Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Lufthansa tries to land in a storm

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:57 AM
ipp
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by BizyB' post='538950' date='Mar 3 2008, 10:44 AM
I've been on one such landing attempts (exactly the same situation stormy & pilot missed 2 attempts) . The message from the captain (in a nervous voice) on the intercom was "There is traffic on the runway, nothing to worry about" - Yeah, as if any of the frightened passengers believed that. Of course I was not scared at all .
Scary landing! My landing in London last friday wasn't the nicest of landings either. I'm not easily scared, but that one made me wake up...

BizyB:
That signature picture isn't OK. It takes up exactly my whole laptop sceen...
Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

It's never good thing when you can see the runway center line......and you are NOT the pilot.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='538944' date='Mar 3 2008, 10:17 AM
Looks like he caught a gust at the last moment there... he was heading for a near-perfect crosswind landing until that last second.
That's what happened. And they did what they were trained to do.

Both, pilot and his female co-pilot, were back flying today.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Accident avoidance ... tough situation handled superbly by the crew and avionics systems. The person videoing the landing must have been in total disbelief but fortunate to record the attempted landing and safe recovery.

With the wind conditions I wonder why Air Traffic Control gave them a green light for the landing.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow nice. I have a few of those vids... one from the old HK airport which is SHORT... if they dont make it they're in the water... and one from a of a Boeing 747 cross wind test landing... those were pretty neat... let me see if i can find it post it here.

Haha I knew youtube would have a version of it.

Watch the rudders
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=yfPaucaqlTgWe should appreciate test pilots...

Heres a good one in cross wind... look how well the landing gears are designed on the 747... thats A LOT of weight on the left main landing gear.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=n09m-jSX_qQ&feature=related
Wow a F18!
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=bKqO6gdJIz8&feature=related
Couple of nice landing and take offs

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=feGZ4l5fk4Q&feature=related
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYiV9c2HQqw&NR=1
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIQUo5Si_WA&feature=related
Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='539224' date='Mar 3 2008, 06:32 PM
With the wind conditions I wonder why Air Traffic Control gave them a green light for the landing.
It isn't their call. They provide the weather info (actually, a broadcast on a certain frequency does that), and it's up to the pilot as long as the airport is open.

I'm not sure what the maximum crosswind is for that plane, but it looks like he was handling it just fine until the gust at the end. All in all, a pretty good landing attempt. Not one I'd want to experience, though.

I was flying into Orlando last Tuesday during the thunderstorm (and hurricane warning). Looking out my left: not a bad day. Looking out my right: blackness with lightning every ten seconds. And I swore I could see someone on a broom yelling "I'll get you my pretty - and your little dog, too!"

At around 2,000 feet the plan dropped so much that I would have hit the ceiling if I wasn't buckled in. I've never heard people scream like that on a plane.

I've never liked flying.... the whole "loss of control" thing for a control freak like me isn't good. I thought I'd feel better after taking flying lessons, but now it's worse because I can tell when the pilot screws up. And they do... more than you'd want to know.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='539351' date='Mar 3 2008, 10:43 PM
It isn't their call. They provide the weather info (actually, a broadcast on a certain frequency does that), and it's up to the pilot as long as the airport is open.

I'm not sure what the maximum crosswind is for that plane, but it looks like he was handling it just fine until the gust at the end. All in all, a pretty good landing attempt. Not one I'd want to experience, though.
You're correct that it is up to the pilot in command and not the controllers but I'm not too sure that the guy was being very smart about things (even though he almost landed it the first time and did successfully land it the second time.)

I don't know the exact crosswind component that pilot was facing (nor do I know the maximum demonstrated crosswind component of that particular aircraft) but it seemed to me that it was pretty severe. I think most airlines have a maximum allowable crosswind that their pilots are allowed to land in even if it's below the maximum that the plane has demonstrated through test flights.

In this video, to my eyes, the plane's crab angle seemed pretty severe which leaves little room for pilot error or additional wind gusting. It'll be interesting to see if Lufthansa takes any disciplinary action against the pilot for taking such a risk.

I know we have more knowledgeable pilots (and controllers) on this board (I'm just a priviate, single-engine VFR) so I'd love to hear more from the "experts" about this topic. The plane was landing in Hamburg, Germany -- I'm surprised that there wasn't a more favorable runway to use in this case. Pretty much every airport beyond some very small ones have more than one runway to help prevent these things from happening. Did this airport have another runway available? (Maybe the alternate runway wasn't long enough for the Airbus?)

Just my .02 cents....
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='539377
In this video, to my eyes, the plane's crab angle seemed pretty severe which leaves little room for pilot error or additional wind gusting. It'll be interesting to see if Lufthansa takes any disciplinary action against the pilot for taking such a risk.
Yeah, I saw that crab angle and expected the landing gear to snap when he touched down since they were at about a 45 degree angle to the runway. Amazing what these planes can take.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='539377' date='Mar 4 2008, 05:11 AM
You're correct that it is up to the pilot in command and not the controllers but I'm not too sure that the guy was being very smart about things (even though he almost landed it the first time and did successfully land it the second time.)

I don't know the exact crosswind component that pilot was facing (nor do I know the maximum demonstrated crosswind component of that particular aircraft) but it seemed to me that it was pretty severe. I think most airlines have a maximum allowable crosswind that their pilots are allowed to land in even if it's below the maximum that the plane has demonstrated through test flights.

I know we have more knowledgeable pilots (and controllers) on this board (I'm just a priviate, single-engine VFR) so I'd love to hear more from the "experts" about this topic. The plane was landing in Hamburg, Germany -- I'm surprised that there wasn't a more favorable runway to use in this case. Pretty much every airport beyond some very small ones have more than one runway to help prevent these things from happening. Did this airport have another runway available? (Maybe the alternate runway wasn't long enough for the Airbus?)

Just my .02 cents....
That day there was a severe storm ("Emma") over Europe.
Another Runway or another airport would have been the same.

The Runways in Hamburg are long enough for bigger airplanes than the one in the vdeo.

The flight crew was back flying a day later, so no disciplinary actions were taken, and probably will never be taken.
He was attempting to land in a storm, and did pretty good... until the last second... THAT he couldn't knew... and reacted perfectly.
This is all considered normal...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='539566' date='Mar 4 2008, 11:51 AM
That day there was a severe storm ("Emma") over Europe.
Another Runway or another airport would have been the same.

The Runways in Hamburg are long enough for bigger airplanes than the one in the vdeo.
Not all runways would have been the same. Depending on the airport, there should have been a runway that was positioned more favorably for the current wind direction so that a crosswind landing could be avoided. (You always want to take off and land into the wind, not in the same direction as or perpendicular to it.

Unless that was the only available runway in Hamburg, I don't understand why they chose that one...

Quick Reply: Lufthansa tries to land in a storm