIDDING me? I suggest not buying this one and if you want one purchase the previous gen.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='765903' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:16 AM
Im not being fanboyish. Im merely pointing out that Apple is trying to announce many things as if they are the only ones to have it or they even invented that technology when it simply isnt true.

Apple accounts for less than 10% of the computing market so their growth is what i suspect you are talking about

Discounts; Apple doesnt discount because they hold such a small market share so they have no need in their eyes to discount their products. They have price floors for their retailers and they must abide by them or they cannot carry their products. Im fairly certain that having price floors or ceilings is illegal. I know it is the car parts from the plants.

If Im wrong about something, please let me know. I have no problem admitting any mistake.

The only points ive been trying to make were these:

Apple was not the first to come out with LCD backlight mercury free screens
8 hour battery life has already been obtained through 9-cell batteries from lenovo
I can add a blu ray drive if i want to; this machine is easy to take apart
The discounts are far better from lenovo

that was it. I like apple. I think they fill a nice lil nitch of computer buying choices and im thankful for that. But i think you can get better performance and technology for less money from other providers

As far as this company being midrange that is really kinda funny. Apple is made in china as well. It has an solid outer casing for stability which is awsome, Lenovo has a very similar solid structure on the inside to prevent flex and damage. It even has a HDD protection mode for spills and drops.
Lenovo is indeed midrange. Upper end, granted, but midrange.

You can quicker cars cheaper than BMW. But most of here pay a premium for that too.

Your price fixing point is poorly informed speculation.

Your other stuff is conjecture. And if you can point us to a written statement from Apple making false claims post it here and we'll talk.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='765908' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:23 AM
Apple is starting to reaaaaly piss me off with all the BS they always pull. I'm sitting in front of a macbook pro and next to it is a iphone 3g but in all seriousness they are all overpriced. $5000 for a laptop? Are you KIDDING me? I suggest not buying this one and if you want one purchase the previous gen.
The only way you can get an MBP up to 5K is to a) get the 17", upspec the processor to the 2.93 ghz Core 2 Duo, upspec the RAM to 8GB and add a 256GB SSD.

If you added these on almost any other manufacturer's machine you'll be close to the same amount. And you'll have wasted your money because you won't have a Mac.

Quick Reply: MacBook Pro 17"