Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

MacBook Pro 17"

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop...pro?mco=MTE3MDE

PROS
- Official support for 8GB of RAM (finally).

CONS
- Sealed bottom for new battery. What happened to the easily removable memory/hard drive bay acclaimed with the 15".
- $50 for matte finish? Are you kidding me? Matte is the new glossy.
- No quad-core CPU's.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

wow $ 5200 fully hardware loaded. Of course no matte display for me! I'm not a super photo/movie editor/creator and also i don't work where there are very powerful light conditions, so glossy works for me best since it really is (or appears so) more vivid and colorful.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

Hey i found your answer for the missing replacing mechanism of the battery from the 15" models.

Clicky here!

Also iWork 09 and iLife 09 is out. See apple.com
Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Meh... I think it's cool that they engineered it for extended the battery life, but the shoe doesn't always fit.

I find myself tethered to a power source more often than not when using my 15" MacBook Pro in the field. The 17" is more like a desktop replacement and is too big for me to be used a mobile warrior-like machine. I would find easily replaceable hard drives more useful than extended battery life. That's just my 2????.

I'm waiting for Apple to get into the netbook game. MacBook Nano anyone?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The $50 premium is for an anti-glare coating, not for the matt screen per se. As I understood it from the keynote, it's a special coating hence the premium. The battery life is estimated at 8 hours. If that's right, it's well worth the lack of removability for the vast majority of users.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

For as often as Apple "misses" the boat it sure seems to be doing well.

Many of their moves are controversial but in hind sight they are often right. I'm thinking of the iPhone with non-removable battery and glass touch screen along with the dropping of the floppy disk. But then there have been a few miss-es such as the gloss screens but sales figures still do well and they seem to address those errors in future releases (matte screen coating).

The non-removable battery is sure to be an issue but as already pointed out the long life (if true) will be very welcome. I work with LOTS of people who use laptops and it's been years since I've seen someone carry a spare battery around. The non-removable HD might be a bigger issue for me personally but I also know a few people that will buy this laptop just for the 8GB RAM support. Now, how about that Blu-Ray drive?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Contributors

Oh yeah, I forgot about the lack of Blu-Ray.

Overall, it's a solid laptop. I would get one if the price tag wasn't higher than a Mac Pro. It's not a fiscally sound investment, for me at least. I started this post for you guys to chime in and hear your opinion. I had to give it a controversial title to attract attention.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='761201' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:06 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the lack of Blu-Ray.

Overall, it's a solid laptop. I would get one if the price tag wasn't higher than a Mac Pro. It's not a fiscally sound investment, for me at least. I started this post for you guys to chime in and hear your opinion. I had to give it a controversial title to attract attention.

I agree with most of your points here.

My main thing with this new lineup is a few things

LCD backlit mercury free screens: Awesome but they introduced in their keynote as if they are the first to do this. Lenovo had this out in their new T series before apple.
8 Hour battery: Good, more mobility but once again Lenovo with a 9-cell can get around 12-13 hours with integrated, discrete is around the same.

This system is very sleek but that comes at a warranty cost. These cd drives go out often enough to where if it does so out of warranty it will cost 75% of the laptop cost. Ive seen the replacement bill so i know this number is correct.

Its a good system dont get me wrong, but the way apple presents it in their keynote is that they are the ones leading with these advances and im sorry to say that Lenovo has had this out for a bit.....with bluray drives.

Plus Lenovo has sales all the time. My t400 config costs over $2200 and with all the sales and discounts i paid $1400 shipped.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='765622' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:52 AM
I agree with most of your points here.

My main thing with this new lineup is a few things

LCD backlit mercury free screens: Awesome but they introduced in their keynote as if they are the first to do this. Lenovo had this out in their new T series before apple.
8 Hour battery: Good, more mobility but once again Lenovo with a 9-cell can get around 12-13 hours with integrated, discrete is around the same.

This system is very sleek but that comes at a warranty cost. These cd drives go out often enough to where if it does so out of warranty it will cost 75% of the laptop cost. Ive seen the replacement bill so i know this number is correct.

Its a good system dont get me wrong, but the way apple presents it in their keynote is that they are the ones leading with these advances and im sorry to say that Lenovo has had this out for a bit.....with bluray drives.

Plus Lenovo has sales all the time. My t400 config costs over $2200 and with all the sales and discounts i paid $1400 shipped.
Can you post some links that back-up your claims? Both mercury free and battery life of the lenovo (i assume 17" model)?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='765656' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:51 AM
Can you post some links that back-up your claims? Both mercury free and battery life of the lenovo (i assume 17" model)?

of course I can here you go

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/control...tab-container-5

its on both the left and right hand side of the screen.

as for the battery life, that info is on the right and it is pretty accurate. I get 11 hours on a full charge with wifi and brightness up.

Quick Reply: MacBook Pro 17"